Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   ok, i admit it... im a newbie (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/ok-i-admit-it-im-a-newbie-2741.html)

argylesocks 08-21-2006 02:51 AM

ok, i admit it... im a newbie

hey all...

im jj. from NH. vegan. cyclist (road & cyclocross).

i like sitting by the fireplace and long walks on the beach.

just traded in my saab (22mpg) for a Yaris (last tank 41mpg) and i love it!!!
i do alot of traveling for bike races, and my gas bill was getting out of control.
this should help :)

Compaq888 08-21-2006 04:31 AM

good trade. The gas and constant repairs got to me too. I traded a altima for a civic.

Welcome.

GasSavers_Jack 08-21-2006 04:52 AM

One good way to help your gas milage it to put the bike in the car if you can and not up on the rack.

Welcome

MetroMPG 08-21-2006 05:08 AM

The Yaris invasion continues. DUN DUN DUNnnnnnn....

That's a good thing.

I think cyclists may have some advantage when it comes to driving efficiently, since when you ride, you're thinking strategically about efficiency all the time.

And you're already highly aware of the effect of tire pressure on rolling resistance... And you "get" the effect of aerodynamic drag on a fundamental level.

Welcome to the site!

ketel0ne 08-21-2006 06:14 AM

Welcome to yet another new Yaris owner. :)

argylesocks 08-21-2006 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG

I think cyclists may have some advantage when it comes to driving efficiently, since when you ride, you're thinking strategically about efficiency all the time.

hahaha... too funny, because even before i became 'fuel efficient' i would think like a bike racer... ie: stay out of the wind.... recover on this downhill... draft the truck.... good time to pass.... outsprint this guy to the town line marker :) etc.

argylesocks 08-21-2006 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack
One good way to help your gas milage it to put the bike in the car if you can and not up on the rack.

Welcome

i know.. i will try it for the first few races of the season & see how it goes. it will be a VERY tight fit with:

girlfriend
bike
4 wheels
trainer
gear pack with a ton of gear
food cooler
pressurized bike washer
tool box

due to the nature of cyclocross races, i have to pack 80% of what i own for each race. it was tough even with the bike on the roof :)

MetroMPG 08-21-2006 07:35 AM

Or, in recreationally cycling or commuting: e.g. lots of coasting - don't pedal all the way up to a stop sign, or lights, etc.

Or, using the gears to keep the most efficient cadence (RPM) for the load. The list goes on and on.

Mountain biking is also a great way to develop a good understanding of friction & traction that you can intuitively apply to driving in dodgy conditions (snow, gravel).

MetroMPG 08-21-2006 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by argylesocks
i know.. i will try it for the first few races of the season & see how it goes. it will be a VERY tight fit

If it doesn't fit inside, a rear mounted rack is better than the roof: stick it in the wake behind the car where it makes little difference, instead of in the airflow over the roof (where it also increases frontal area).

argylesocks 08-21-2006 08:07 AM

Quote:

If it doesn't fit inside, a rear mounted rack is better than the roof: stick it in the wake behind the car where it makes little difference, instead of in the airflow over the roof (where it also increases frontal area).

im scared of getting rear ended. i care more about the Pegoretti on the back than the new car. :)

MetroMPG 08-21-2006 08:12 AM

Funny - I know more guys who have lost bikes off their top carriers: one in a garage entrance (crunch!), 2 highway speed involuntary "dismounts". Don't know anyone who's had one pancaked in a rear-ender. Though I'm sure it's happened somewhere!

argylesocks 08-21-2006 08:17 AM

Quote:

2 highway speed involuntary "dismounts".

ouch!

any idea how much mpg i would loose with a bike ontop??
how about with just the rack & fairing?

i have a rear hatch rack waiting for me at the shop... but i was waiting to see about the roof attatchments..

who knows. i got 6 weeks before my doc allows me to race anyways. its been a loooong summer of no riding :(

Matt Timion 08-21-2006 08:25 AM

Quote:

ouch!

any idea how much mpg i would loose with a bike ontop??
how about with just the rack & fairing?

