Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Fuelly Web Support and Community News (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Window Stickers (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/window-stickers-2363.html)

GasSavers_Jack 06-23-2006 05:21 AM

Window Stickers

I have never felt the urge to put any websites sticker on my car before. But I would but buy and display a Gassaver.org sticker if some were to be put up for sale. I was thinking the white lettering on clear.

Just a suggestion if anyone else wants to get some made.

Thanks,

Jack

GasSavers_DaX 06-23-2006 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack
I have never felt the urge to put any websites sticker on my car before. But I would but buy and display a Gassaver.org sticker if some were to be put up for sale. I was thinking the white lettering on clear.

Just a suggestion if anyone else wants to get some made.

Thanks,

Jack

We had this discussion a few months ago. My local sticker shop could do them for $7 each (I think...I'll try to find the old thread), but nobody showed that much interest for me to start getting them made. If interest flared up, I would definately go get them made.

EDIT

HERE is the link to the old thread.

SVOboy 06-23-2006 06:10 AM

I want some but I don't have that much money, grr! I don't even have a Dartmouth sticker cuz after shipping it's like 15 dollars.

LincolnW 06-23-2006 06:52 AM

There are companies that will do it for less than $7 each, you just have to buy a bunch at one time.

That's always a good way to raise funds for the site. Make them for like $4 each, and sell them for $10 or more. Many sites consider it donating to the site but when you donate you get a free sticker. lol

Matt Timion 06-23-2006 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90CivicStandard
There are companies that will do it for less than $7 each, you just have to buy a bunch at one time.

That's always a good way to raise funds for the site. Make them for like $4 each, and sell them for $10 or more. Many sites consider it donating to the site but when you donate you get a free sticker. lol

I would like to do this actually. I had looked at a few places but got distracted with a number of other things since. I was considering doing stickers and license plate frames. Looks like something I'll have to look into again soon.

95metro 06-23-2006 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX
My local sticker shop could do them for $7 each

This seems expensive to me since we could have them done just in white vinyl lettering. They are still really easy to put on - I could do a "how-to" thread.

I know people like white-on-clear decals and such, but lettering is WAY cheaper. I'm certain we could get them for $1-$2 a piece. I'll e-mail a sign-company I frequently do business with and ask.

How big should they be? I would think that just the words gassavers.org around 10" long (1.25" top to bottom of the "g") would be fine. I don't want some bigass sticker on my car.

EDIT: I just calculated it out from my signmaking days memories and they actually work out to around $0.80 a piece (possibly more, possibly less...yes, and in CDN funds!). I will still get a real quote. Matt, I wouldn't mind ordering these and shipping them to you. How many do you think we would need?

GasSavers_DaX 06-23-2006 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95metro
This seems expensive to me since we could have them done just in white vinyl lettering. They are still really easy to put on - I could do a "how-to" thread.

I know people like white-on-clear decals and such, but lettering is WAY cheaper. I'm certain we could get them for $1-$2 a piece. I'll e-mail a sign-company I frequently do business with and ask.

How big should they be? I would think that just the words gassavers.org around 10" long (1.25" top to bottom of the "g") would be fine. I don't want some bigass sticker on my car.

EDIT: I just calculated it out from my signmaking days memories and they actually work out to around $0.80 a piece (possibly more, possibly less...yes, and in CDN funds!). I will still get a real quote. Matt, I wouldn't mind ordering these and shipping them to you. How many do you think we would need?

My only suggestion (as stated in the previous thread) is to make the stickers say "GasSavers.org" and not "gassavers.org."

If you can get vinyl lettering that cheap, I'm all for it.

95metro 06-23-2006 09:53 AM

Okay, good point, DaX. Once I get a quote I'll post it and an image of the final product. I've been talking to Matt about ordering them so we'll see what happens.

Matt Timion 06-23-2006 10:01 AM

Quote:

Okay, good point, DaX. Once I get a quote I'll post it and an image of the final product. I've been talking to Matt about ordering them so we'll see what happens.

I'll email you a file with the font I use as well as the text.

As for selling them, I have no desire (nor do I think it's possible) to make a ton of money on stickers, so the market wouldn't be too high. I'd probably send one to anyone who has already donated money to the site for free.

95metro 06-23-2006 10:05 AM

Humanist 521 Extra Bold Condensed...:D (or Antique Olive depending on program and time period of the font)

GasSavers_DaX 06-23-2006 10:54 AM

I'll just donate MORE money if you send me one :D

Matt Timion 06-23-2006 11:00 AM

Quote:

Humanist 521 Extra Bold Condensed...:D (or Antique Olive depending on program and time period of the font)

Yeah, I think Humanist 521 is right. I forgot that I'm talking to someone who deals with fonts all day :)

I'll send you a PM in a second.

95metro 06-23-2006 12:00 PM

Sticker Sizes

Okay, here are some examples of what the stickers would look like at various sizes (8, 10, and 12 inches long). My back window is 46 in. - scale is approximate, but pretty close.

8 inches

10 inches

12 inches

Hmmm, maybe 9 in. would be a good compromise between the size of 8 in. and the legibility of 10 in.

EDIT: removed the pics from my site because my allowed bandwidth is really low...

SVOboy 06-24-2006 08:36 AM

Nice nice! I wonder what that'd look like on my little weird back glass thing, :)

XFi 06-24-2006 04:37 PM

YEAaaaH! Finally bumper stickers/decals in the works :)

budomove 06-24-2006 04:46 PM

I'd buy one. or two.

