Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Bunger is the new #1 (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/bunger-is-the-new-1-a-3110.html)

kickflipjr 10-07-2006 05:01 PM

Bunger is the new #1

He just sneaked up there and stole the crown. I hope you keep up with the good work :thumbup:

Compaq888 10-07-2006 05:03 PM

I posted it in the other thread but nobody paid any attention to that.

MetroMPG 10-07-2006 06:26 PM

Repost: (makes more sense to put it here)

Nice work, Bunger! What the heck are you doing? Let's hear about your typical routes & techniques. And any mods not yet updated in your garage.

No 90 mpg tanks from me this year. I think that 80.x was my 2006 record. Falling temps are taking their toll around here...

Though if I just hold off for a while and let another tank drop off my 90-day avg. before I fill up again... :D

kickflipjr 10-07-2006 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
I posted it in the other thread but nobody paid any attention to that.

I thought it was worthy of its own thread.

Compaq888 10-07-2006 06:49 PM

I fixed everything on my car but there is no way i could get a 70+mpg tank. of course unless I drive 25mph in 5th gear. Which is not possible in the big city where I live.

Compaq888 10-07-2006 06:51 PM

I'm sure once he does some aero mods he'll put a good distance between #2, whoever that will be.

Matt Timion 10-07-2006 07:47 PM

Quote:

I fixed everything on my car but there is no way i could get a 70+mpg tank. of course unless I drive 25mph in 5th gear. Which is not possible in the big city where I live.

Cool... what does this have to do with Bunger?

diamondlarry 10-07-2006 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Cool... what does this have to do with Bunger?

Bunger envy?:p Maybe he has a Super MID.:D

Matt Timion 10-07-2006 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondlarry
Bunger envy?:p Maybe he has a Super MID.:D

Nah, compaq says you don't need instrumentation in order to get good MPG.

diamondlarry 10-07-2006 08:06 PM

Hmm, as much as I want to conmment, I think I'll leave that one alone.;)
Anyway, if you are listening Bunger, details, we need details!:) Nice work!

Matt Timion 10-07-2006 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondlarry
Anyway, if you are listening Bunger, details, we need details!:) Nice work!

Agreed...

unfortunately, getting ahold of Bunger is next to impossible.

Compaq888 10-07-2006 08:15 PM

Quote:

Nah, compaq says you don't need instrumentation in order to get good MPG.

No I don't need instrumentation to tell me that I'm going poop slow and other drivers are honking at me.

Somebody send bunger a PM!!!!!

rh77 10-07-2006 08:30 PM

OK, dude.

Quote:

No I don't need instrumentation to tell me that I'm going poop slow and other drivers are honking at me.

Somebody send bunger a PM!!!!!

C-888: it's been a while, but WTF? Because you don't want to try to get better gas mileage, or you feel you're stuck in a vehicle-dense locale doesn't mean should come in here and tear schtuff up.

Examine your last 15 posts and see if they (1) Are polite or have tact if something is perceived as incorrect (2) Contain a generous dose of hubris and serious over-conifidence, and (3) Offer advice to improve FE.

You have a great car, I've had one like it -- don't you see the FE potential, or are you exposed to horsepower, nitrous, and midnight street racing that is clouding the issue?

We're not the ones honking at you when you're going slow. Please show some respect.

RH77

Compaq888 10-07-2006 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77
C-888: it's been a while, but WTF? Because you don't want to try to get better gas mileage, or you feel you're stuck in a vehicle-dense locale doesn't mean should come in here and tear schtuff up.

Examine your last 15 posts and see if they (1) Are polite or have tact if something is perceived as incorrect (2) Contain a generous dose of hubris and serious over-conifidence, and (3) Offer advice to improve FE.

You have a great car, I've had one like it -- don't you see the FE potential, or are you exposed to horsepower, nitrous, and midnight street racing that is clouding the issue?

We're not the ones honking at you when you're going slow. Please show some respect.

RH77

Sorry the stress and and me being sick is sucking my attitude down.

I see the potential but I have a hard time adapting to the stick and drivers over here aren't helping me. I'll try to get some better numbers to show that I care about you guys.

rh77 10-07-2006 11:19 PM

Care

Quote:

Sorry the stress and and me being sick is sucking my attitude down.

I see the potential but I have a hard time adapting to the stick and drivers over here aren't helping me. I'll try to get some better numbers to show that I care about you guys.

We know you're here because you care -- we don't need numbers to show it. Get to feeling better too -- that doesn't help with patience and driving.

If you're not familiar with the stick-shift, I agree that it's awkward, but you'll get used to it.

You live in an area with one of the most crowded roadways. I've worked in LA a LOT and can sympathize with the traffic situation. Getting stuck on the 101 for a couple of hours isn't one my favorite driving memories. Being a frustrated driver is understandable in that area.

I had to change my driving style drastically to get into the "zone". It won't happen overnight. The next time you get in your car, just try one FE driving technique and build from there. Doing them all at once is overwhelming and will certainly lead to frustration.

