Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Guess what modification I made today & win a prize! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/guess-what-modification-i-made-today-and-win-a-prize-2961.html)

BumblingB 09-17-2006 01:24 PM

Guess what modification I made today & win a prize!

OK, I decided to play a guessing game.

Today I did a modifacation to my Metro. I doubt very seriously that it will help my mileage too much though. However if the car behind me is drafting they may see benefits just from my little Metro being in front of them. You never know, stranger things have happened.

I will ONLY reveal this modification with the blessing of Matt as it may be a trade secret and then we all go to jail, I don't want that to happen. So we'll have to see if he approves of this mod, if not I fully understand.

Matt Timion 09-17-2006 01:29 PM

My name is Matt Timion, and I approve of this message :)

BumblingB 09-17-2006 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
My name is Matt Timion, and I approve of this message :)

EXCELLENT! Let the game begin!!!!

SVOboy 09-17-2006 01:39 PM

Is it a partial boattail?

BumblingB 09-17-2006 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Is it a partial boattail?

Nope, smaller & lighter.

ketel0ne 09-17-2006 02:18 PM

rear diffuser under the gas tank and bumper?

BumblingB 09-17-2006 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ketel0ne
rear diffuser under the gas tank and bumper?

Nope, still even lighter and smaller.

Guesses:
partial boattail
rear diffuser

Clues:
Small
Light
possibly no mileage gain for me (maybe) but could net huge gains for who ever is following close enough

ketel0ne 09-17-2006 02:54 PM

Is it a gassavers.org bumper sticker?

GasSavers_Jack 09-17-2006 03:27 PM

Quote:

Crap that was my guess!!!!!

lindermant 09-17-2006 04:31 PM

some sort of electronic display showing your instantaneous MPG readout to folks riding your bumper?

kickflipjr 09-17-2006 04:55 PM

^
That would be awesome.

BumblingB 09-17-2006 05:03 PM

Now what would make you guess that? You know there is no such thing as a GasSaver.Org bumper sticker...........or IS THERE???? ketel0ne YOU are the winner!!! Did Matt tell you or did you do your research and notice on my first post that I mentioned I did up some custom stickers for my Insight? Anyhoo, ketel0ne, you are the winner BUT......since Jack did say that was his guess as well and I haven't been back online he gets a prize too!! The prize you ask??? Your VERY own GasSavers.Org bumper sticker to tie you over until Matt can sell you one once his order comes in. These are limited edition and you two will be the only two to have one besides my Metro and Insight. ketel0ne/Jack - PM me and I'll get you set up where you'll be styling by next weekend. :D Perfect for covering up dents too.....:o

Quote:

ketel0ne 09-17-2006 05:24 PM

I reread the wording of your post, and figured unless you added a semi trailer to the back of your geo the best other thing for the guy behind you would be a gassavers sticker.

SVOboy 09-17-2006 05:55 PM

Gimme gimme!!

BumblingB 09-17-2006 06:05 PM

Quote:

I reread the wording of your post, and figured unless you added a semi trailer to the back of your geo the best other thing for the guy behind you would be a gassavers sticker.

That's some good thinking. ketelOne ;) My next clue would of been "Most teens modify their cars this way for performance but it only essentially has a placebo effect. My modifaction has been tweaked to suit ME."

SVOboy - I'd love nothing more than to hook you up with one but it really wouldn't be fair to Matt. I know that sounds mean but it's only a matter of time before Matt can hook you up with one. If his deal does fall through for some unforseen reason I can get him to the right people to make a mass purchase. For the most part I do small custom "one off" stuff - maybe tomorrow I'll add one of my OEM look-a-like stickers to the garage of Wazabi. You'll like it a lot - I'm sure of that - even if it is hybrid related. :D

BEN_EJ8 09-17-2006 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wazabi Owner
"Most teens modify their cars this way for performance but it only essentially has a placebo effect. My modifaction has been tweaked to suit ME."

Youre not talking about those circular "speed" holes are you?

