Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Honda CRX HF Gearing ...and/or engine swap (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/honda-crx-hf-gearing-and-or-engine-swap-2815.html)

Brian D. 08-31-2006 07:46 AM

Honda CRX HF Gearing ...and/or engine swap

I only recently learned why my HF screams @ highway speeds.
Apparently there were 2 different transmissions available for
the HF (the "49 state" and the other one). My last HF had
the good tranny, which turned @ 2250RPM at 70MPH. The one I
have now is about 500RPM higher. I'd really like to swap that
5th gear for the taller one...but where can I get one of
those?

GasSavers_Ryland 08-31-2006 07:56 AM

www.car-part.com seems to have them, alot of them, cheapest/closest to me is $100 for a whole tranny.

it looks like there were 3 trannies in the HF, a "normal" one, a high altatude, and a californa only, I suspect you have the high altatude one.

Brian D. 08-31-2006 08:13 AM

HF Tranny

Worst part is that unless I can get some inside information
from Honda Motor Co., it's just going to be trial & error
when I just start pulling gears out of HF's....as I know of
no method to deciphering which will have the tallest 5th
gear. I'll likely wind up with the same as what I already
have.

SVOboy 08-31-2006 08:35 AM

Yay, time for me to be of use! But first of all, introduce yourself in our intro forum, :)

SVOboy 08-31-2006 08:35 AM

https://crxmpg.com/8891dgearing.html

As you can see, the difference is not in the gears, it's in the final drive!

Brian D. 08-31-2006 08:43 AM

Great! Your from my (weekend) homeland...sort of. I drive from VA Beach to Monmouth Cty, NJ every weekend. Anyway, I don't know a whole lot about transmissions...and never cracked one open. What's the deal with the final drive? I sure wish I had my old '91 HF...now THAT was the tranny/gearing to have. Instead I've got this crappy gearing that makes me work like hell just to obtain 47MPG. I used to get 50-55 MPG in that old '91. Okay, what's my solution?? I'd love to go 6-speed...but somehow I don't see that as feasible. **Are you a Honda head? If so I've got more questions for you (FE questions).

SVOboy 08-31-2006 08:48 AM

6 speed isn't feasible unless you feel like fabbing up some awd b stuff, or awd d stuff, or going k series, :p

Anyway, the solution that's easiest would just be to buy another HF transmission, but get one that's 49 state this time.

Fire away with your honda questions!

Brian D. 08-31-2006 09:07 AM

Nice! Here goes: As much as I've been wanting to get this better (taller gear/final drive) tranny back again, I would still have to install it in this 63HP CRX HF of mine. I can't help but wonder though, what if I get my hands on the Civic VX ('92-95) D15Z1 motor...which makes 30+ HP than my HF does.....and couple that with the fact that I'd be dropping it into my HF body, which is ~200LBS lighter than the VX (not sure about motor weight difference). If I then couple that with the gearing from my HF tranny...and larger diameter (but lightweight, of course) wheel/tire combination....wouldn't I be in a major sweetspot? I would figure 92 HP would help me make decent highway power (on inclines & whatnot) where the little HF motor struggles. Wouldn't this combination be the perfect platform to work with for super high EF?

SVOboy 08-31-2006 09:08 AM

Yes, you've indeed figured that out well. It is the perfect plaform, and I really wish I had one but no luck finding one in good shape around my neck of the woods. I think there's an importer around you though, iono.

Brian D. 08-31-2006 09:14 AM

Ah. I rarely see these damn VX's. Saw one last night at the supermarket, but was too late to leave a note on the window. If I do track one down I'm going to be all over it. So should I assume the HF tranny bolts directly upto the VX motor? (just wasn't sure about that). Sorry to chew your ear off, but I only just found this site after 6 years of being an HF owner.