But man, just do your best and take it a step at a time. As for other traffic, just find a slow vehicle and get behind it -- now it's their fault for driving slower and you're off the hook.

Take it easy...

RH77

Compaq888 10-08-2006 02:16 AM

Quote:

We know you're here because you care -- we don't need numbers to show it. Get to feeling better too -- that doesn't help with patience and driving.

If you're not familiar with the stick-shift, I agree that it's awkward, but you'll get used to it.

You live in an area with one of the most crowded roadways. I've worked in LA a LOT and can sympathize with the traffic situation. Getting stuck on the 101 for a couple of hours isn't one my favorite driving memories. Being a frustrated driver is understandable in that area.

I had to change my driving style drastically to get into the "zone". It won't happen overnight. The next time you get in your car, just try one FE driving technique and build from there. Doing them all at once is overwhelming and will certainly lead to frustration.

But man, just do your best and take it a step at a time. As for other traffic, just find a slow vehicle and get behind it -- now it's their fault for driving slower and you're off the hook.

Take it easy...

RH77

Living in an area where all people are bunched up is overwhelming. It's not just the driving.

The only things I'm doing for FE is just trying to get into 5th ASAP and slow accelaration. Turning off the engine in neutral doesn't work half the time and it only gave me a 1mpg advantage, which isn't worth it.

I'd really like to know what instrumentation bunger is using.

kickflipjr 10-08-2006 05:09 AM

I understand...

When I am doing hardcore city driving I just about give up with FE. There is only so much you can do when you are in gridlock or hitting a light ever 2 blocks.

rh77 10-08-2006 06:47 AM

I agree, rough business

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickflipjr
I understand...

When I am doing hardcore city driving I just about give up with FE. There is only so much you can do when you are in gridlock or hitting a light ever 2 blocks.

I agree -- when you keep hitting those lights it's a real downer. But at the same time, I just CODFISH in the 'Teg when I see the yellow and fire it back up when the other roadway has the yellow or slow down enough to let it turn green again. Now gridlock on the highway just sucks -- the fuel ;) Honestly, there are some crazy hypermiling techniques in that situation, but I haven't tried them, and don't really know their effectiveness.

C-888: regarding acceleration -- someone mentioned recently to ease into 1st gear and gently give it enough to get in the 2000-3000 RPM area before you shift. Then in 2nd+ gears, give it 2/3 throttle and shift around 3000. This gets you up to speed with traffic and it's actually efficient if you get into 5th quickly and modulate the throttle. I know you probably don't have a tach, but if you have the owner's manual, it goes over different shift points using the speedometer. With my automatic, it's been tough to keep it in the sweet-spot without it downshifting (argh). I wish I had a stick...

RH77

Compaq888 10-08-2006 11:49 AM

Quote:

I agree -- when you keep hitting those lights it's a real downer. But at the same time, I just CODFISH in the 'Teg when I see the yellow and fire it back up when the other roadway has the yellow or slow down enough to let it turn green again. Now gridlock on the highway just sucks -- the fuel ;) Honestly, there are some crazy hypermiling techniques in that situation, but I haven't tried them, and don't really know their effectiveness.

C-888: regarding acceleration -- someone mentioned recently to ease into 1st gear and gently give it enough to get in the 2000-3000 RPM area before you shift. Then in 2nd+ gears, give it 2/3 throttle and shift around 3000. This gets you up to speed with traffic and it's actually efficient if you get into 5th quickly and modulate the throttle. I know you probably don't have a tach, but if you have the owner's manual, it goes over different shift points using the speedometer. With my automatic, it's been tough to keep it in the sweet-spot without it downshifting (argh). I wish I had a stick...

RH77

3000rpm???

My car doesn't even see half of that. I shift 1200-1300rpm in every gear. The only time I go over 1300rpm is if I'm in 5th gear.

Even when I didn't care about fuel economy I shifted at 1900rpm. 3000rpm is practically racing on the streets.

philmcneal 10-08-2006 11:50 AM

living in the city enviroment I just said to myself, "**** yall, I dare you, NO I DOUBLE DARE YOU MOTHER****ER. RAM ME RIGHT NOW BECAUSE DADDY NEEDS A NEW CAR!" (then i turn my music up to zone out those around me) and if they pass I make sure nothing is in front of me for a long time and give them the nastiest look ever. You think you can look at me nasty I'll give you something to speed up about... *****!

works everytime ;) sometimes i swerve left and right to pretend like I"m drunk and then they'll give me all the car space I want :D

cops pull me over? i wasn't drinking sir, give me a test!

seriously you want agressiveness? this is the next generation of aggressiveness.... except I'm just saving fuel in the process :)

Compaq888 10-08-2006 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philmcneal
living in the city enviroment I just said to myself, "**** yall, I dare you, NO I DOUBLE DARE YOU MOTHER****ER. RAM ME RIGHT NOW BECAUSE DADDY NEEDS A NEW CAR!" (then i turn my music up to zone out those around me) and if they pass I make sure nothing is in front of me for a long time and give them the nastiest look ever. You think you can look at me nasty I'll give you something to speed up about... *****!

