Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   What kind of car protection do you have that prevents getting your car stolen? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/what-kind-of-car-protection-do-you-have-that-prevents-getting-your-car-stolen-3032.html)

krousdb 10-24-2006 05:03 PM

I don't wash it and let the rust spots speak for themselves. I could leave the keys in the car with a neon "steal me" sign and no one would take it.

Spule 4 10-24-2006 05:22 PM

My brother had a nice coupe that was broken into all the time. I had a Volvo 245 full of junk and tools that was unlocked that was never messed with, even with public housing behind us......glad to not live in a city anymore.

DRW 10-24-2006 06:25 PM

My car looks old and decrepit. It has faded paint and a noticeable but small dent near the drivers door. The interior is partially stripped, there's a big old cassette player in the dash and I always leave a tape in it so it's visible to prying eyes. I even leave a cassette case in view in the center console- it has a big neon orange star shaped sticker on it that says,'SPECIAL $1.99!' I got it at a truck stop, most gang-bangers in the city won't break into a car for an old country-western tape!

And I never leave anything valuable in the car. I knew a guy who had his car broken into and all that was taken was a soccer ball.

Spule 4 10-24-2006 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRW
And I never leave anything valuable in the car. I knew a guy who had his car broken into and all that was taken was a soccer ball.

As above, sometime best not to lock the car, my father's office was this way 15 or so years ago, the security folks said it was best, leave it unlocked, let them look and move on....otherwise you were replacing glass.

Ted Hart 11-08-2006 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
I was thinking of getting the Autolock and placing that on my clutch. Without the clutch being depressed the car won't start.

I currently have an alarm with ignition disable.

-What do you currently have that prevents others from stealing your car???

-And what are your future plans to install something that prevents your car from getting stolen?

I have tried alarm systems, locks of one sort or another, decals, park away from other cars (for exposure), etc., etc.
The absolutely best thing I have ever found is a decal which states :"Insured by Smith & Wesson"! There are two on my 'Vette (one on each side), and one on my person ( a Smith & Wesson...not no dam* decal!). :D

Silveredwings 11-09-2006 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted Hart
I have tried alarm systems, locks of one sort or another, decals, park away from other cars (for exposure), etc., etc.
The absolutely best thing I have ever found is a decal which states :"Insured by Smith & Wesson"! There are two on my 'Vette (one on each side), and one on my person ( a Smith & Wesson...not no dam* decal!). :D

The only car I ever had stolen (or broken into for that matter) had an NRA sticker on it. :(

onegammyleg 11-09-2006 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silveredwings
The only car I ever had stolen (or broken into for that matter) had an NRA sticker on it. :(

Yes ,thats a waste of time , criminals have bigger guns.

https://images.epilogue.net/users/meg...igger-guns.jpg

repete86 11-09-2006 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
I was thinking of getting the Autolock and placing that on my clutch. Without the clutch being depressed the car won't start.

I currently have an alarm with ignition disable.

-What do you currently have that prevents others from stealing your car???

-And what are your future plans to install something that prevents your car from getting stolen?

The best thing that I have to keep it from getting stolen is the fact that it's a 1993 Honda Accord in a no crime area. I don't lock the doors, and sometimes I leave the keys in the ignition. I'm not too worried about it.

Silveredwings 11-10-2006 05:12 AM

Ah, the famous trunk monkey! :)