Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   The Land of Opportunity (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/the-land-of-opportunity-2392.html)

Compaq888 06-27-2006 05:04 PM

The Land of Opportunity

I'm broke, I'm carless, I got crappy insurance, and nobody wants to give me a job. Some land of oppurtunity this is. I might as well move back to my old country.

What opportunity is this??? My bills are piling up, I got no job and I got some crappy insurance where if I make an appointment the appointment will be in 2 months. When you go there you have to sit and wait 2 hours for your turn.

It will be another 4 years till I get my degree. I don't know if I can suffer another 4 years like this.

SVOboy 06-27-2006 05:13 PM

I always like to say that the poorest person in the US is better off the most people in the world.

You must know by not that over 1 billion people live on less than $1 a day, you wouldn't notice if you lost a dollar, but to many it is the difference between eating and not, so have some appreciation of that.

Compaq888 06-27-2006 05:31 PM

My citizenship has given me nothing, except the fact that if there was a draft I'd be fighting for america. All I'm good for is just a body for the army.

If I was working for a dollar I'd kill myself. Suffering for $1 a day is not worth it.

What's so good about eating, please enlighten me!! Every time I go to the bathroom I suffer. You have no idea how hard it is to live with irratable bowel syndrome for my entire life. Imagine somebody grabbed your privates and pulling on it for half an hour. That is how I feel everytime I go to the bathroom.

Not only I have to suffer everyday with that but I can't get a job. And whenever I get a job my superiors complain. "We didn't hire you so you could sit in the bathroom for half and hour every morning", "We don't care that you are sick, don't come to work without a doctor's note"

Even if I get hired I have to put up with that bull**** everyday at work. Corporations don't care about this stuff, they will get somebody healthier, stronger, smarter, good looking for the same exact pay.

SVOboy 06-27-2006 05:38 PM

So, you think that %20 of the world might as well not be living for how bad their lives must be? That's pretty condescending, but you know, those people could have any sort of basic disease, condition, common cold, even and drop dead because there's not even a hospital to go to to spend 100$ bucks at and get some penicillin.

Anyway, you're lucky, I'm lucky, every damn person on this site is extremely lucky, let's not insult others pretending our good fortune is not enough for our high standards.

Compaq888 06-27-2006 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
So, you think that %20 of the world might as well not be living for how bad their lives must be? That's pretty condescending, but you know, those people could have any sort of basic disease, condition, common cold, even and drop dead because there's not even a hospital to go to to spend 100$ bucks at and get some penicillin.

Anyway, you're lucky, I'm lucky, every damn person on this site is extremely lucky, let's not insult others pretending our good fortune is not enough for our high standards.

Yes, they mght as well not be living, and another thing is if you can't afford to have kids then don't have kids, other people suffer because of that too. I'm not lucky and I have never been lucky. Even if i do get my degree in 4 years there isn't 100% I will get hired. If nobody is hiring and I have working experience, why would they hire me when there is so many other candidates. It's hopeless. Giving somebody a job will solve most of their problems. How simple the solution is.

SVOboy 06-27-2006 05:48 PM

Anyone with a degree is lucky, anyone with the ability to get a degree is lucky. Just stop worrying so damn much and work on getting a job. Plenty of people in this country have jobs and it's not always because they're pretty.

Mighty Mira 06-27-2006 05:55 PM

I think the mines are hiring. If you are willing to travel, there is money to be made there.

Compaq888 06-27-2006 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mighty Mira
I think the mines are hiring. If you are willing to travel, there is money to be made there.

mining is a labor job. Due to my health I would bend over and die.

Matt Timion 06-27-2006 06:10 PM

Wow... you just sold your car and you have no money. Amazing.

You are waiting for someone to "give" you a job. I've never been "given" a job before.

This may sound blunt, but you blame everyone but yourself. As soon as you stop doing that and begin taking ownership for your downfalls you'll begin to be able to fix them.

I lived in a third world country for a number of years and I saw families of 4 living off of less then $3/day. They were grateful. One family had a son dieing of leukemia and they didn't complain as much as you do.

The land of opportunity means that you can achieve great things with hard work. As long as you expect people to give it to you, or that you deserve certain things you'll continue to get nothing.

Compaq888 06-27-2006 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Wow... you just sold your car and you have no money. Amazing.

You are waiting for someone to "give" you a job. I've never been "given" a job before.

This may sound blunt, but you blame everyone but yourself. As soon as you stop doing that and begin taking ownership for your downfalls you'll begin to be able to fix them.

I lived in a third world country for a number of years and I saw families of 4 living off of less then $3/day. They were grateful. One family had a son dieing of leukemia and they didn't complain as much as you do.

The land of opportunity means that you can achieve great things with hard work. As long as you expect people to give it to you, or that you deserve certain things you'll continue to get nothing.

The car money pays my debt and bills.
I'm not just compliaining, i look for a job all the time. I go to interviews all the time. It would be wrong to complain if I set home and did nothing.

I don't expect stuff to be given to me, If I want something I get it. What's holding me back from getting the job is the places that I applied to.

GasSavers_jenny 06-27-2006 06:26 PM

Oh get over ya self! :rolleyes:

Matt Timion 06-27-2006 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
What's holding me back from getting the job is the places that I applied to.

So are you saying it's your fault for applying to crappy places? If that's the case then why are you complaining about it?

Or are you saying that it's the company's fault and not your fault? If so you're playing the blame game. In the blame game no one ever wins.

Bunger 06-27-2006 06:39 PM

I know IBS can really suck, I have a friend with it, and he's no happy camper most the time. But you do realise you have the law on your side. If you have a medical condition, its illegal to fire you or not hire you because of it.Honestly, if you can sit there, sheltered, in front of a computer, and complain about your living conditions, you really need to get out more.

If you're not happy with your position in life, then CHANGE it. That's what this country is about. Hell, you can even get grants (read: free money) from the government to start a business. Oppertunity is there for you, but you can't sit back and wait for it to come to you, go to IT, with zeal, zest and fervor!

thisisntjared 06-27-2006 07:24 PM

you whining little brat!

bunger is right. if your not happy change your situation. im looking for a job in my career too, but im not about to go pouting online about it.

i am doing something about it. you are not any different.

Compaq888 06-27-2006 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
So are you saying it's your fault for applying to crappy places? If that's the case then why are you complaining about it?

Or are you saying that it's the company's fault and not your fault? If so you're playing the blame game. In the blame game no one ever wins.

I'm not blaming. I'm venting, you never heard of it?
I don't apply to crappy places, I just don't get the position since they hire somebody more qualified.

Compaq888 06-27-2006 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunger
I know IBS can really suck, I have a friend with it, and he's no happy camper most the time. But you do realise you have the law on your side. If you have a medical condition, its illegal to fire you or not hire you because of it.Honestly, if you can sit there, sheltered, in front of a computer, and complain about your living conditions, you really need to get out more.

If you're not happy with your position in life, then CHANGE it. That's what this country is about. Hell, you can even get grants (read: free money) from the government to start a business. Oppertunity is there for you, but you can't sit back and wait for it to come to you, go to IT, with zeal, zest and fervor!

Who said I'm waiting for anything??? Haven't you guys been reading my replies??? I've been applying at different places and going to interviews.

Actually there is a lot of loops that they can go through. If you state you have a medical condition they can just blame on not hiring you on your lack of experience or say they have better candidates. If you don't state on your application that you have a medical condition and you sit 30min in the bathroom everyday then they can fire you because you lied on the application. The only real way law is on your side if they tell you to your face you're not going to get hired because you're ugly, ill, or etc.

Compaq888 06-27-2006 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisntjared
you whining little brat!

bunger is right. if your not happy change your situation. im looking for a job in my career too, but im not about to go pouting online about it.

i am doing something about it. you are not any different.

What am I suppose to do..go into a business with a shot gun and say hire me???

There is nothing I can do except apply to more places, and that is what I'm doing.

I like to whine and complain.

The Toecutter 06-27-2006 10:13 PM

I've been looking for a job that doesn't drug test for a while(civil liberties issue for me). Still no dice, but they exist.

The reality is, the individual doesn't have as much control over their life and the decision making process in this country as all the propaganda they teach you in history class would have you believe. But I also contend that it's no excuse not to keep trying. No matter what. Once you quit, you have no one left to blame but yourself.

I hope you find that job you're looking for, Compaq. Best of luck.

philmcneal 06-27-2006 10:19 PM

Quote:

I've been looking for a job that doesn't drug test for a while(civil liberties issue for me). Still no dice, but they exist.
i had tons of career choices i wanted to go into, but that reason alone is why I will go "**** your money and i will live a good life without it."

for now... things may change since anything can happen.... world's random enough as it is.

Have faith is all I got to say. I know I got lots :D

The Toecutter 06-27-2006 10:46 PM

And here I am getting an electrical engineering degree!

There are lots of companies I vehementently disagree with, and not just on that issue.

Then again, I'm not getting the degree for the money. Once I get the student loans paid off as fast as possible, I'll be happy to live on the cheap. Maybe get a broke *** old trailer in the boonies somewhere, grow some of my own food. I ain't ever bought new clothes; the occassional venture to the goodwill gets me what I want for cheap. So long as I have enough for firearms and the necessities, that's good enough. Get the place running on renewable energy and get the EV built, and there goes most of the expenses anyone would face. If Ralph Nader can live comfortably on $6k a year, so can I.

Off the grid is where it's at.

Compaq888 06-27-2006 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Toecutter

The reality is, the individual doesn't have as much control over their life and the decision making process in this country as all the propaganda they teach you in history class would have you believe. But I also contend that it's no excuse not to keep trying. No matter what. Once you quit, you have no one left to blame but yourself.

I hope you find that job you're looking for, Compaq. Best of luck.

It's very true, everybody depends on somebody else. I keep trying, I'm just tired of looking.

GasSavers_brick 06-28-2006 08:26 AM

Attitude is everything. If you decide that you're screwed and your life will always suck, guess what? Your life will always suck. If you decide that you are going to fix your life come hell or high water, your life will not suck. A friend of mine whined and moaned just like this about how it was all the "system's fault" and "I'm never going to get anywhere because I was born in the wrong family" and nonsense like that. You know what got him out of that gutter? Taking responsibility for himself. Now he's working on his Masters of Public Policy and starting down what could be an extremely satisfying career path, working against the injustices that he percieves. The fundamental cause of his turnaround was a change of attitude.

Believe in it, work for it, and you will get there.

The Toecutter 06-28-2006 05:43 PM

Quote:

Believe in it, work for it, and you will get there.
Not necessarily... there's a large number of people that try their entire lifes and never make it.

But if you don't try, you WON'T get anywhere.

diamondlarry 06-28-2006 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Not necessarily... there's a large number of people that try their entire lifes and never make it.

But if you don't try, you WON'T get anywhere.

Absolutely! Here's a good definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results.

thisisntjared 06-28-2006 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
I like to whine and complain.

then im done talking to you. you attention whoring adolescent! high school is over. accept responsebility.

dont bother responding to me in this thread. i will not be reading it.