Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   89 Wagovan transmission, what HF will work? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/89-wagovan-transmission-what-hf-will-work-2499.html)

Gary Palmer 07-13-2006 11:24 AM

89 Wagovan transmission, what HF will work?

Hello: I am trying to figure out what year or years of HF transmissions I can use to put in my "wagovan". The more I look, the more confused I get. Here is what I've found;
-the diamater and # splines for an 88 is different than an 89.
-the Wagovan appears be the same gear box as an SX.

Here are some of my questions;
-Can I use a 89-91 HF without making any other changes, or will I need to change the flywheel, also.
-Is their any way to use a 87 or 88 HF transmission.
-Other than the hydraulic clutch, is it possible to use a CX or VX transmission from a 92-95?

I know several of you have put HF transmission's in your car's. Does anyone know the answers to these questions, or know of a reference source I can check out, to figure these answers out.

Thanks, everyone.:(

Matt Timion 07-13-2006 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Palmer
Hello: I am trying to figure out what year or years of HF transmissions I can use to put in my "wagovan". The more I look, the more confused I get. Here is what I've found;
-the diamater and # splines for an 88 is different than an 89.
-the Wagovan appears be the same gear box as an SX.

Here are some of my questions;
-Can I use a 89-91 HF without making any other changes, or will I need to change the flywheel, also.
-Is their any way to use a 87 or 88 HF transmission.
-Other than the hydraulic clutch, is it possible to use a CX or VX transmission from a 92-95?

I know several of you have put HF transmission's in your car's. Does anyone know the answers to these questions, or know of a reference source I can check out, to figure these answers out.

Thanks, everyone.:(

If your car was made between 89-91, you can use a 89-91 HF transmission. You can use a 88 HF transmission if you swap out the clutch/flywheel/axles, but that's kind of a hassle.

The CX/VX transmission will bolt up, but the hydrolic clutch will be an issue for you. I believe the only difference between the 92-95 and 89-91 transmissions is the throwout bearing. Just use the appropriate one for the transmission you're using and you'll be fine.

The best bet is to just find a HF transmission and use your existing axles, etc. I put a WTB ad on honda-tech for you today hoping that someone has one. Since you're in Southern California odds are someone down there has an extra one to spare.

Gary Palmer 07-13-2006 11:44 AM

Totally Awesome!!! Thanks for the information!

GasSavers_civicminded 07-13-2006 12:29 PM

Keep in mind that the 92-95 will only bolt to the block - not the frame. That one is a no-go, at least as a bolt-in.

Matt Timion 07-13-2006 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by civicminded
Keep in mind that the 92-95 will only bolt to the block - not the frame. That one is a no-go, at least as a bolt-in.

Ah, didn't think about that... so it 92-95 will require custom mounts then too, eh?

If that's the case I'd say that going 92-95 tranny in a 88-91 is just too much work, especially since you have to convert to hyrdo as well.

GasSavers_DaX 07-14-2006 02:59 AM

Yeah, best bet is to get an 89-91 HF tranny and use your pre-existing axles.

Gary Palmer 07-14-2006 07:41 AM

Thanks for the help. It sounds like I just need to keep my eye out until I find one at a "cheapy" price I feel I can afford. At least being reasonably comfortable about what I need to look for is a great help.