works everytime ;) sometimes i swerve left and right to pretend like I"m drunk and then they'll give me all the car space I want :D

cops pull me over? i wasn't drinking sir, give me a test!

seriously you want agressiveness? this is the next generation of aggressiveness.... except I'm just saving fuel in the process :)

Actually if the cop pulls you over and thinks you're drunk he's going to waste a lot of your time. When a cop asks you if you had anything to drink just say you're sleepy. A drunk person and sleepy person has a lot of characteristics in common. Of course a sleepy person isn't going to run from the police unless they have a good reason.

Once you tell them you're sleepy they will leave you alone.

I learned this from traffic school. They actually put together drunk people and sleepy people and put them on a test course. The responses were super funny from drunk people. Sleepy people were like whatever when they ran over something.

The Toecutter 10-08-2006 12:18 PM

Quote:

I look for the potential for excelling in all of the above in the same car.

I very badly want a streamlined race car that not only can kill Ferraris, but gets good efficiency(80+ mpg equivalent).

Matt Timion 10-08-2006 12:32 PM

Quote:

Actually if the cop pulls you over and thinks you're drunk he's going to waste a lot of your time. When a cop asks you if you had anything to drink just say you're sleepy. A drunk person and sleepy person has a lot of characteristics in common. Of course a sleepy person isn't going to run from the police unless they have a good reason.

Once you tell them you're sleepy they will leave you alone.

I learned this from traffic school. They actually put together drunk people and sleepy people and put them on a test course. The responses were super funny from drunk people. Sleepy people were like whatever when they ran over something.

Believe it or not, you can get arrested for driving while tired.

JanGeo 10-08-2006 12:58 PM

Control your acceleration by shifting later (higher rpm) for faster acceleration or earlier (lower rpm) for slower acceleration while giving it heavy throttle to keep the pumping losses down. Avoid rapid starts and stops in heavy traffic because it just pisses off the guys behind you and if they start honking their horn wave them around so you get them in front of you so you can watch the accident they cause with a clear view. You should practice a few fast accelerations from a stop to get a better feel for taking off and also a few takeoffs without using any gas plus holding it on a hill without gas if your idle is high enough and a little heal toe work is helpful (gas and brake with the right foot) unless you have a center console hand brake - I use that a lot on uphill starts so to protect the rear ground effects on my xB because most of the time the jerk behind me is right on my bumper and I don't want to roll back into him.

Compaq888 10-08-2006 04:18 PM

Quote:

Believe it or not, you can get arrested for driving while tired.

ROFLMAO, that is the funniest thing I ever read.

Compaq888 10-08-2006 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanGeo
Control your acceleration by shifting later (higher rpm) for faster acceleration or earlier (lower rpm) for slower acceleration while giving it heavy throttle to keep the pumping losses down. Avoid rapid starts and stops in heavy traffic because it just pisses off the guys behind you and if they start honking their horn wave them around so you get them in front of you so you can watch the accident they cause with a clear view. You should practice a few fast accelerations from a stop to get a better feel for taking off and also a few takeoffs without using any gas plus holding it on a hill without gas if your idle is high enough and a little heal toe work is helpful (gas and brake with the right foot) unless you have a center console hand brake - I use that a lot on uphill starts so to protect the rear ground effects on my xB because most of the time the jerk behind me is right on my bumper and I don't want to roll back into him.

So press the gas harder but still shift sooner??? That's pretty much what i have been doing. before it didn't work so good because when I would go in second my car would bog like crazy because of my dirty Throttle body. There were a lot of close calls. Other cars almost touched my rear bumper when I went into 2nd.

I don't even parallel park, even on a lever surface. I still can't get the feel for the engagement point. Forget about parking on a hill. I'd rather park the car on some level place and walk half a mile.

rh77 10-08-2006 04:28 PM

Study Shows...

Quote:

ROFLMAO, that is the funniest thing I ever read.

A UK TV program (Fifth Gear -- darn I miss that show) did an impromtu test on Legally Intoxicated Drivers and Sleepy Drivers (with a control group of normal drivers). It turns out that the driver who lacked rest drove as bad, on the average, as the drunk driver group avg. Of course there's variability in tiredness and intoxication, but it really showed the danger of sleepy drivers.

Other studies in more controlled environments show this again and again. So yes, it's reasonable to get a ticket for inattentive driving when you're too sleepy.

RH77

MetroMPG 10-16-2006 03:02 PM

Bump!

Where the heck is Bunger, anyway? Isn't it bad hypermiler etiquette to steal the top of the charts and not provide some commentary about it?!

Bunger 09-19-2007 12:49 PM

I didn't even know this thread existed. So I was #1 for a while eh?

ELF 09-19-2007 06:11 PM

Lol! here he is 11 months later.