Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Another Greenhorn ... (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/another-greenhorn-2888.html)

cfg83 09-09-2006 11:17 PM

Another Greenhorn ...

Hello -

I am Carlos. I have a 1999 Saturn SW2 (mini wagon). It's a decent car for MPG, but I switched to a 76 mile round trip commute in the past year. I hate the oil companies, so I want to up my MPG. I have a ScanGauge, so I should be able to see MPG go up or down when I try something. I have always been an economy car person (VW Karmann Ghia, Datsun 210 Honeybee, Honda 350F Motorcycle, Honda CRX, Saturn SC2 Coupe, and present SW2), so finding you guys is GrrrrrRRRRRATE (as Tony the Tiger would say)!

:D

CarloSW2

Matt Timion 09-09-2006 11:25 PM

Hey Carlos... looks like you'll fit right in. Are you enjoying that scangauge? It seems that instrumentation makes all of the difference in the world.

MetroMPG 09-10-2006 05:23 AM

Welcome Carlos.

A number of Saturn folks hang around here. So... is yours 5-speed or automatic?

kickflipjr 09-10-2006 05:25 AM

good another saturn owner! So what kind of mpg have you been getting?

diamondlarry 09-10-2006 07:48 AM

Welcome! There are a bunch of Honda guys here but us Saturn people will take over. YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED!:D Just kidding. I'm about to pick up a '99 SL2(next weekend?). I would say that any mods that work out on my car should work on yours as well. Depending on whether or not you have a 5-speed, some or all of the driving techniques will work too.

psyshack 09-10-2006 08:18 AM

Welcome Carlos!!!

Tons of info here and folks like yourself. :)

cfg83 09-10-2006 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG
Welcome Carlos.

A number of Saturn folks hang around here. So... is yours 5-speed or automatic?

I have a 5-speed manual. I have been driving manuals since 1982 and I wouldn't have it any other way. Saturn mini wagons with stickshift are *rare*. I got is used at 36K miles, and now it has 120K miles.

CarloSW2

cfg83 09-10-2006 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickflipjr
good another saturn owner! So what kind of mpg have you been getting?

I can get over 38MPG on the highway going to work, but I think the net elevation is downhill (my wife has a GPS, so I need to check with that). My best "clean run" was almost 45 MPG. I am still being killed on the streets. I can coast with the best of them, but I am still too paranoid/brainwashed to turn off the engine at stops :( .

CarloSW2

cfg83 09-10-2006 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Hey Carlos... looks like you'll fit right in. Are you enjoying that scangauge? It seems that instrumentation makes all of the difference in the world.

The funnest part is going downhill on the freeway in neutral with the instantaneous Gauge MPG. 150 MPG, Wooo-Hoooo!!!!!

CarloSW2

kickflipjr 09-11-2006 05:15 AM

Quote:

Saturn mini wagons with stickshift are *rare*.
Yeah my mom has one and its a auto.

150mpg? oh yeah, the downhill.

SVOboy 09-12-2006 07:16 PM

Pika pika!

Welcome to the site, belated, but welcome nonetheless.

SVOboy 09-12-2006 07:16 PM

Pika pika!

cfg83 09-12-2006 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Pika pika!

PIKA PIKA? PIKA. PIKACHU PIKA, PIKA PI, PI PIKA, PI!
PIKA, PI PIKA. PIKA PIKA. PI. PIKA. CHU. PI, PI PIKA. CHU!
PIKA, PIKA? PI, PI PIKA. CHU, PIKA. PI. PIKA. CHU?
PIKA. PIKA, PIKA, PIKA PIKA. PI. PIKA. PIKA, PIKA. PIKA
PI, PI. PI CHU

Translation : You speak my Language!

Now if I could only get Pikachu to replace my alternator, I could take the belt off and increase my MPG.

CarloSW2

Ted Hart 09-20-2006 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83
I can coast with the best of them, but I am still too paranoid/brainwashed to turn off the engine at stops :( .

CarloSW2

Paranoid? Why? Fear of not being able to re-start? Relax! It started before, right?
Brainwashed? Baaa! ...sheepspeak for BS (brainwashed sheep)! Again, relax!

SVOboy 09-20-2006 09:46 AM

Well, I'd be nervous too, I've had my car not restart and Hume would say that there's no reason for it to restart besides blind faith, so let him go at this own pace, :p