Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   ok, i admit it... im a newbie (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/ok-i-admit-it-im-a-newbie-2741.html)

argylesocks 08-21-2006 02:51 AM

ok, i admit it... im a newbie

hey all...

im jj. from NH. vegan. cyclist (road & cyclocross).

i like sitting by the fireplace and long walks on the beach.

just traded in my saab (22mpg) for a Yaris (last tank 41mpg) and i love it!!!
i do alot of traveling for bike races, and my gas bill was getting out of control.
this should help :)

Compaq888 08-21-2006 04:31 AM

good trade. The gas and constant repairs got to me too. I traded a altima for a civic.

Welcome.

GasSavers_Jack 08-21-2006 04:52 AM

One good way to help your gas milage it to put the bike in the car if you can and not up on the rack.

Welcome

MetroMPG 08-21-2006 05:08 AM

The Yaris invasion continues. DUN DUN DUNnnnnnn....

That's a good thing.

I think cyclists may have some advantage when it comes to driving efficiently, since when you ride, you're thinking strategically about efficiency all the time.

And you're already highly aware of the effect of tire pressure on rolling resistance... And you "get" the effect of aerodynamic drag on a fundamental level.

Welcome to the site!

ketel0ne 08-21-2006 06:14 AM

Welcome to yet another new Yaris owner. :)

argylesocks 08-21-2006 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG

I think cyclists may have some advantage when it comes to driving efficiently, since when you ride, you're thinking strategically about efficiency all the time.

hahaha... too funny, because even before i became 'fuel efficient' i would think like a bike racer... ie: stay out of the wind.... recover on this downhill... draft the truck.... good time to pass.... outsprint this guy to the town line marker :) etc.

argylesocks 08-21-2006 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack
One good way to help your gas milage it to put the bike in the car if you can and not up on the rack.

Welcome

i know.. i will try it for the first few races of the season & see how it goes. it will be a VERY tight fit with:

girlfriend
bike
4 wheels
trainer
gear pack with a ton of gear
food cooler
pressurized bike washer
tool box

due to the nature of cyclocross races, i have to pack 80% of what i own for each race. it was tough even with the bike on the roof :)

MetroMPG 08-21-2006 07:35 AM

Or, in recreationally cycling or commuting: e.g. lots of coasting - don't pedal all the way up to a stop sign, or lights, etc.

Or, using the gears to keep the most efficient cadence (RPM) for the load. The list goes on and on.

Mountain biking is also a great way to develop a good understanding of friction & traction that you can intuitively apply to driving in dodgy conditions (snow, gravel).

MetroMPG 08-21-2006 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by argylesocks
i know.. i will try it for the first few races of the season & see how it goes. it will be a VERY tight fit

If it doesn't fit inside, a rear mounted rack is better than the roof: stick it in the wake behind the car where it makes little difference, instead of in the airflow over the roof (where it also increases frontal area).

argylesocks 08-21-2006 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG
If it doesn't fit inside, a rear mounted rack is better than the roof: stick it in the wake behind the car where it makes little difference, instead of in the airflow over the roof (where it also increases frontal area).

im scared of getting rear ended. i care more about the Pegoretti on the back than the new car. :)