Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Engine shipping question! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/engine-shipping-question-2448.html)

SVOboy 07-05-2006 03:23 PM

Engine shipping question!

I have an opportunity to get a wicked deal on a d15z1 engine from virginia, unfortunately, it's in virginia. The shipping is more than the engine, and I know after I sell some ish it won't be that much, but I don't have the money to "invest" up front before I have the junk to sell, and the seller is quite willing to work with me on shipping, so does anyone have any ideas how to move the thing without spending 170 bucks?

95metro 07-05-2006 03:32 PM

What about Greyhound or shipping it by train or something? A courier service will charge madness prices due to the weight.

I really have no clue though. :o

SVOboy 07-05-2006 03:34 PM

It's it's on the close side of VA I might try and swing the 5 hour drive each way with the folks, but if it's on the far side the 10-12 hour drive ain't happening. Greyhound really isn't that cheap from what I remember when searched about transmission shipping, :(

But of course a tranny is much different from an engine. I'll look up quotes from the major people now for 150 poounds, I hope that's about right, I'm waiting on his reply about weight.

SVOboy 07-05-2006 09:02 PM

The guy lives in virginia beach, 7 hours away. I'll talk to my mom about the drive tomorrow and make the case of it being a last request before I go to college. Of course I haven't won the engine yet but I need to know if I can drive before I go buying it (since I don't think I can afford the shipping).

Any in case, it's a straight drive down through delaware, maryland, chincoteague, across that crazy long bridge (if anyone knows what I'm talking about) and then there I am, I'm up for that drive, but who knows what momma will say...

krousdb 07-06-2006 01:23 AM

I know that bridge. But first you have to go under the water to get to the bridge.:D.

SVOboy 07-06-2006 04:58 AM

There's a tunnel there? I've only gone over it once out and once back, so I dun remember so well, :p

MetroMPG 07-06-2006 07:01 AM

Will buddy meet you part way there? Maybe you can save an hour or so if he will do that. With everybody having cell phones these days, it's not an impossible task to do.

SVOboy 07-06-2006 07:03 AM

Mmm, I don't have a cellphone, and he'd prolly charge for delivery since it is a bit of a pain in the *** to load up and engine and he does run a business salvaging parts so he's prolly reasonably busy.

GasSavers_DaX 07-06-2006 08:01 AM

Just drive out there...it'll be the cheapest. I once drove over 500 miles each way (round trip was like 19 hours) to pick up a D15B2...the one that's currently in my Sedan.

Matt Timion 07-06-2006 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX
Just drive out there...it'll be the cheapest. I once drove over 500 miles each way (round trip was like 19 hours) to pick up a D15B2...the one that's currently in my Sedan.

I drove 22 hours round trip to pick up my n600.

MetroMPG 07-06-2006 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Mmm, I don't have a cellphone, and he'd prolly charge for delivery since it is a bit of a pain in the *** to load up and engine and he does run a business salvaging parts so he's prolly reasonably busy.

Hmm... didn't know it was his business. Just assumed he was some guy like you with a surplus of free time :)

I don't have a cell phone either. I'll continue to use the original cell phone until they disappear: the public pay phone.

GasSavers_DaX 07-06-2006 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG
I'll continue to use the original cell phone until they disappear: the public pay phone.

They still exist?

Matt Timion 07-06-2006 09:10 AM

Hey SVOBoy, if you get this engine do you want to sell me your CX Intake manifold? I want to be able to mount the purge solenoid correctly.

SVOboy 07-06-2006 03:25 PM

I would love to sell it to you, but it doesn't have egr.

I would also love the drive, but my mother would not, I'm going to try to recruit someone to go with me and then talk to her about it in a very logical way. But anyone, someone on honda-tech just replied that they still have their vx swap and they're only 4 hours away in PA, so we shall see, shalln't we.

budomove 07-06-2006 04:25 PM

Ben, I owe you one, if you need a driving partner, I am he.

SVOboy 07-06-2006 04:27 PM

Shut up about that owing ****.

budomove 07-06-2006 04:29 PM

Ok, i don't. lemme know. :D

edit: whichever one you don't take I want.

SVOboy 07-06-2006 04:33 PM

I'll prolly go for the one in PA because that'll be easier to swing with momma, the one in VA is on ebay.