Without a real test it's hard to say, but I'm willing to bet you could lose around 5 MPG with a roof-mounted bike.

MetroMPG 08-21-2006 08:28 AM

Ouch, yup. Amazingly one only ended up with a bit of rash & a torn saddle (though it was a dh mountain bike). The owner watched in the mirror, horrified as is bounced & kartwheeled behind him. Luckily it bounced right off the road so it didn't get run over by anyone else.

5% is the most quoted figure for the roof rack FE penalty. Though it's really impossible to generalize. It'll be very different depending on the car, the rack style & the load.

See:

https://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=1554

SVOboy 08-21-2006 08:31 AM

Hi, I'm ben, I'll be living in NH. I'm vegan! We'll have to schedule a meet!

I'm glad so many yarii are showing up, shows there's actually a new car to be reckoned with! (too bad it's no echo)

argylesocks 08-21-2006 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Hi, I'm ben, I'll be living in NH. I'm vegan! We'll have to schedule a meet!

I'm glad so many yarii are showing up, shows there's actually a new car to be reckoned with! (too bad it's no echo)

where you living in NH??
im in manch.

let me knwo where you are... we can meet up. ill give you a list of good veggie friend rest.

too funny as a friend of mine, (vegan, cyclist, that i met online) from NJ just moved up here for the summer.

SVOboy 08-21-2006 08:52 AM

I'll be living in the east wheelock dorms at dartmouth, in hanover. I have no idea when manchester is though, :p

I just became vegan, so I'm still trying to sort things out, but yeah, I'm excited. (I'm a runner though)

SVOboy 08-21-2006 08:58 AM

Mmm, I got a little off track from the FE game, but my best advice would be to pick up a scangauge!!!!!

argylesocks 08-21-2006 09:25 AM

Quote:

I'll be living in the east wheelock dorms at dartmouth, in hanover. I have no idea when manchester is though, :p

I just became vegan, so I'm still trying to sort things out, but yeah, I'm excited. (I'm a runner though)

ur about 45mins west of me. manch is in the middle of the state. between you and the seacoast...

i got some friends from out there.. ill find out whats what for you in regards to restaurants...

SVOboy 08-21-2006 09:31 AM

Aww, you're awesome! We'll definately have to do something, I want to go for a ride in a yaris sometime, :p

Mehbe you can go for a push in my metro, too, ;)

schmeep 08-21-2006 02:38 PM

i'm new to the forum as well, i'm also a yaris owner. i've got a 2006 5 dr le model with 5 spd transmission and right now it has about 15 000 km on it and i seem to be getting better mileage now that the engine is broken in.

tomauto 08-21-2006 02:41 PM

wow

Yaris invasion. There is no stopping them now! Where are the Fit owners?

Matt Timion 08-21-2006 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomauto
Yaris invasion. There is no stopping them now! Where are the Fit owners?

Only 16,000 sold in the US... compared to over 30,000 Yaris

tomauto 08-21-2006 02:46 PM

Fit

I wanted to buy a fit, but they were going to charge me 19,500 for one. So I said to myself....why dont I just buy an si? So I left the dealership and decided to keep my car, after all everything still works in it.

SVOboy 08-21-2006 02:53 PM

Welcome schmeep! Don't forget to make your own intro thread!

Anyway, I think the yaris came out first, so yeah.

schmeep 08-21-2006 03:30 PM

tomauto, that is the problem with the fit- it is too expensive, my friend has one and it is an awesome car, but he paid $23,000 (Canadian funds) for a non-sport model, compared to the $17,000 (CAD) i paid for my yaris.
he has a few features that i don't, such as auto trans and side airbags, but it is really priced out of a lot of people's range.

