Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Kid Hauler (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/kid-hauler-2384.html)

Matt Timion 06-27-2006 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX
Yeah, our current car lineup is:

1988 Civic Hatchback
1990 Civic Sedan
1997 Accord Sedan

The Accord (which Tammara drives) is great - we'll at least keep it through our first kid.

honestly I think the accord will be more than enough for at least 2 kids. Those things are spacious, and it's going to be more than 10 years before they'll be too big for the back seat.

HOnestly, the same can be said for the Civic Sedan. We're planning on using my sedan as the primary family car because it has four doors. We also don't plan on having more than 2 kids and we've had full grown adults in the back seat without a problem.

But I'd go with the accord. Screw a bigger car. If you really need one, get a Fit.

95metro 06-27-2006 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX
Ok, unless we are cursed (blessed?) with twins the second go round, we won't be having three children. :)

Never say never. My wife and I have two teens and a 3-year-old...things happen...:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
But I'd go with the accord. Screw a bigger car. If you really need one, get a Fit.

Actually, a wagon is probably what I would do if I had to do it over again. I considered a Taurus wagon instead of the Aerostar, but 7 seats was > 5 seats.

GasSavers_DaX 06-27-2006 08:38 AM

Haha, Tammara (soon to be wife) is 22...her brother and sister are almost 40! She was born post-tube-tying. We're fully aware of how nothing is certain. :)

Gary Palmer 06-27-2006 08:39 AM

Kid Hauling Consideration's: I don't disagree with any of the points or considerations which anyone has identified. However, their were several driving considerations for me and my wife, when our kid's were younger, then older and so forth.

-leg room: With a sedan and even many pseudo SUV's the leg room in the back is the pit's, unless the people in the front seats are pretty short. We upgraded from a Pymouth Reliant, Station Wagon, to a Plymouth Voyager, to a Dodge Grand Caravan, to a Chrysler Town & Country. In regard, the T&C has been a good vehicle. It has the leg room for adult's or large teen ager's. It has rear bucket seats, so that they are less prone to poke, grab, fight, argue, bikker and so forth. I know none of your kids will do that, but mine do. Mileage, not so great, but considering hauling a number of people, pretty good. My T& C has 178,000 on it, with the original motor, it still uses 1 qt oil, every 2,000 miles and it get's 20-22 mpg, on the highway, at 70-75.

I have a sister who has an Odyssey and in riding in it, I don't think it's as comfortable as the T&C, but I think she might get a little better mileage.

Bottom line, when you start counting kid's, if you can give them "space", it helps contribute to the peace, big time. It amazes me how much the rear bucket seats reduce squabiling and so forth. Just a consideration.

Timing. From my perspective, giving your kid's 2-3 years between helps reduce a lot of issues because they are close enough to play together and do things together, but they are far enough apart to not be directly competing with each other in school and so forth. Additionally, it gives them someone to talk to when mom or dad or both are being twips. Just my experiences!

Matt Timion 06-27-2006 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX
Haha, Tammara (soon to be wife) is 22...her brother and sister are almost 40! She was born post-tube-tying. We're fully aware of how nothing is certain. :)

screw tube tying... snipping is much faster, cheaper, and isn't major surgery.

GasSavers_DaX 06-27-2006 08:42 AM

Quote:

screw tube tying... snipping is much faster, cheaper, and isn't major surgery.

You mean vasectomy? I don't know.... :D

Tube tying is actually supposed to be cutting, tying, burning - but I don't know if they did all this to Gayle way back when. :p

Matt Timion 06-27-2006 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Palmer
Bottom line, when you start counting kid's, if you can give them "space", it helps contribute to the peace, big time. It amazes me how much the rear bucket seats reduce squabiling and so forth. Just a consideration.

You just gave me a flashback to when we were driving from Illinois to Florida in our Astrovan. My brother and I were in the back seat and both of us kept yelling "MOM! He's on my side!" Bucket seats would have been perfect.

GasSavers_DaX 06-27-2006 08:44 AM

Quote:

You just gave me a flashback to when we were driving from Illinois to Florida in our Astrovan. My brother and I were in the back seat and both of us kept yelling "MOM! He's on my side!" Bucket seats would have been perfect.

We used to fight over the front seat. It got so bad we had a calendar marked with who's day it was to sit in the front.

Matt Timion 06-27-2006 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX

Tube tying is actually supposed to be cutting, tying, burning - but I don't know if they did all this to Gayle way back when. :p

yeah, vasectomy. I'm the first in line when the time is right. Why should she go through major surgery when I can have it done in an afternoon?

95metro 06-27-2006 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX

Bah...you're a little sore for a day. Getting kicked hurts a lot more. :eek: