Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   an increase of 20mpg cost me... (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/an-increase-of-20mpg-cost-me-2268.html)

chesspirate 06-07-2006 11:15 PM

an increase of 20mpg cost me...

around $16,000.

I bought a new Toyota Yaris, freeway rated 39 but i've read a lot of people doing much better than this without any mods, so i plan on averaging about 40mpg with my granny driving style.

The truck is still running well, and beating other trucks of it's type gas-mileage wise everyday of the week, just time to move on, move up, and save some gas

Matt Timion 06-07-2006 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chesspirate
around $16,000.

I bought a new Toyota Yaris, freeway rated 39 but i've read a lot of people doing much better than this without any mods, so i plan on averaging about 40mpg with my granny driving style.

The truck is still running well, and beating other trucks of it's type gas-mileage wise everyday of the week, just time to move on, move up, and save some gas

COOL!

BTW, welcome back. I havn't seen you in a while.

Compaq888 06-07-2006 11:21 PM

did you get the 2 door or the 4 door, manual or auto, color??? Details!!!!!!!

JanGeo 06-08-2006 01:32 AM

Yaris

CONGRATULATIONS!! You have my motor and tranny I think with smaller tires - break her in real easy - gentle revs and not a lot of heavy gas pedal and you will get really high mileage. You have to polish the bores under light load with easy revs. Try not to lug it. I still have not seen one close up yet. Get a ScanGaugeII you will love it!

95metro 06-08-2006 06:28 AM

Yay! Finally! A Yaris owner...I've been wanting to see how one of those will perform.

philmcneal 06-08-2006 09:43 AM

yeah yaris has great potenial. IF FASED to the bone.

Compaq888 06-08-2006 02:54 PM

The car has great potential. The first thing I'd do is the tires, go 40+. Next remove the spare and jack. Then do some underbelly stuff.

Matt Timion 06-08-2006 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
Next remove the spare and jack.

I have no idea why you're such an advocate of removing the spare and the jack. Removing 30 lbs isnt' going to do a thing for fuel economy. My best tank was when the car had 4 people in it and was full of luggage.

there's also the issue of safety and practicality. I've been stuck with a flat without a spare once, and it will never happen again.

EVER.

Compaq888 06-08-2006 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
I have no idea why you're such an advocate of removing the spare and the jack. Removing 30 lbs isnt' going to do a thing for fuel economy. My best tank was when the car had 4 people in it and was full of luggage.

there's also the issue of safety and practicality. I've been stuck with a flat without a spare once, and it will never happen again.

EVER.

I drive on the streets most of the time and weight matters there. The less weight the car is on the street the less fuel the car will spend.

diamondlarry 06-08-2006 03:25 PM

Quote:

I drive on the streets most of the time and weight matters there. The less weight the car is on the street the less fuel the car will spend.

That may be true, but if you have a flat and have to call a tow truck, it could eat up whatever miniscule savings you may get; several times over. Just my $.02 worth.

zpiloto 06-08-2006 03:32 PM

Quote:

around $16,000.

How about a ride report. Only seen the ads but really like the car. :cool:Have you made it through a tank yet? Flats with no spare=no fun:mad:

krousdb 06-08-2006 04:11 PM

Quote:

I find that driving on the streets yields the best FE. When you drive over curbs, sidewalks, front lawns and pedestrians it just kills your FE. And don't get me started about driving thru lakes and other various bodies of water. The hydro drag is atrocious.:D

95metro 06-08-2006 04:13 PM

lol! :D :D

thisisntjared 06-08-2006 04:17 PM

Quote:

we arent talking about you or your, capitan selfabsorbtion.

Compaq888 06-08-2006 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisntjared
we arent talking about you or your, capitan selfabsorbtion.

I didn't bring the issue up. I just recommended what should be done to increase the FE on the new car. And it's General, not captain. Can't you see the flight suit, I sure earned my wings eerr stars.

thisisntjared 06-08-2006 04:31 PM

Quote:

I didn't bring the issue up. I just recommended what should be done to increase the FE on the new car.

Quote:

The first thing I'd do is the tires, go 40+. Next remove the spare and jack. Then do some underbelly stuff.

whatever you say capitan. your talking abuot what you would do. there is a very very high probability that chesspirate is not you.

Compaq888 06-08-2006 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisntjared
whatever you say capitan. your talking abuot what you would do. there is a very very high probability that chesspirate is not you.

That is why I recommended. This only opinion, he can do whatever he wants with it. This forum is just a collection of opinion, this isn't the army where we can only post orders.

Or am I missing something???

philmcneal 06-08-2006 08:02 PM

just enjoy the car, id know i would.

chesspirate 06-12-2006 07:13 PM

Okay, sorry it took a while to update, but i wanted to wait for a fill up!

Okay, so we picked it up mid-week and then filled up Sunday evening. Can't remember exactly the trip mileage, but i do remember that i came out with slightly better than 35mpg's.

