Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Getting a MSD 6AL (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/getting-a-msd-6al-2480.html)

Bunger 07-10-2006 07:53 PM

Getting a MSD 6AL

I happened across someone selling a MSD 6AL and a few other items together on eBay the other night and decided to pick it up. So as soon as the stuff gets here, I'll be installing the 6AL in my d15z1 powered CRX. I had one before on my d16z6 powered hatchback and it really did help with the idle and low rpm power (I never really charted MPG back then).

Here is a little blurb from the MSD site explaining Multiple Spark:

The MSD 6 Series produces full power multiple sparks for each firing of a plug. The number of multiple sparks that occur decreases as rpm increases, however the spark series always lasts for 20° of crankshaft rotation. Above 3,000 rpm there is simply not enough "time" to fire the spark plug more than once, so there is only one powerful spark.

Has anyone else tried a 6A (or 6AL... the L is just for a rev limiter) before???

Wish me luck!!! (Still haven't gotten an email or package...)

Compaq888 07-10-2006 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunger
I happened across someone selling a MSD 6AL and a few other items together on eBay the other night and decided to pick it up. So as soon as the stuff gets here, I'll be installing the 6AL in my d15z1 powered CRX. I had one before on my d16z6 powered hatchback and it really did help with the idle and low rpm power (I never really charted MPG back then).

Here is a little blurb from the MSD site explaining Multiple Spark:

The MSD 6 Series produces full power multiple sparks for each firing of a plug. The number of multiple sparks that occur decreases as rpm increases, however the spark series always lasts for 20? of crankshaft rotation. Above 3,000 rpm there is simply not enough "time" to fire the spark plug more than once, so there is only one powerful spark.

Has anyone else tried a 6A (or 6AL... the L is just for a rev limiter) before???

Wish me luck!!! (Still haven't gotten an email or package...)

I actually had the MSD 6 digital + box in my altima. I converted the coil to external and used a MSD blaster SS coil. It went good. There is a little more power in the lower rpm and the idle was perfect. You know on some cars when it's idling the rpm tach moves a little, but with the msd system it stayed in one place like a rock. Also at 2750rpm with the msd system there was a small boost of power. Like if I were to hold the pedal in one position and it soon as it hits 2750rpm it moves a little a little quicker. It doesn't shift at that rpm, you could just see the tach just start moving.

Thanks to the MSD system I learned a lot about car's ignition system.

Bunger 07-11-2006 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
I actually had the MSD 6 digital + box in my altima. You know on some cars when it's idling the rpm tach moves a little, but with the msd system it stayed in one place like a rock.

I experienced the same thing on my civic, the tach was like a rock at idle with that 6AL. My d15z1 has a bit of a miss here and there now, but I did just re-gap the plugs and re-adjust the valves, so we'll see how it does before the 6AL and after.

Compaq888 07-11-2006 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunger
I experienced the same thing on my civic, the tach was like a rock at idle with that 6AL. My d15z1 has a bit of a miss here and there now, but I did just re-gap the plugs and re-adjust the valves, so we'll see how it does before the 6AL and after.

I was told to switch to copper plugs with MSD. The main reason I bought the msd was because of nitrous. It had the ability to retard my timing. MSD box also had a 2 step feature. That would of been so awesome if I had a manual. Me not having a manual and slicks resulted in me not doing it.

I'll be sure to put a box in my next car. Especially the 2 step feature.

Gary Palmer 07-11-2006 08:59 AM

I would think that if the MSD system is able to help it to run smoother at idle, that maybe it would be of help in terms of improving efficiency if someone has put a real tall transmission in their car. It seems pretty clear that if you can manage to keep the car moving in a taller gear, you can get better mileage and it would seem to me that since with a taller gear your RPM is substantially lower, for a given speed.

What gearbox do you have in your car?

chesspirate 07-24-2006 09:52 PM

i had the MSD 6a on my truck, along with the MSD coil, and i didn't have any problems.

Overall, overall "smoothness" of the engine improved, idle, acceleration, startup. Didn't see any mileage increases at install, maybee it helped that truck reach almost 25mpg with very few other mods, but i can't be sure.

I used platinum plugs with the box, gapped the .10 over factory, seemed fine, but didn't ever change the plugs or gaps.

Compaq888 07-24-2006 11:05 PM

The guy I sold my msd setup to said he gained 3mpg. I don't know if it's true or not. I mainly used my msd box to help me inject 75 shots into the engine.

GasSavers_DaX 07-25-2006 05:50 AM

I loved my MSD. I ended up smoking an ignitor (I was also using a blaster SS coil), but with MSD you can (and I did) build a cheap and stronger ignitor yourself.