SVOboy 08-21-2006 04:45 PM

Don't worry about the old school, :p, that's pretty much everyone besides the yarii owners, which is part of the reason I'm so glad they're here.

schmeep 08-21-2006 04:58 PM

the central guage is a little wierd at first, but i really prefer it now. every car i ever owned, i would have to crane my neck to look through the wheel at the guages, with the yaris, i don't.
a lot of people don't like it though, i think toyota wanted to keep the price as low as possible, so the central guage cluster was one of those things to keep costs down.

it is a real shame that toyota only offers the 1.5L petrol engine in n. america because the 1.4 L diesel apparently gets amazing mileage.

MetroMPG 08-23-2006 07:38 PM

I like the central gauge - drove an Echo hatch a couple of years ago. It's different.

---

MetroMPG 08-23-2006 07:58 PM

Highway bulls? :confused:

My racks are old-school: no built-in aerodynamic properties at all. I have only used them once with this car. (I have a hatchback-rack for carrying the bike).

Most factory racks these days are somewhat aero-optimized, but I agree - they're basically a waste of fuel, and about as frequently used as the off-road capabilities of most SUVs.

SVOboy 08-23-2006 10:09 PM

Except in the case of our new, vegan friend, :)

argylesocks 08-24-2006 03:58 AM

Quote:

Except in the case of our new, vegan friend, :)

haha.
not this summer... im still recovering from a bad crash back in early spring.
tuesday was my first ride outside in almost 4 months!!!

argylesocks 08-24-2006 04:13 AM

Quote:

I like the central gauge - drove an Echo hatch a couple of years ago. It's different.

---

OK argylesocks, get that bike the heck off your roof!!

oh my goodness!! thats insane!
i guess i will have to think more about that hatch rack, eh?

i dont mind loosing a bit of FE for the convience of having them up there and locked... but loosing 15mpg is crazy!!

oh yeah... did you have a faring on there? i have one, which would prob help a bit...

MetroMPG 08-24-2006 07:47 AM

Quote:

but loosing 15mpg is crazy!!

oh yeah... did you have a faring on there? i have one, which would prob help a bit...

Better to look at the % loss, rather than my absolute MPG change, and apply it to your hwy baseline.

I'm going to post pics and more details later today if I get the chance. Probably split the roof rack talk into a separate thread too, since it's come up a few times recently.

EDIT: writeup & some pics posted here: https://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=3016

argylesocks 08-24-2006 08:24 AM

Quote:

I'm going to post pics and more details later today if I get the chance. Probably split the roof rack talk into a separate thread too, since it's come up a few times recently.

again - thanks for the input on this...
ill have to do my own experiments at some point :)

SVOboy 08-24-2006 01:08 PM

Just signed up for the guide to crueltry-free eating, :)

schmeep 08-24-2006 01:14 PM

yeah me too, i'd like to reduce my cruelty, maybe not get rid of it altogether though.

argylesocks 08-25-2006 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schmeep
yeah me too, i'd like to reduce my cruelty, maybe not get rid of it altogether though.

every bit helps :)

mexellent 10-09-2006 05:34 PM

You know, Im lookin at my bike rack, w/fairing, and I would almost venture to say that the fairing doesnt help at all. It just increases the overall frontal area of the car. The tubes arent very big, I think a little "V" behind them to make them look like a teardrop from the side would be better. I ordered a scanguage so as soon as I get it Ill run some tests:

*bike rack w/ fairing and no bike
*bike rack w/o fairing and no bike
*no bike rack

And if the tests go by fairly quick I'll throw a bike up there as well.

DRW 10-09-2006 08:07 PM

Yakima makes an aero add-on for cross bars. They're about 6 to 8 inches wide, so you may need to get several in order to notice a difference. Also note in the description that the Windjammer and fairings are intended to reduce wind noise, not drag. Although to me, noise = turbulence, which usually means more drag.

check it out
https://yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=93