Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Lets Lean the motor 50 degrees on rich side of peak EGT (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/lets-lean-the-motor-50-degrees-on-rich-side-of-peak-egt-3168.html)

Possum on brick 10-17-2006 08:15 AM

Lets Lean the motor 50 degrees on rich side of peak EGT

I think some one should make some hardware so a driver could lean his engine just like pistion engine airplane pilot does. At cruse flight it is common practice to lean the airplane engine 50 degrees on the rich side of peak exhaust gas tempture EGT . Why dont some one make a little box some one could attach to the dash that in it there is a switch to turn off the Oxygen sender inputs and add by the way of a knob that turns where by telling the computer to lean. The driver could watch a EGT gague and listen and feel the engine start getting ruff all these are clues untill he leans his engine properly. Then install switch turning off the gasoline and turn on a natural gas injection system , forget the little black box idea its now also turned off, now by running on natural gas your car is running cleaner than a hybrid and that is good for the air we breath and if some one had acess to a gas well and could get some natural was from it and pump up some scuba tanks he could be running down the road free and even more important he could always do this no matter what happens at he gasoline pumps. Get ready for the world is shifting to natural gas as the large easy to get oil is going fast, its what the large oil companys need to find. There will still be plenty of oil but the cost will to be much more than natural gas the world is soon to shift to it. Russia has the largest gas reserves and Iraq has the 2nd largest. I can turn around from my lap top were I am writing this and look out the window of this jack-up drilling rig offshore west Africa and see a half a billion dollar natural gas offshore installation soon a large flare over there is going out and the gas will be pumped to Bonny close to Port Harcourt and compressed and chilled and made into a liquid . I have see large ships with what lookes like three large tanks coming out of the deck and on the side of the ship CNG.

JanGeo 10-17-2006 01:30 PM

Great idea but you are not allowed to change the air/fuel mixture because it affects the emissions and the operation of the cat which can be damaged with operating outside the recommended ratio.

zpiloto 10-17-2006 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher
Sensors and computer controls do a better job of it than 99.9999% of operators could anyway.

Agreed. Plus any change in rpm would require a change to the fuel mixture to keep it at the set value.

omgwtfbyobbq 10-17-2006 03:02 PM

Search engines can be PITAs! I found this
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Historically, the first widely-sold flexible-fuel vehicle in the United States was a variant of Henry Ford's Model T intended for use by self-reliant farmers who could make their own ethanol. Surprisingly, it is capable even to this day of running on E85, or gasoline, as it was designed to operate on either ethanol or gasoline, at the user's choice. Henry Ford's subsequent 1927 Model A likewise was an early flex fuel vehicle. It, however, eased the driver's method of accommodating various blends of ethanol and gasoline through a driver's control on the dash with a knob that was turned to control air fuel mixture and pulled to choke the single-barrel Zenith carburetor. This dash-mounted control provided easy control of all the major adjustments required for easily burning ethanol and gasoline in varying proportions, including enough range for burning today's E85 blend of ethanol and gasoline.

And hopefully I'll find something on that kit.

GasSavers_Ryland 10-17-2006 03:40 PM

our gravly walk behind tractor has a simaler Zenith carburator with a nob for adjusting the fuel air mix, it works ok, and it works best if you keep the engine at exactly the same speed, change that speed, and you have to re-adjust your fuel/air mix.
as far as free natural gas goes, the US is importing natural gas, and has been for many years, not just thru a pipe line from canada, but on cryo-tankers, because we can not pump enough natural gas out of the ground to meet our greed, if getting more was a matter of drilling a hole in the right place in the ground and getting free gas, then why wouldn't more people do it? natural gas, and propane are the ideal gasses to start your vehicle with, they are ideal for cold starting, because they burn cleaner, and more compleatly, there is no need to choke a natural gas powered engine when starting it, on a cold engine they produce less wear, and less polution then starting an engine cold on gasoline, really a hybrid natural gas/electric vehicle would be great for trips from a mile to a 100 miles (much longer and you need a larger tank).

onegammyleg 10-17-2006 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland
and propane are the ideal gasses

Ahhh .. propane , it burns so clean.

https://animatedtv.about.com/library/...stBBQ4Shot.jpg

Possum on brick 10-18-2006 12:58 AM

The Cat will go Ca-Plunk

The Cat will be cut off and throw in the trash if nessecary to be able to lean the computer that leans the injectors and if cutting off the cat causes a problem then tell me what is is so I can figure a way around it . Yes control the computer tell it with this little reostat knob that say the engine is too rich and let it make its many changes as one speeds up and slowes down, keep the computer running only control a part of it . I am not going to believe this cant be done and it should be the one piece of hardware that is so important and the center of attention of all the members here I would think. Also another thing I'am doing is building a moterized bicycle from some stuff from- Staton-inc.com- but making some changes on the output shaft of thier 18 to 1 gear box I'am adding a cluster of sprockets and a derailler so to have different speeds. And on thier roller drive design I'am adding a special small Comet tork converter to have different speeds as well. My bikes wont sound like a bumble bee. See Possum on brick "oweners fourm".

onegammyleg 10-18-2006 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Possum on brick
I'am adding a cluster of sprockets and a derailler so to have different speeds.

I doubt that will be successfull.
The chains used in most derailer type bike gear systems are very narrow , the cogs are also narrow.
It will work , but if you shift with power applied it will stretch the chain and tear the teeth out in no time.

omgwtfbyobbq 10-18-2006 03:13 AM

If you're running lean, there's no need to toss the cat, they only die under excessively rich conditions from what I've read. On some EFI systems, like older Toyotas, putting a pot inline with the THW fools the ECU into thinking the engine is cooler or warmer than it is, which provides a relatively sensative way to adjust fuel trim, as well as idle reinstatement. The problem with fiddling with most oxygen sensors to lean out the engine is their narrow operating range, ~01-V, and operating method, which is pretty much telling the engine if the mixture was rich or lean, so the engine is constantly adjusting load from rich to lean with the average being 14.7. Some newer oxygen sensors may allow for better fine tuning because they report a value to the ECU instead of bouncing around... But, neway, the coolant tmp sensor seems like the way to go because it has a range of ~0-5V depending on the value of the resistor in the ECU and is a steady output.

JanGeo 10-18-2006 03:31 AM

The air fuel ratio is where it is so the harmful emissions are low to keep the air we breath clean. You are undoing this by changing the air fuel ratio and poluting the air. If you can get to about 18 to 1 air fuel ratio you should notice a decrease in power but it should still run smoothly without misfiring and a slight increase in temperture and the highest gas mileage. In the 70's when I had my Rambler I adapted an SU carburator to the flathead 6 and ran the mixture really lean and got in the high 20's and low 30's for gas mileage. The SU used a single jet with needle, it is a constant velocity venturi design and the needle seat was the mixture control for the carb and was adjustable as well as the choke.