GasSavers_Jack 09-17-2006 06:17 PM

Don't worry I am still SO buyin an offical bumper sticker too when Matt gets them up for sale.

ketel0ne 09-17-2006 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack
Don't worry I am still SO buyin an offical bumper sticker too when Matt gets them up for sale.

Me TOO!!!

BumblingB 09-17-2006 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEN_EJ8
Youre not talking about those circular "speed" holes are you?

No, I was talking about the stickers. I actually used to do that too when I was a kid, but I ONLY put on the stickers for what I was running. Edelbrock, Holley, Speed Pro, Cherry Bomb etc. The only sticker I left off was NOS - this was 20 years ago and my dad wouldn't let me run my NOS (Nitrous Oxide Systems - NOT NNOOOSSSSS - crack on Fast & Furious). He knew I would disintegrate my engine if I did that, I had it but I had $3000 in my engine in a $2000 car in high school. I got about 6MPG back then, my how times have changed.

Now the kids have gone overboard on stickers. Kind of funny.

BumblingB 09-17-2006 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindermant
some sort of electronic display showing your instantaneous MPG readout to folks riding your bumper?

I would love to do that but I think that would only make people mad. I've really been pondering getting the LED license plate frame that has a readout. I was behind some dude the other day that said "Ladies - For a good time call XXX-XXX-XXXX". I had to beat my wife with a sack of oranges when she started to call it. Just kidding, she didn't call it - and I didn't beat her. :D

ketelOne - Jack Kudos to you for still getting a REAL GasSavers.Org sticker when they are offically released.

BEN_EJ8 09-17-2006 06:30 PM

Oh ok. I know this is off topic, but has anybody ever tried putting holes in their back bumper to reduce drag, and theoretically raise FE?

kickflipjr 09-17-2006 08:13 PM

Yes. I think most of us prefer to not cut giant holes in our bumpers. If a bumper is poorly designed it will catch the air. The holes let air out. A better solution is to make a rear belly pan to fill in the gaps.

lindermant 09-18-2006 03:52 AM

Quote:

I would love to do that but I think that would only make people mad. I've really been pondering getting the LED license plate frame that has a readout. I was behind some dude the other day that said "Ladies - For a good time call XXX-XXX-XXXX". I had to beat my wife with a sack of oranges when she started to call it. Just kidding, she didn't call it - and I didn't beat her. :D

too funny :D

Ted Hart 09-18-2006 07:12 AM

Holes in the back bumper?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEN_EJ8
Oh ok. I know this is off topic, but has anybody ever tried putting holes in their back bumper to reduce drag, and theoretically raise FE?

Hi! Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there A CAR in front of your "holes in back bumper" idea? :eek: Or... do you drive very fast in reverse gear? :cool:

Matt Timion 09-18-2006 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted Hart
Hi! Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there A CAR in front of your "holes in back bumper" idea? :eek: Or... do you drive very fast in reverse gear? :cool:

Actually air travels UNDER the car as well. In some designs the bumper acts like a sail and holds back the back a little bit.

This is the exact reason you'll notice race cars with holes in the bumper.

GasSavers_DaX 09-18-2006 09:17 AM

Hurry up Matt, I want my sticker!!!! //end jealous rage

JanGeo 09-18-2006 10:45 AM

I wonder if the air trapped under the car at the rear bumper becomes the bubble that forms in the back of a pickup truck and doesn't really make a lot of drag. I would think that a thin plastic bumper/ground effect like the rear of my xB would bend backwards like crazy if exposed to 60-80 mpg wind all the time . . . I got the feeling that it traps air and pushes it out the sides through the rear wheel wells. I am also trying to figure out how I can make the front bumper rounder and blend into the front wheel area more smoothly to see if that would affect FE. Right now it turns inward with a negative radius and then flips outward just in front of the wheel well - making it round and wider than the wheels would push the air right past the tires an dmaybe reduce some drag.

Sludgy 09-18-2006 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanGeo
I wonder if the air trapped under the car at the rear bumper becomes the bubble that forms in the back of a pickup truck and doesn't really make a lot of drag. I would think that a thin plastic bumper/ground effect like the rear of my xB would bend backwards like crazy if exposed to 60-80 mpg wind all the time . . . I got the feeling that it traps air and pushes it out the sides through the rear wheel wells. I am also trying to figure out how I can make the front bumper rounder and blend into the front wheel area more smoothly to see if that would affect FE. Right now it turns inward with a negative radius and then flips outward just in front of the wheel well - making it round and wider than the wheels would push the air right past the tires an dmaybe reduce some drag.