Lot's to explain about that number though. The car is the 4door sedan, the mid level Yaris. I wanted the 2dr hatchback originally for work-(i work in real estate and carry signs, thus my truck) but they didn't have one on the lot, actually only had one Yaris on the lot and that's what we took. The trunk is HUGE! I mean, i could not imagine the room it has, I can fit a bunch of signage without folding down the seats, and i can fit plenty more when i do.

Okay, so it's a four door with an auto tranny, for those that don't know it has the 1.5L that comes in the Scion XB'x and XA's, not sure about the TC's. EPA rating is 34city 39hgwy.

My first tank wasn't a gas-run at all. Lots of up and down reving, the manual just suggests changing the rpm's regularly and suggested shifting to keep things changin' so a couple of long held 2nds and 3rds with varying speeds on the freeway from about 65-80 back and forth. So, as you might guess i was pleasantly surprised to get 35. I can't wait till i start driving more gas-minded.

It's funny, but i got carried away at the dealership and was thinking of all the stuff i could strip off the car to save weight!!! i'm not going to do anything for a while but it did cross my mind.

any other questions? i'm ready to answer

and thanks for the welcome back Matt, I've been very very busy and felt left out of the gas-mileage upper ranks sitting in the low 20's with the truck even though that was a good upgrade from base

SVOboy 06-12-2006 07:15 PM

Why auto!?!?

chesspirate 06-12-2006 07:26 PM

I enjoy driving auto better, and the wife will NOT drive stick, and this is "our" car even though i drive it 99.9% of the time.

Also the EPA rating is the same in the city at 34 and only 1mpg better on the freeway for the stick at 40 to 39.

I'm just a lazy driver honestly.

SVOboy 06-12-2006 07:30 PM

The epa estimates are tricky like that, just ask dan, with the stick getting a lower epa estimate but much higher lifetime pimpage.

Matt Timion 06-12-2006 07:48 PM

Quote:

I enjoy driving auto better, and the wife will NOT drive stick, and this is "our" car even though i drive it 99.9% of the time.

Also the EPA rating is the same in the city at 34 and only 1mpg better on the freeway for the stick at 40 to 39.

I'm just a lazy driver honestly.

I'm also guessing that the automatic is CVT, so it's a much better situation mileage-wise for most drivers.

Oh, don't forget the gaslog!

chesspirate 06-12-2006 08:39 PM

i don't think it's CVT.

I have D, 3, 2, L..... sounds like 1-4 to me, and i can feel the shift points.

I think the CVT would only be available on a higher priced model

philmcneal 06-13-2006 12:57 AM

haha that higher priced model is the prius, i can't afford a new one so i'm looking into used ones at the moment ;)efficency without the work, I think its worth the price :)

chesspirate 06-16-2006 11:38 AM

little update

just filled up thurs night. Over 39mpg!!! And i'm still not in mpg "mode".

The care is all stock from factory, I haven't touched a darn thing, and my driving style is still more about 'break-in' than mileage. And that's in mixed driving, using the A/C a little bit too. I'm getting really excited about the mileage potential with this thing as a base.

I also read somewhere that the Yaris has a CD of .29 can anyone veryify that??

I also saw a 'liftback' model at the dealer, way uglier than I expected, i really like my sedan.

95metro 06-16-2006 11:44 AM

Great result chesspirate! Yup, I can definitely see myself getting an Echo or Yaris once they are down to $5k-$6k on the used market.

zpiloto 06-16-2006 11:49 AM

Quote:

just filled up thurs night. Over 39mpg!!! And i'm still not in mpg "mode".

The care is all stock from factory, I haven't touched a darn thing, and my driving style is still more about 'break-in' than mileage. And that's in mixed driving, using the A/C a little bit too. I'm getting really excited about the mileage potential with this thing as a base.

I also read somewhere that the Yaris has a CD of .29 can anyone veryify that??

I also saw a 'liftback' model at the dealer, way uglier than I expected, i really like my sedan.

The commercial for the Yaris kind of hooked me. I guess I'll have to wait 5-6 years and buy a used one.:) Put it in your garage so we can see how it does in real world driving.:cool: Congrats on the car. Got any pic's.

LincolnW 06-16-2006 12:57 PM

Congrats on the Yaris!

I think Toyota has hit the nail on the head once again with the Yaris. They are marketing masters over there.

Ever since I saw the Yaris at last year's auto show I have been interested in them. I didn't get a chance to check them out up close so I need to get over to the dealership one of these days.

I'm definately interested in hearing what you like/dislike about it after driving it for a while, as well as the MPG it gets. Any pics?

95metro 06-16-2006 01:07 PM

Chesspirate - you should start a Gaslog for the Yaris. We would all be interested to see more data. You'll appreciate it down the road too. I wish I had done this for all of my vehicles.

Compaq888 06-17-2006 04:18 AM

over 39mpg is great.

scott90 01-22-2008 03:22 AM

I'm struggling to achieve 40mpg on my yaris.

I have to start driving properly!

Welcome!