Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Temporary spares (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/temporary-spares-2555.html)

ketel0ne 07-25-2006 09:40 PM

Temporary spares

I know this may sound odd, but if you only had to drive under 55 and around town, how would a Geo, or other high mileage cars do on something like temporary spares or a very untraditional tire and wheel combo.

I understand the wear rating is like 3k miles and it is temporary etc. Aside from the safety issues, would these provide a LRR type of experience?

Matt Timion 07-25-2006 11:35 PM

I've thought of this a few times before too. I think it's actually been done on a few Honda Insights in the past.

I do believe that in order for it to work properly the vehicle would have to be ultra light.

I personally cringe whenever I see someone driving (on the freeway, no less!) with their spare tires. I just don't think those things are safe AT ALL. For a long time I carried around a full size spare in my trunk, but then I got sick of it taking up so much space.

Anyway, back to your question. I think it's doable, but I won't be doing it :)

SVOboy 07-26-2006 12:55 PM

I agree about the insights having done it.I recall no benefit, dangerous traction in good conditions, and general suckiness, :)

GasSavers_DaX 07-27-2006 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
I personally cringe whenever I see someone driving (on the freeway, no less!) with their spare tires.

Yesterday I was passed by an altima doing 80 with a donut on the front right. I just LOL'd and CODFISHed.

honda_afford 11-02-2006 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
I personally cringe whenever I see someone driving (on the freeway, no less!) with their spare tires. I just don't think those things are safe AT ALL.

yea, I think they are scary too, but I know a guy who works/worked? for goodyear and he says they are made pretty well, with a thicker sidewall. so I dunno.
but I do want to get a full sized spare for my car...

GasSavers_Ryland 11-02-2006 08:07 PM

I would be more temped to mail order some 135/80 13" tires from out side the US, or other super narrow tires that are made for highway use, spare tires are temperary tires, mine state 50 miles max, so even if you can get 3000 miles as you say, that is 1/10th of a normal tire, do they cost 1/10th, or are they going to get you enough better mileage to warrent the extra cost, and matence, and reduced useability?

JanGeo 11-02-2006 08:15 PM

The stock Geo tires are the same size or smaller than the spare. My Geo had 12 inch rims and a 13 inch temp spare. I think there is more to gain working on the engine than playing with low performance tires.

FormulaTwo 11-02-2006 09:48 PM

I feel the same as Ryland. If you chose to do this, i think the cost of the spares wearing faster would make it not worth it. They would be horrible in the rain/snow.
You wouldn't want to drive above 50mph

Good idea though.
Im wondering if you just took the actual spare wheel itself, and mounted a LRR tire to it. How things would work out then.

FormulaTwo 11-02-2006 10:13 PM

I could do it, and document it.
But.....

1. All of my spares sitting around are different sizes.
2. I can't drive 55

muahahah Sammy Hagar

Ted Hart 11-21-2006 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honda_afford
yea, I think they are scary too, but I know a guy who works/worked? for goodyear and he says they are made pretty well, with a thicker sidewall. so I dunno.
but I do want to get a full sized spare for my car...

My question about tire pressure on these space-saver spares being higher... don't most of you people drive around (at speed, too) on more than side-wall max pressure ratings? What's the difference? Lawyers abound...! -Ted Hart:rolleyes: