Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Poll... Do you wear seatbelts? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/poll-do-you-wear-seatbelts-2383.html)

thisisntjared 06-27-2006 07:38 PM

i put it on before i start that car. always.

rh77 06-27-2006 07:58 PM

Always...

I've seen too many accidents as a medic when people weren't belted...

RH77

The Toecutter 06-27-2006 10:33 PM

Always.

But I feel that it should not be legislated. I'd wear mine anyway due to the safety factor, but big nanny government shouldn't be able to force this on those who are not operating the vehicle they are in. As long as you're not putting others in danger, the law shouldn't dictate the choices you make.

Quote:

This is why I won't take my n600 on the freeway. I figure driving around town is dangerous enough in this little deathbox.
Haha. Try taking a Triumph GT6 with a non-stock engine to over 120 mph. Deathboxes? Love 'em to death! James Dean loved 'em too.

Bunger 06-27-2006 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
As long as you're not putting others in danger, the law shouldn't dictate the choices you make.

AGREED!!!

philmcneal 06-27-2006 11:01 PM

Quote:

But I feel that it should not be legislated. I'd wear mine anyway due to the safety factor, but big nanny government shouldn't be able to force this on those who are not operating the vehicle they are in. As long as you're not putting others in danger, the law shouldn't dictate the choices you make.
yeah but one has to think about the consequences in CASE an accident occurs. IF your head smashes through the windows, that's money spent to get your *** into the hospitals and crew to clean up your blood from the pavement! As well causing more delays to traffic than one already has done in an accident....

As for me my car beeps annoying at me, if I go over 20 km/h and I have no seatbelt on, it will repeat beeping after every 15 seconds so I dont really have a choice ;) but hey you can't be green if you don't have a belt :) If you get pulled over for something so stupid as like not wearing your belt and you get busted, boy you better be the biggest moron ever.

Sometimes if I don't have to go on a busy street, I won't but that's extremely rare, since if I hear the beeping I'll put it on quickly to shut it off. And really it only takes a second anyway ;)

or as one would say, "It feels like I'm driving naked without my belt."

The Toecutter 06-27-2006 11:19 PM

Quote:

yeah but one has to think about the consequences in CASE an accident occurs. IF your head smashes through the windows, that's money spent to get your *** into the hospitals and crew to clean up your blood from the pavement! As well causing more delays to traffic than one already has done in an accident....
He whos head smashes through the windows for not wearing the seatbelt is he who should pay for his own medical bills and damage caused by his actions. It's about personal responsibility.

This nation sadly appears to have shunned it, greatly easing the burden off of corporations and politicians, while expecting Joe Taxpayer to pick up the tab for corporate and government screwups and pick up the tab for frivalous lawsuits from those who deserve Darwin awards. Lawyers and corporate welfare queens alike are having a picnic.

Me? I will always wear my seatbelt. But I also realize it is only really going to be safe 100% of the time in a car designed with a rollcage so that you can't be crushed. Has anyone noticed that the safety regulations in cars today, pushed by auto lobbyists to help inflate vehicle price and add profit, appear to defy all logic? The safest car is not a minivan with large crumple zones and airbags, but instead the formula racecar with rollcage and safety harness. Crash into a wall going 220 mph, and walk away without a scratch. I'd like to see a minivan do that, when its airbags will decapitate a baby in a minor fender bender.

philmcneal 06-27-2006 11:42 PM

^^ aha well said man, you remind me of a friend who beat me in every debate I tried agaist him as well being an inspiration for my life.

You sound like the American version of him, i love your arguments, keep up the great work I just wanted to comment because your knowledge and your history gives me faith in what I believe in, thank you.

Compaq888 06-28-2006 12:00 AM

It would be cool if insurance gave you a discount on your car if you had a roll cage.

The Toecutter 06-28-2006 12:09 AM

They'd never do that. Hell, they probably revolt at the thought of them becoming widespread; reducing fatal accidents and expensive claims gives them less of an excuse to jack your rates sky high. That industry is mostly a government sanctioned scam as it is anyway...

Roll cage and safety harness with a rigid chassis and composite body will do what no airbag, seatbelt, and all the crumple zones in the world could ever hope. Imagine driving around in a 1,200 pound carbon fibre sports car with a roof 38 inches from the ground complete with roll cage, and being safer than any SUV of minivan on the road. Would only logic governed major political decisions...

diamondlarry 06-28-2006 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
They'd never do that. Hell, they probably revolt at the thought of them becoming widespread; reducing fatal accidents and expensive claims gives them less of an excuse to jack your rates sky high. That industry is mostly a government sanctioned scam as it is anyway...

Roll cage and safety harness with a rigid chassis and composite body will do what no airbag, seatbelt, and all the crumple zones in the world could ever hope. Imagine driving around in a 1,200 pound carbon fibre sports car with a roof 38 inches from the ground complete with roll cage, and being safer than any SUV of minivan on the road. Would only logic governed major political decisions...

There is another reason that I wouldn't want to see widespread use of roll cages. Some moron that totally doesn't know how to drive thinks, "I have a roll cage. I can go even faster. If I screw up, I'll be ok." The problem is not so much how safe the car is, but the level of driving skill of the idiot behind the wheel. Legislating mandatory use of belts is like trying to treat a broken leg with large doses of aspirin, it may ease the pain(some), but the leg is still broken. I think the same thing could be said of ABS brakes as what I've mentioned about roll cages.