Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Computer geek, actually learning a thing or two about cars... (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/computer-geek-actually-learning-a-thing-or-two-about-cars-2746.html)

DracoFelis 08-21-2006 08:40 PM

Computer geek, actually learning a thing or two about cars...

I guess I should do a brief intro (since I've already done some other posts). I'm actually a computer professional (to pay the bills), as well as someone who already has (on some other forums) a reputation as a sort of "expert" on VOIP (i.e. internet based "phone" service).

I recently joined this forum, because I have already been trying to see what I can do to keep the (long term) costs of our family commutes down to a dull roar (and by long term costs, I include spending proper money on maintenance, to cut down on even most costly breakdowns later). After all, between the cost of gas, and the fact that we live away from the main city (i.e. a moderately long commute to/from work, and the timing is such that the two of us can't usually "share the ride"), we naturally spend more than we would like for gas each month (even with the two Hondas in the family). While I have heard various suggestions for improving a car, there is still a lot of "snake oil" out there, and it's actually a royal pain to sort the good advice from the bad.

Which is why I spent a few weeks online (and also talking to a mechanic I know) to start learning the basics of the "technology" that is car work. The way I look at it, is that if I "want a clue" about the real trade-offs in some technical area, I need to learn at least the basics of that tech. So even though I'm still "a computer geek", I think I now "know enough to be dangerous" when it comes to cars...

And as part of my online searching, I found this web site. The thing I like about this site, is that you seem to take a pragmatic approach to FE (both simple car mods, and driving techniques). OTOH I've found many sites that talk about "hot rodding" cars, but why would I want even more power (at the expense of FE, and possibly also car longevity) out of cars that already have a lot of "pick up and go" on the road?!? After all, I'm married, and really don't need my car to try to "prove my manhood", nor am I interested in racing on the track. And I've also found a few sites dedicated to hybrid cars, that seem to have a pretty snobbish attitude about anyone driving a "normal" car (much less a 15 year old "normal" car). Which is why I think this site is so nice, because it takes a pragmatic "middle of the road" approach to these matters.

And who knows? With luck (and some of the tips I'm learning here) I might even get better MPG than I'm already getting (and my efforts to date, have already kept my CRX's MPG noticeably above 40 the whole summer)...

SVOboy 08-21-2006 08:43 PM

Comma splice!!!

But anyway, we're glad to have you around. What's up with your avatar?

GasSavers_Jack 08-22-2006 04:52 AM

Nice to have you.

How far is your commute?

DracoFelis 08-22-2006 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
What's up with your avatar?

You mean the fact that it's an animated GIF?

I originally worked on it a while back, for https://www.dslreports.com (another forum site, mostly involved with broadband internet issues, but which has branched out to other areas as well). But since this site allows avatars to be uploaded, and I already had this nice one on my disk (for use on another site), I figured I would just upload it here.

DracoFelis 08-22-2006 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack
How far is your commute?

My commute is 30+ miles each way. Which might not sound like much, but the miles add up. My wife's commute is more variable (as she doesn't always work in the same place). And then there are the family errands...

BTW: And yes, I've looked into alternative transportation options. We live way off the bus lines, so that isn't an option. And when I looked into "car pooling" and "van pooling", there weren't any groups/runs that came closer than about 10 miles from my place. :(

GasSavers_Jack 08-22-2006 05:27 AM

I drive 42 miles each way to my office then there are the almost dayly trips out of the office both for work and shopping so I put on about 100 miles a day. I live way out in the boonies so there really is no option but to drive. My wife is a teacher so at least she isn't driving to the city everyday in the summer her commute it about 18 miles each way.

Happy to see another honda. I too have a CRX but that will soon be for sale once I get the VX up and on the road.

JanGeo 08-22-2006 05:37 AM

VOIP cool will have some questions on that when I get the Soyo VOIP phones and skype loaded for the chatterboxes. Other than that is doesn't look like acetone is going to help you because you drive a honda but maybe you could try it anyway so engine oil treatments is one of the next steps as well as tire pressure and aero mods.

Matt Timion 08-22-2006 07:48 AM

Welcome to the site. This has been said before, but the #1 modification you can make is to care about fuel economy. Just observing your fuel economy will make it so you can get better results.

I havn't taken a look at your car yet (do you have a garage entry?) but there are some simple aero mods you can make. If you want to get into the heavy mechanics, a HF transmission swap can be in order.

Even right now I doubt many people would believe that you can get in the 40s with an older car.

Anyway, welcome, and please share your VOIP knowledge with us :) I need to get rid of this land line.

Ted Hart 08-23-2006 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DracoFelis
My commute is 30+ miles each way. Which might not sound like much, but the miles add up. My wife's commute is more variable (as she doesn't always work in the same place). And then there are the family errands...

BTW: And yes, I've looked into alternative transportation options. We live way off the bus lines, so that isn't an option. And when I looked into "car pooling" and "van pooling", there weren't any groups/runs that came closer than about 10 miles from my place. :(

Hi, Computer Geek!
I can locate no other handle for you, so....
I gather from your posts you would like to squeeze a bit more mileage from your ride. I also noticed you've been "encouraged" to up the tire pressures (good advice!), add oil treatments ( dangerous advice...), aero mods (lots of work! It's easier to slow down a bit), adding acetone to each refueling (good advice! ~3 fluid ounces per 10 gallons of gasoline works well) works in any gasoline engine, Hondas included! There are more, of course; I even have my own favorites! Shall I share? -Ted Hart / CHEMbustion

SVOboy 08-23-2006 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted Hart
adding acetone to each refueling (good advice! ~3 fluid ounces per 10 gallons of gasoline works well) works in any gasoline engine, Hondas included!

Not my honda, not matt's honda, and not some others I'm forgetting at the moment.