Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Garage/Gas-Log Trend? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/garage-gas-log-trend-2419.html)

95metro 06-30-2006 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XFi
Thanks for the sympathetic shoulder to cry on...OK I'm better now :)

I added the Aerostar to my garage to redeem my negative EPA %. Once I add some numbers from summer driving I should easily be around 22% over the EPA's estimates for The Gas Pig.

Maybe more if I actually do the aero mods.

SVOboy 06-30-2006 09:42 AM

Hypermile the aerostar!

Or, as my friend's might say: "Ghost-ride the whip!"

zpiloto 06-30-2006 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95metro
I agree. One is probably more indicative of the best FE vehicle, while the other will generally indicate the best FE driver.

I agree with SVOboy that the object is turn the cars in to EPA busting monsters.:D But I think that the over EPA is really a matter of how long the commute is and terrain. I have 50 mile commute 3-4 times a week. This affords a lot better chance at some good numbers than a 10 mile commute. And those that do a lot of highway even better. The ultimate goal is to squeeze every bit of fuel you can out of your ride. Now if i can only get rid of the auto transmission and wear the tires out so I can get LLR tires:p

GasSavers_civicminded 06-30-2006 12:39 PM

Something else to note: Small engines, 1.7L or less in the overall MPG.

Actually, all in the top 5 are 1.5 or less, with the larger engines (the sole 1.6 and sole 1.7L) in the bottom half.

Which makes plenty of sense. But it should also be a message to someone wanting great MPG - If you have a large engine, you will have to pay at the pump.

My$.02

krousdb 06-30-2006 02:58 PM

Quote:

This isn't terribly significant, just something I found interesting.

Under Top-Ten vehicles the list for highest MPG goes like this:

Honda
Swift-clone
Honda

After my next coupla tanks fall out of the 90 day average, it'll be:

Honda
Honda
Swift Clone

95metro 07-12-2006 07:46 AM

Well, guess whose "low" tanks just dropped off the 90-day average? Here's the top-ten MPG list:

Swift-Clone (Firefly)
Civic (CX)
Civic (Del-Sol)
Civic (VX)
Civic (CRX)
Swift-Clone (XFi)
Swift-Clone (Metro)
Swift-Clone (Metro)
Civic (VX/Si)
Civic (SE Coupe)

And the % over EPA list:

Civic (Del-Sol)
Mazda 626
VW Passat
Swift-Clone (Firefly)
Civic (VX/Si)
Civic (CX)
Toyota Corolla
Civic (CRX)
Scion xB
Saturn SL

Matt Timion 07-12-2006 08:04 AM

Quote:

Well, guess whose "low" tanks just dropped off the 90-day average? Here's the top-ten MPG list:

Swift-Clone (Firefly)
Civic (CX)
Civic (Del-Sol)
Civic (VX)
Civic (CRX)
Swift-Clone (XFi)
Swift-Clone (Metro)
Swift-Clone (Metro)
Civic (VX/Si)
Civic (SE Coupe)

And the % over EPA list:

Civic (Del-Sol)
Mazda 626
VW Passat
Swift-Clone (Firefly)
Civic (VX/Si)
Civic (CX)
Toyota Corolla
Civic (CRX)
Scion xB
Saturn SL

When I look with the intention of figuring out the best car for MPG, I look at the first graph. When I look for the most (as Napolean Dynamite would say) skilled user, I look at the second one.

There is also the fact that most of the users on this site drive Hondas, second are the Metros, and then the rest are rather scarce. It would of course be perfect if we could get more users with different cars. I'm sure the non-stop Honda talk scares some people off.

95metro 07-12-2006 08:15 AM

I think that there are more Honda drivers who tend to be tinkerers as well. We have a lot of tech-talk based around Honda engines/transmissions.

A lot of people are hoping to find the "magic bullet" and when they see we don't particularly condone them they take off. However, I lurked around CleanMPG for a while and I noticed one guy who thought Gassavers was all about additives and "fuel-saving" devices...???

On another note, CleanMPG seems to be primarily hybrid owners and non-tinkerers so I guess every forum has it's crowd.

Going by some of the animosity towards FE driving techniques on other boards, that may scare some user's off as well.

I don't know, I still haven't met anybody in town who is an FE nut like I've become. Maybe we're a rare breed...:confused:

I keep thinking I should put some gassavers flyers up at my local grocery store.

Mighty Mira 07-12-2006 09:18 AM

Quote:

A lot of people are hoping to find the "magic bullet" and when they see we don't particularly condone them they take off. However, I lurked around CleanMPG for a while and I noticed one guy who thought Gassavers was all about additives and "fuel-saving" devices...???

Going by some of the animosity towards FE driving techniques on other boards, that may scare some user's off as well.

I don't know, I still haven't met anybody in town who is an FE nut like I've become. Maybe we're a rare breed...:confused:

When the price of gas rises to the point where the gas used in around 3 years is equivalent to the price of a car, there will be little alternative to becoming an FE nut. At the moment, someone will spend around $4000 in 3 years on gas. That will buy a secondhand car, easily.

Say that a car loan is 5 years. If gas is $12/gallon, then the gas per year works out to be equivalent to the car payments.

In reality, gas at $12/gallon would bring a global depression. Because oil fuels pretty much everything we do, discretionary income drops very rapidly with rising oil prices because EVERYTHING costs more. Less people spending money means people can afford to hire less people or pay them as much.

The end result is that soon people will care very dearly about FE if fuel prices continue the way they are. Being able to travel is a very important thing. People will travel in anything so long as their choices are limited. We once used horses and model Ts. We are the same humans, just socially engineered differently.

But yeah, it's not something that most people consider. Yet. And people I talk to think driving down a hill in neutral is taking a big risk, let alone EOC.

95metro 07-12-2006 09:30 AM

I can't imagine gas ever hitting $12 a gallon, but I guess anything is possible. The trend I have noticed over the last four years is that gas has basically gone up $0.10/liter/year ($0.38/gal/year). I fluctuates during the year, but I can pretty much guarantee that August will produce prices of $1.15/L in my area. Last August was $1.05 to a $1.08 and the current price is $1.11/L. By the time February or March of the following year rolls around, the previous July/August prices are the norm and people have gotten used to the increase.

But, anyway, I'm getting off topic. What I mostly wanted to say is that fuel economy for us seems to be a hobby for the most part. Kind of the polar-opposite of racing, but in the same vein.

If someone is just trying to save some money because their SUV is a gas-pig they probably aren't going to want to work for it like most of us are willing to. They may lurk for a while, but unless the FE bug grabs them they probably won't get involved in the site very much.