Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Questions about PCV (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/questions-about-pcv-2263.html)

Compaq888 06-07-2006 12:51 AM

Questions about PCV

I want to change out my PCV valve and at the same time install a PCV catch can but everytime I try I run into problems.

Problem #1, Is the hose from the PCV to intake manifold rubber?? Because whenever I touch it, it's rubber but it's stiff like metal. I thought it has metal underneath it and has rubber as a sleeve. I heard people say that they make the rubber hose stuff so it can handle the pressure there. So is it rubber or is it metal and has a rubber sleeve?

Problem #2, My PCV is not the screw on type. It's the pop on type. Which is the best way to take it out??? I have the breather/separator then PCV then I have that stiff rubber line attached to the PCV by a small clamp and the rubber line connects to the Intake manifold, where it's also held on by a small clamp. So what do I do to take the PCV valve out?? Get the clamp off, rip the PCV out the breather/separator????

GasSavers_katman 06-07-2006 05:01 AM

The hose has probably gotten brittle and hard. Just go to your favorite parts store with your old one and they can cut you off a new piece of hose.

thisisntjared 06-07-2006 09:49 AM

i dont know nissans, but the hose isnt exposed to pressure, only vacuum.

mine just pulls out. and i think katman is probably right about dry rot.

Compaq888 06-07-2006 10:54 AM

I'm going to replace the hose anyway with the PCV catch can and new hose. So how do I go about removing the PCV, which part I remove first???

thisisntjared 06-07-2006 10:56 AM

who cares???? its a hose. does it matter?

95metro 06-07-2006 11:06 AM

I think he means how to remove the actual valve since it's a "pop-on" type.

Compaq, I'm not certain how to go about it, but if you don't have a Haynes or Chiltons manual for your vehicle go get one. It will explain the procedure. I've bought one for every vehicle I've worked on - they're cheap and worth a thousand times their weight in gold.

Compaq888 06-07-2006 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95metro
I think he means how to remove the actual valve since it's a "pop-on" type.

Compaq, I'm not certain how to go about it, but if you don't have a Haynes or Chiltons manual for your vehicle go get one. It will explain the procedure. I've bought one for every vehicle I've worked on - they're cheap and worth a thousand times their weight in gold.

I have it but it doesn't explain anything. I have the FSM too and that doesn't explain anything either.

Compaq888 06-07-2006 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisntjared
who cares???? its a hose. does it matter?

I know a guy who replaced his PCV at 70k and his PCV valve didn't work at all. It's bad for the engine not to have a working PCV valve. I'm at 70k too.

thisisntjared 06-07-2006 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
I know a guy who replaced his PCV at 70k and his PCV valve didn't work at all. It's bad for the engine not to have a working PCV valve. I'm at 70k too.

i dont see how that has to do with anything i just said.

if it pops in the it should just pop out. this isnt rocket science, have you worked on you car before?

and why did you respond with 2 posts? thats weird.

Compaq888 06-07-2006 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisntjared
i dont see how that has to do with anything i just said.

if it pops in the it should just pop out. this isnt rocket science, have you worked on you car before?

and why did you respond with 2 posts? thats weird.

Ok I will try that method. I tried like 2 times to take it out with no luck.