Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Aftermarket Cruise Control (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/aftermarket-cruise-control-2316.html)

Mighty Mira 06-13-2006 11:55 PM

Aftermarket Cruise Control

Has anyone installed one of these and actually been happy with it?

The reason I ask is that I paid a shop to install one once (that I had bought), and it worked badly.

Basically it would work ok on the level, but as soon as it began to climb a hill the cruise control would stop working.

The shop had said something about the car (a camry) not having enough vacuum to do the job right.

Any idea what had happened, any success stories with self installation on little cars, and any pointers to good commercial products?

Thanks in advance,
MM

GeoMetry 06-14-2006 01:13 AM

I added an Audiovox CCS-100 to my Metro and have been very satisfied. Here is a link to a little Metro How to.

GasSavers_Jack 06-14-2006 05:43 AM

I had one a few years ago on a Toyota Tacoma that was installed by my brother that is a mechanic at the local dealer and it never worked right. Best of luck.

Mighty Mira 06-14-2006 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeoMetry
I added an Audiovox CCS-100 to my Metro and have been very satisfied. Here is a link to a little Metro How to.

How does that work with a manual car? I've never had cruise on a manual car before, you have one, I'd be curious to know how it worked.

GasSavers_brick 06-14-2006 08:23 AM

Cruise control works just fine on a manual car, but mine is factory-installed so I can't tell you anything about aftermarket. The only difference is the addition of a sensor that disengages CC as soon as you begin to step on the clutch pedal. It works seamlessly on the Honda, and I often clutch directly from a cruise when I want to initiate a neutral coast.

Mighty Mira 06-14-2006 04:50 PM

Thanks Brick, but I'd like to know from GeoMetry because it might determine whether I get the audiovox or not.

krousdb 08-24-2006 03:33 PM

I think I will be needing to install CC now that i will have a long commute. I remember someone mentioning one that had a control that you could adjust how hard it made the engine work to hold the selected speed. I cant find the post on that. Does anyone remember that one? Also, besides the Audiovox in this thread, any other recommendations?

SVOboy 08-24-2006 03:38 PM

What happened to hand controlled throttle lock? I still say you could do it with another cable and an auto throttle wheel.

SVOboy 08-24-2006 05:02 PM

Well, basically a cable hooked up the the throttle somehow with a clamp so rather than cruise control by speed it's done by throttle position, :)

GasSavers_scostanz 08-24-2006 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krousdb
I think I will be needing to install CC now that i will have a long commute. I remember someone mentioning one that had a control that you could adjust how hard it made the engine work to hold the selected speed. I cant find the post on that. Does anyone remember that one? Also, besides the Audiovox in this thread, any other recommendations?

If you're good with wiring, you could always go with factory cruise. I did it on my DX and have been very happy with the result. It was a lot of work though. I can give more details if you're interested.

-- Scott