Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Running Gear (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Toyota said no... Then okay (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f11/toyota-said-no-then-okay-2897.html)

chesspirate 09-11-2006 01:43 PM

Toyota said no... Then okay

I contacted Toyota about coasting in N with my Auto in my Yaris. Did this by email and got a response about 3weeks later saying "we do not recommend you do this"

well, duh thats the answer i expected, so i called up corporate with my question in thier data banks (thier system is scary efficient) and asked the question again. The person on the phone asked me to hold then after about 5 minutes go back on the line and said that it was a 'safety' issue if acceleration was demaded and also that the mileage increase was negligable.

I politely disagreed on the second point, then asked specifically "is there any mechanical problems that can arise from coasting in N" and she said "NO"

So, as far as I take that; Toyota said that my auto coasting wont hurt anything mechanically, just that i can't accelerate while in N....

hmmm, guess i'll keep the coasting going!

MetroMPG 09-11-2006 01:53 PM

Nice work!

Next, I'd ask them if there are any mechanical consequences of coasting in N with the engine OFF. To avoid the TSK TSK factor, you could phrase it in the form of a towing question. :)

PS - I'd specify: short distances.

sam07yaris 09-11-2006 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG
Nice work!

Next, I'd ask them if there are any mechanical consequences of coasting in N with the engine OFF. To avoid the TSK TSK factor, you could phrase it in the form of a towing question. :)

PS - I'd specify: short distances.

i have an 07 yaris Manual. So it won't hurt the engine at all if I shut it down, coast and start it up *fas*. I know you can start a manual that way but in effects of transmission, this would not hurt one bit, correct?

MetroMPG 09-11-2006 02:13 PM

It won't hurt the manual transmission to coast, no.

If you re-start the engine using the clutch, I wouldn't say you're hurting it, unless your technique is really rough. There would of course be some additional clutch wear.

BTW, welcome to GS sam07yaris. :)

Feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in the Introduce Yourself forum.

ketel0ne 09-11-2006 03:11 PM

I am glad they said it would not hurt it, but I was going to do it during my warranty and let them prove that is what broke it if it came down to it. Worst case I could sell one of the 4 vehicles sitting in the yard to get the trans fixed. But I really do not believe anything bad will happen to it, and neither does the guy who has replaced, rebuilt any trans or clutch in my family for the last 10 years. None of us has ever ruined one but have bought a few that way and he is a pretty straight shooter.

JanGeo 09-11-2006 03:40 PM

Just keep in mind that each time you start your engine you cause wear to the piston rings that have no lubrication when they sit at 0 rpm - no oil film holding them off the cylinder walls. In an auto transmission coasting in neutral I would think would be ok although I wonder how many gears are turning connected to the output shaft(s). I would not recommend turning off the engine as it provides lubrication to the moving parts in the transmission and have been told that the seals also are lubricated by the oil flowing from the engine pumping the torque converter. I suppose a diagram of the tranny will show this if we can find one. Also keep in mind that the computer in my Scion xB running the gauges and engine will not produce a signal to the Scangauge if the engine is not turning over even if the key is turned on - same in a Yaris I think.

ketel0ne 09-11-2006 03:43 PM

I am not doing engine off. I am perfectly happy with the N results. BIG HILLS :)

chesspirate 09-11-2006 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ketel0ne
and neither does the guy who has replaced, rebuilt any trans or clutch in my family for the last 10 years.

so, why would it have been considered bad in the past? What was the theory? I'm interesting.

ketel0ne 09-11-2006 03:53 PM

If you mean why did we need service? We have bought used cars exclusively and they had issues when we bought them, truck had a bad trans we got the truck for next to nothing. 94 Vette needed a clutch we knew it on the test drive offered $3500 less and bought it. Between my wife, my father, mother and sister we currently own 12 vehicles. In the last 10 years that number is probably a collective 40-50.

If you mean why it would be bad to coast in N in an automatic even with the engine on, it is as hotly contested on the web as the value/use of synthetic oil. People have LOTS of opinions.

Sorry to answer this way I wasn;t sure exactly what you were asking.

chesspirate 09-11-2006 08:26 PM

no no, answering the way you did is great. Answers more questions, even if they aren't mine. And mine was the second one, thanks.

I wont shut the engine off, just too darn scared to. But going in neutral for 10-13 miles at around 70-80mph is way cooler than putting my foot on the gas just to stay at 60-65!!!