SVOboy 06-24-2006 04:48 PM

Indeed, I'm so down.

Matt Timion 06-25-2006 01:09 AM

Just so you all know, 95Metro is currently looking for a company to help with the production. With any luck stickers will be available soon at a minimal cost.

In the near future I'm also going to look at plastic license plate frames for people who don't want a sticker in their window :)

GasSavers_DaX 06-25-2006 06:09 AM

Glad someone is running with this ball.

budomove 06-25-2006 06:28 AM

One thing we might all want to think about.

How much weight will these decals add to our vehicles.

I would be willing to run a test to see if we should expect a change in mpg.

Probably minimal, but worth looking into.

JanGeo 06-25-2006 07:50 AM

Hey is that white lettering on the outside of the rear window - I had problems with vinyl lettering only lasting about 1 year because of the black paint inside the glass edges making it get really hot in the summer the letters pealed off - ice and snow in the winter didn't help much either.
Printing white on clear is a little tricky but I have done other colors including full color with a thermal resin transfer computer printer on clear vinyl and stuck them on the inside of the Geo rear side window and they lasat forever there without fading.

Think in terms of the mailing size also - extra postage for odd shaped envelopes.

95metro 06-26-2006 06:52 AM

Yes, the white lettering would be on the outside. It should last 3-5 years easy, but yes, it is better to put it on a clearer portion of the window rather than on the black rim.

Thermal printed is only designed for a 3 year life span, but can last longer. However, it also costs 2 - 3 times as much for the decals. I'm looking for the ultra cheapo method.

No quotes yet, but no sign company works on the weekends around here anyway.

95metro 07-12-2006 12:08 PM

Just so everyone knows, I finally received a decent quote and ordered the window stickers today.

JanGeo 07-12-2006 06:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Arggg - I did a bunch of work for a buddy of mine and he could have made them and cut them out as payback for me. Maybe I will get some more laser compatible vinyl from him and print some up - they last a lot longer if stuck on a bumper as long as you don't get hit and they peal off clean without leaving any glue - except the bumper fades around the sticker.

Attachment 12

budomove 07-12-2006 07:58 PM

I'll take 'em all! :p kidding, but...

do you have paypal?

Matt Timion 07-12-2006 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budomove
I'll take 'em all! :p kidding, but...

do you have paypal?

Who?

BTW, I think I have injector plugs for you.

budomove 07-12-2006 09:32 PM

Matt, I was addressing you.
the plugs were for the complete vx swap that finished for $107.50 on ebay yesterday. i missed it by 1 second, :( ...so i guess i won't be needing the plugs. thank you anyway. :p

Matt Timion 07-12-2006 10:07 PM

Quote:

Matt, I was addressing you.
the plugs were for the complete vx swap that finished for $107.50 on ebay yesterday. i missed it by 1 second, :( ...so i guess i won't be needing the plugs. thank you anyway. :p

Well, to answer your first question, I do have paypal... it's paypal(at)gassavers[d0t]org (kinda easy to remember, eh?). Sorry for the cryptic nature of posting it, but I've had mutliple email addresses spidered and added to spam lists within 24 hours of posting them.

Let it be known that I have obd1 Honda injector plugs if anyone ever needs them.

budomove 07-12-2006 10:25 PM

what are the dimensions of the decals?

white type on clear, right?

budomove 07-12-2006 10:29 PM

i think i'm gonna go with four of em.

top windshield

rear hatch glass

both rear windows

maybe the front would be overkill, we'll see. :p

95metro 07-13-2006 06:09 AM

Quote:

what are the dimensions of the decals?

white type on clear, right?

1.262" x 8" (I went cheap and unobtrusive). The letters are white, but they are individual cut letters. Don't worry, they will be very easy to apply - I've done it a few thousand times and I'll do a DIY on it before I ship them down to Matt.

GasSavers_Ryland 07-13-2006 06:46 AM

I would be willing to buy a sticker if it had something like "I get 50+ mpg" and then the web site in smaller print.
someone makes something like that for motorcycles, but I can't find them, they are just a plastic sheat that gets bolted on behind the license plate.

Matt Timion 07-13-2006 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland
I would be willing to buy a sticker if it had something like "I get 50+ mpg" and then the web site in smaller print.
someone makes something like that for motorcycles, but I can't find them, they are just a plastic sheat that gets bolted on behind the license plate.

I was actually thinking of doing something like this for license plate frames. Not entirely sure though if there is a huge market.

ketel0ne 08-02-2006 10:47 AM

https://www.cafepress.com/cp/customiz...ear=true&no=90

You upload the image and that is about all, bumper sticker is $2.99, Oval is $2.49 no mins.

Also T-shirts, sweatshirts and more.

SVOboy 08-02-2006 10:57 AM

Has mark said anything about those which he created? Mehbe my car will be able to sport one in the garage, :)

Matt Timion 08-02-2006 11:20 AM

I'd prefer not to use cafepress for a number of reasons, the first of which is poor quality. I ordered a shirt from them once and was disappointed to discover it was an iron-on.

I'm going to talk with a friend of mine tonight that works at a printing press. He tells me they can do what we want.

When 95Metro left he also cancelled his sticker order, so he never got them done.

SVOboy 08-02-2006 11:23 AM

Oh drats, if I knew anything I'd help, but I'm too lazy to ever get a college sticker for my car, :p