Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Running Gear (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Toyota said no... Then okay (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f11/toyota-said-no-then-okay-2897.html)

Brian D. 09-12-2006 01:00 PM

honestly, HONESTLY, there are only 2 reasons I don't shut the car off to coast: #1 is because I truly believe that it isn't good for your ECU. ON/OFF/ON/OFF/ON/OFF....I mean, c'mon. Isn't that how Sh#@ breaks?! Eh, the #2 reason is because I think every other driver on the road will think I'm screwy. If the car next to you is OFF, that car has usually stalled. As it is, when I'm approaching my parking spot at work and I turn my car off 100 feet or so before I reach my spot (coasting) I get the feeling people think "what the hell is wrong with him" or "is it really that bad...are the gas prices killing you?". But really, that's just me. I'm funny like that.

diamondlarry 09-12-2006 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psyshack
Ive been coasting engine off since I was taught at 6 years of age. I guess I was luckey in the fact my father belived in starting us young in all types of driving. With focus on skills.

I currenty, at will coast my 2000 5MT Ranger, 2005 Accord 5AT and my 2006 Civic 5MT. I have coasted, ICE off every car Ive ever owned and many of my friends and familys cars and trucks.

As for safety? Get some skills. My cars hold vacume very well for the brakes. Power steering and the lack of it has never hindered me in the ablity to control my cars or trucks. I have the brawn to muscle my cars very fast. Now the wife dosent so she dosent FAS. Thats a limit put on her by her small size and muscle distro. And general lack of skill and for thought.

I have never worn out or broken a tranny. Never!!! AT or MT. A nice thing about older AT trannies in the old days was they would restart the ICE if you were above 15 or so mph. Have the ignition on and drop them into drive. Ive had several old power glides and turbo 300's with some old Ford units that would do this with no ill effect.

Ive FAS'd every motorcycle Ive ever owned also. And I intend to FAS my new Harley when I pull the trigger and get it.

As for the jail and law stuff. Go get on cell phone users. There more danger to the motoring public than drunks.

Your fears are unfounded. LOLOLOLOLOL

OO I would also put Waynes over all driving skills up against yours and alot of other folks any day of the week.

Yeah. What he said. I have NEVER run out of vacuum even after coasting for over a mile, I have NEVER had uneven tire wear, and I have NEVER broken a tranny. Oh, and I've NEVER burned out an ECU or worn out an ignition switch. Skills are very necessary. If you don't have the proper skills, then no, don't coast with the engine off.

MetroMPG 09-12-2006 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian D.
I truly believe that it isn't good for your ECU. ON/OFF/ON/OFF/ON/OFF....

You don't necessarily have to shut the key off to kill the motor.

My ECU is always ON because I stop the engine with an coil pickup interrupt switch I installed. The power to the ECU is constant.

diamondlarry 09-12-2006 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG
You don't necessarily have to shut the key off to kill the motor.

My ECU is always ON because I stop the engine with an coil pickup interrupt switch I installed. The power to the ECU is constant.

After next week when I pick up my car, it will have an injector kill switch.

MetroMPG 09-12-2006 05:22 PM

TBI, Larry?

diamondlarry 09-12-2006 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG
TBI, Larry?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean but I'll take a stab at it. My injector kill switch should work on TBI as well. You would be doing the same thing but would only have one wire to splice into instead of the 4 that I had.

red91sit 10-12-2006 07:28 PM

To answer some questions that were never asked...

Are you sure you have to tap into 4 wires? most fuel injectors work off of seprated ground for control, but a shared 12v switched source that it split through a power distribution block. On all of my cars, an injector cut is as simple as wiring these 4 wires (or 8) into a switch, then connecting it to a 12v switched source.

Shutting off the motor on a motorcycle is a BAD idea, the gearbox in these is not designed to be coasted in, you shouldn't hold the clutch in vary long at all, it's really not good for your transmission.

BTW, i've engine off coasted (not sure of hte letters for this) many times in my 4044lb Lincoln Towncar. It's vacuum reserve is the size of a coffee can, so the brakes still work okay after i coast UP my driveway haha. The no powersteering is difficult, I'm more afraid i'm going to break something the steering wheel feels so flimsy :S

On my other car, it has no powersteering, and have never had a problem with this, I actually prefer it on light cars, better feel for the road.

lovemysan 10-12-2006 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondlarry
I'm not exactly sure what you mean but I'll take a stab at it. My injector kill switch should work on TBI as well. You would be doing the same thing but would only have one wire to splice into instead of the 4 that I had.

I would like this information very much! An injector kill switch is my next mod. I'm going to mount it on the gear stick with overide switches to prevent my wife from hitting it.

red91sit 10-14-2006 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher
Put some mufflers on that hog!

I was thinking about it, probobly one of them spinny ones, right behind the gas tank :D