Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Saturn has died! (at least for now) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/saturn-has-died-at-least-for-now-2372.html)

diamondlarry 06-25-2006 11:04 AM

I just got the valve cover off and didn't see anything wrong with the head/valvetrain. I did, however, find pieces of metal wedged in between the timing chain and cam gear and is preventing any valve action.

thisisntjared 06-25-2006 11:28 AM

time for pics

diamondlarry 06-25-2006 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisntjared
time for pics

I will have to get it into my garage and up on jack-stands before I can get pics. I tried to get one of the pieces out but it slipped down further. It looks like I will have to tear the front cover off. This involves removing the top motor mount and the belt and tensioner then, I can I get to start on the dozen or so bolts holding the front cover on. From what Icould see of the metal, it almost looks like alluminum.:confused:

JanGeo 06-25-2006 12:06 PM

hummm... chain tensioner broke or head gasket material.

philmcneal 06-25-2006 05:19 PM

i hope hypermiling hasn't ****ed up his saturn. This be a bad case agaist us.

SVOboy 06-25-2006 05:23 PM

This doesn't sound like hypermiling to me, :p

My dad's timing belt snapped, just happens sometimes.

Also, working at the shop for only a month I saw about a half dozen tensioners fail.

diamondlarry 06-25-2006 05:26 PM

My preliminary examination doesn't suggest that. The head itself seems to be fine. Everything (rocker arms etc.) seems to be snug and in their proper place. I would tend to agree with JanGeo about it being a chain guide. If you saw them you would wonder how they do their job. I did replace them when I did the head swap. Until I get the front cover off I beleive this was due to a random FUBAR incident.:p

SVOboy 06-25-2006 05:28 PM

I guess you don't have any bent valves or anything then, which is good, :)

JanGeo 06-25-2006 06:19 PM

My brother says that the timing for the injectors may be screwed up also - not timed with the cam properly would result in gas injection when the valves are closed and causing gas puddles but that would not totally kill the engine - more likely timing slip on the chain/belt or a snapped keyway? I don't know the valve train to know for sure. At least it didn't lockup on you.

diamondlarry 06-25-2006 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanGeo
My brother says that the timing for the injectors may be screwed up also - not timed with the cam properly would result in gas injection when the valves are closed and causing gas puddles but that would not totally kill the engine - more likely timing slip on the chain/belt or a snapped keyway? I don't know the valve train to know for sure. At least it didn't lockup on you.

I'm leaning towards the timing chain guides or a snapped keyway. I'll tear into it in the morning.