Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Howdy from Louisville, Kentucky. (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/howdy-from-louisville-kentucky-2409.html)

DirtyOldTown 06-29-2006 10:19 AM

Howdy from Louisville, Kentucky.

I've got a '95 Civic VX that I love, 214,000 mi. and runs great. Originally I planned on putting in an H22, but I've become smitten with the little car in its original shape. Anyone else have a VX?

krousdb 06-29-2006 10:21 AM

Yay! Another VX! I just snagged a 92 with 131k miles on ebay and will be picking it up on Monday.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...BSAA%3AUS%3A31

DirtyOldTown 06-29-2006 10:35 AM

Nice. I'd love to have another one at some point. Mine needs a little body work, but it runs great. I just did its 3rd t/belt, water pump, etc. I'm getting ready to buy some camber/toe adjusters for the rear so I can get my alignment right. I got ahold of some free 13" dunlops, so I put those on too. What year is yours? Had any trouble?

krousdb 06-29-2006 10:36 AM

It's a 92 and i havent even seen it yet. I will let you know on Monday.

LincolnW 06-29-2006 10:38 AM

Very nice! Yeah, definately don't swap the engine out of there. They are becoming harder and harder to find with the orignal engine.

DirtyOldTown 06-29-2006 10:39 AM

Ah. I hope it serves you well - I love mine! I was never into imports, but after 3 1/2 in a Honda dealership I had no choice but to love them. I've seen tons of them with 200k+ miles running with no trouble at all. A friend of mine has an '89 Accord LXi with well over 550k.

SVOboy 06-29-2006 10:43 AM

The money question: what kinda mileage have you been getting? :D

95metro 06-29-2006 11:04 AM

Is it just me or is there a trend here between Honda and fuel efficient vehicles? Nah, it's gotta just be me...

Anyway, welcome!

SVOboy 06-29-2006 11:05 AM

Well, like you, mark, I decided on the crx by going down the epa top vehicle list, :p

DirtyOldTown 06-29-2006 11:35 AM

I haven't done very accurate experimenting, but the best I've done is 52.5 mpg on the interstate. The worst on the interstate was about 28mpg, but that was going a full tank at 90mph. I got the 52mpg going about 65. At the time, I had wider tires than I have now, they were underinflated, I had a lot of extra weight in the car and I had the wrong thermostat. Also it was cooler outside than it is now. I think if I did the same experiment again I could see 55mpg, maybe more. I recently drove to KC and back , and at 75mph with the windows up (murder without A/C!) it did about 47mpg. As far as a lifetime average I have no idea - I'm the third owner, and my driving habbits change quite a bit. I love working on the car, and after several synthetic oil changes the valvetrain looks better than it did when I got the car three years ago.

thisisntjared 06-29-2006 01:04 PM

hello ive got a cx with a little work done.
Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyOldTown
I'm getting ready to buy some camber/toe adjusters for the rear so I can get my alignment right. I got ahold of some free 13" dunlops, so I put those on too. What year is yours? Had any trouble?

you dont need any camber or toe adjusters for the rear..... you can shim out the upper control arm with washers and the front of the trailing arm is adjustable from the factory, granted there are tolerances but if your not more than 3in lower than stock the rear should be totally adjustable from the factory. how modified is your suspesion?

its in the front that the camber is not adjustable from the factory.

DirtyOldTown 06-29-2006 02:11 PM

The factory toe adjuster bushings always sieze up though. I guess I don't NEED them, but I do want them. The car never really breaks down so I've got to keep busy somehow! The toe adjusters on my car are pretty much stuck. Last alignment I did was all in the green, but I had to say every bad word in the book to get it to line up. I want it to go nice and smooth. I never thought about using washers to change the camber - I'll give that a shot next time it's on the alignment rack. The suspension is slightly lowered, but not much. I've never measured, but I've got Tokico HPs and Tokico lowering springs ment for a four door. I'd guess I'm an inch lower than stock. Like I said, i don't really need them but now I've got the free time to get all nerdy about little stuff.

thisisntjared 06-29-2006 02:43 PM

yea you should be ok. when you get around to it, make sure you remember do the camber first...

SVOboy 06-29-2006 02:51 PM

Blah, I need to get around to doing that myself, everyone is less lazy than me today.

thisisntjared 06-29-2006 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Blah, I need to get around to doing that myself, everyone is less lazy than me today.

yea i changed my oil, emptied my catch can, mildly advanced my timing and sanded all of my underhood electrical grounds.

barefoot mechanics ftw!!

SVOboy 06-29-2006 02:58 PM

I'll finish painting my rims soon.

DirtyOldTown 06-29-2006 06:15 PM

Hey, you guys from NJ - I've wondered this for a while: how come you can't pump yor own gas there? I've never spent much time in the Garden state but I've been through once or twice.

SVOboy 06-29-2006 06:22 PM

It's illegal. I think it's health/environment/theft/jobs that has caused such a thing.

diamondlarry 06-29-2006 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
It's illegal. I think it's health/environment/theft/jobs that has caused such a thing.

I've heard it has more to do with jobs/economy.

SVOboy 06-29-2006 06:59 PM

That's what I figure, I just listed the things as they came to mind.

thisisntjared 06-29-2006 07:16 PM

it should be optional.....

SVOboy 06-29-2006 07:18 PM

If I want to steal their jobs I should be allowed to, :p

95metro 07-06-2006 08:56 AM

DirtyOldTown: What's that oval piston pic in your user profile from? I remember Honda playing around with an oval piston engine in a sport bike about ten or more years ago (the name of the bike escapes me at the moment...I remember that it was a 750 cc and looked amazing...I'll have to Google for it).

Is Honda still playing with the oval piston idea?

SVOboy 07-06-2006 03:29 PM

It's not the CBR, is it?

95metro 07-06-2006 03:34 PM

Nope, not the CBR. It was the NR750 (apparently there was an oval piston NR500 back in '79, but the NR750 in the '90s was actually produced).

https://static.sportbikez.net/bikepic...1066939612.jpg

https://static.sportbikez.net/bikepic...1048073526.jpg

95metro 07-06-2006 03:43 PM

Anonymous user on sportbikez.net wrote:

Quote:

The NR750 was Honda's chance to woo the world and the world said WOW! Honda gave Mitsuyoshi Kohama and a team of designers free creative range and an open check book to dream up the most technologically advanced motorcycle ever. Kohama delivered with the beautifully engineered, world record holding NR750!. GP racer Loris Capirossi set new speed records in both the standing start and flying mile riding the NR750. The ultimate in technical innovation, only 200 of these machines were built by Mitsuyoshi Kohama. Employing advanced engine technology, complex exhaust routing and design touches like carbon fiber composite bodywork and a titanium-tinted screen, Kohama's Honda design team reached new levels in performance, design and technical innovation with the NR750. The engine is an oval-pistoned V-4 unit and is the only production bike to incorporate this system, developed by Honda to yield V-8 performance from an engine with half the cylinders. The NR750 was also the first production motorcycle to feature carbon fiber and titanium as standard composite parts. The PGM-FI fuel injection was state-of-the-art in 1992, employing seven sensors and a 16-bit CPU to control the eight injectors as well as the ignition timing. In addition it altered the position of an inlet duct in the airbox to regulate airflow. 747cc Oval Pistons in a V4, turn indicators in the rear view mirrors, real carbon fiber bits, twin fuel injectors, twin spark plugs, titanium con-rods, titanium-coated alloy frame to prevent scratches, 260kph, 15,000rpm! This is the most coveted production motorcycle in history.