Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   MID Question, maybe only Yoshi can answer... (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/mid-question-maybe-only-yoshi-can-answer-2562.html)

GasSavers_DaX 07-27-2006 04:03 AM

MID Question, maybe only Yoshi can answer...

OK. I think I'm going to try to buy a Super-MID by the end of the year.

I want to put it on my Civic DX with the HF tranny swap. The dilema that arrises is that at least for the time being, I'm going to still be OBD-0 with a cable speedometer. I don't want to go through the hassle of having a gauge cluster that doesn't fit my dash so that I can run an electric VSS and then have wires running everywhere to my ECU (remember I'm a neat freak).

Does anyone know if I would be able to rig up some kind of magnetic pickup system on my CV joint right at the tranny to feed the MID speed information?

How many pulses per revolution does the MID look for?

Didn't I understand correct that there is some leeway in pulses per revolution - ie, something like the MID likes four but dan got it working with only three?

I just think adding a simple magnetic pickup and some stick on magnets may be the easiest thing right now...but I don't know if it will work.

Matt Timion 07-27-2006 06:23 AM

Dax,

I'm going to try to install it on my sedan with the cable speedo soon. I honestly believe that the electronic signal produced by the DX speedo will work and that SVOBoy's speedo not working was a fluke.

After all, people upgrade to OBD1 all of the time and it works without a problem.

The problem you WILL encouter, however, is your DPFI setup. It will not work properly on DPFI. YOu hook the SuperMID up to one injector, and it multiplies it by four (or however it is setup for your fuel parameter). Since the DPFI system uses the same injector for each cylinder, and will sometimes use two injectors depending on RPM (I call it "old school vtec") the SuperMID has no real way to accurately determine fuel use unless a custom program is made just for the DPFI, which i don't see happening anytime soon.

HF MPFI swap?

krousdb 07-27-2006 06:30 AM

I agree about DPFI. You need to upgrade first. As far as the speed signal, IIRC it is 5 per revolution.

GasSavers_DaX 07-27-2006 09:44 AM

Cool. Guess my next upgrade will be MPFI then. Thanks guys. Keep me posted on the MID install Matt (on the cable speedo).

SVOboy 07-27-2006 09:58 AM

Do you have mpfi parts? I might have a source for you.

GasSavers_DaX 07-27-2006 11:50 AM

I do not yet. Do I have it right when I think that all I'll need is:

*Fully loaded MPFI intake manifold
*MPFI OBD-0 ECU

Am I missing any components?

What kind of MPFI manifold do you have sourced, SVO? Is the ECU OBD-0? Do you know a ballpark price?

SVOboy 07-27-2006 11:56 AM

Yep, mpfi manifold, everything on it, injectors, rail, ecu.

Distributor!!!

Anyway, I know of someone who picked up a civic si for free and they might part it out. I also have personally an obd1 IM and Dizzy and soon ecu so if you wanna source injectors/fuel rail (I could help of course) as well as tb you could go that route.

You'll need the injector clips but I'm sure you have a spare harness or matt can get some for a few bucks.

GasSavers_DaX 07-27-2006 05:06 PM

Spare harness wouldn't be a problem. All this will probably have to wait until October sometime, so hold off for contacting folks for me. I will probably use you as a resource though.

Duh, dizzy.

SVOboy 07-27-2006 05:11 PM

Mwahaha, october I'll be gone, so I'm no good then, but I'll find you someone, I always know someone selling a mpfi swap.

GasSavers_Yoshi 07-27-2006 07:42 PM

Hi all,

The industry standard for the speedometer mechanical cable is 637 rev/km.
The digital VSS for Toyota and Honda sends 4 pulses/rev which means 2,548 pulses/km.
I saw some place that the US vehicle VSS is 4,000 pulses/mile, but the exact number using the standard is 4,077 pulses/mile.

Regards,
Yoshi