Jan, I'm fascinated by the xB. It has 45" of legroom, which is one of the two reasons that I drive a full size pickup truck.

The other reason for needing a pickup is that I go off road quite a bit, and I need ground clearance. I had a Toyota Matrix 4wd, and I kept losing plastic bits off road. The Matrix had a cramped seat and no legroom. It killed my back and legs.

Are the xB spoilers on the front and rear bumpers and on the rocker panel covers removable? It would have a lot more ground clearance without them.

Better yet, I wish Toyota would install the Matrix 4wd system with taller springs and no spoilers, and make the xB off-road capable.

JanGeo 09-18-2006 12:48 PM

NOPE ! the engine in the xB is pretty tall and it has about 5.9" of ground clearance on some really stiff springs and the other problem is that the wheels are at the very ends of the vehicle front and rear so you don't grind the front or rear air dams but the undercarriage will take a beating on uneven ground. Usually I can lay on the ground and reach under the vehicles I have owned and at least get to the engine drain plug for the oil change not so with this beast - can barely get my head under it to look at anything - even the floor jack has to be pumped in the front wheel well until the body get high enough to fit under the driver side door when jacking up the front end at the jack point. There are coils over shocks front and rear so maybe a lifting kit could raise it but it would be tough on the front axles as they are different lengths also. Actually it has really high seats - a friend of mine was having to hold on to the grab handle above the door and the door arm rest on turns in the front seat then I realized that his feet were barely touching the floor. The back seat however is like a limo.

BumblingB 09-18-2006 04:57 PM

I take my Matrix offroad everyday. A disavantage of living in the country. The most damage I've gotten is from curbs - the oh so cool aftermarket styling of the '03-'04's takes some getting used to since its so low.

I don't think it's too cramped once you get the seat adjusted, I like the option to raise it or lower it. My wife doesn't like it and does mention it is cramped to her.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sludgy
The other reason for needing a pickup is that I go off road quite a bit, and I need ground clearance. I had a Toyota Matrix 4wd, and I kept losing plastic bits off road. The Matrix had a cramped seat and no legroom. It killed my back and legs.

Better yet, I wish Toyota would install the Matrix 4wd system with taller springs and no spoilers, and make the xB off-road capable.

ketel0ne 09-19-2006 07:30 PM

Quote:

ketelOne - Jack Kudos to you for still getting a REAL GasSavers.Org sticker when they are offically released.

https://cgi.ebay.com/Electronic-Messa...QQcmdZViewItem at 37" wide this and an inverter and you are in business.

But this one is much cooler. :)

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLUE-...28184540QQrdZ1

zpiloto 09-20-2006 05:24 AM

That's way cool:cool: :cool:

ketel0ne 09-20-2006 10:03 AM

Output of scangauge to the led display for the cars behind you to see mpg in realtime too. :)

BumblingB 09-20-2006 06:26 PM

That 37" one is almost perfect for the back of my Insight. I have the rear glass in the very back of the hatch level with the cargo floor. Actually that is my dogs favorite place. She lies down back there and watches the all the cars lined up behind us. (I'm sort of kidding, I try not to hold up traffic - at least to a degree - I won't let them push me too much)

Bunger 09-20-2006 09:47 PM

Quote:

I would love to beat my wife with a sack of oranges.

Sorry... couldn't help myself... =) I used only the delete key =) (well except for this message... in which I've used many more)

BumblingB 09-21-2006 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunger
Sorry... couldn't help myself... =) I used only the delete key =) (well except for this message... in which I've used many more)

You had me scratching my head on that one trying to think back when I said that and then it hit me. (now don't fix that qoute either) :eek:

JanGeo 09-21-2006 05:29 PM

Hey is the post number opposite the posting date above the post in the blue gray gradient tint line new or what?