Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Cardboard box + duct tape = (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/cardboard-box-duct-tape-3176.html)

LxMike 10-18-2006 04:26 PM

Cardboard box + duct tape =

Grill block! :D

had the box to use for a rad block and still had plenty left over so an hour and a half later i have a crude grill block on "Lil Silver" now.

there still two small opening by the turn signals in middle and i'm hoping that maybe they will be enough. this is just a crude temp thingy to see if it'll help with getting up to temp and possibly run a lil warmer. I only have a 5.1 mile drive to work and it takes almost 2 miles till fully warm (180 range)

didn't have anything to use to fasten it so i folded some duct tape over onto itself and made my own ties and tied it off to the grill.

gonna carry flashlight, and box cutter in case i have to do some roadside mods. also i found i can turn ac on then off and fan will keep running. between that and the heater i will be fine.

The mods have started! :eek:

molecule 10-18-2006 04:35 PM

sweet...i cant wait to getting around to my 'necessary' modifications of aerodynamics
though i think i will skip the use of cardboard... :p

kickflipjr 10-18-2006 05:32 PM

It's a good time to put a grill block in because colder ait is on the way (Oh, I just saw you are from flordia. nevermind). It still helps in warm weather.

philmcneal 10-18-2006 11:10 PM

cardboard rocks, it took three rainy days to take my upper grille block down, and i still have the original bottom part! Whoo!

best of all its FREE

red91sit 10-19-2006 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philmcneal
cardboard rocks, it took three rainy days to take my upper grille block down, and i still have the original bottom part! Whoo!

best of all its FREE

Coroplast you guys! nearly the same weight, (probobly lighter than wet cardboard) and it lasts forever! I just got a MONSTER of a cigarette advertisement for my car :)

LxMike 10-19-2006 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red91sit
Coroplast you guys! nearly the same weight, (probobly lighter than wet cardboard) and it lasts forever! I just got a MONSTER of a cigarette advertisement for my car :)

if it work out with the cardboard then i'll end up using coroplast. especialy with the way it rains here in the summertime.

got caught behind some cars moving slow from a redlight and had to slow down whereas i usualy can make the light without slowing much. on way home seemed to warmup a bit quicker in slow speed driving (getting up to speed) and when i did get stopped and shut down on restart temp was a bit higher, but i'm gonna give it about a week or so of driving.

might end up having to use a partial rad block or underbelly pan between the bottom of the rad and the engine to get the full benefit.

LxMike 10-25-2006 07:49 AM

Most of my driving is a short 5 mile trip to and from work. car temp would be mid to low 180's and would climb a lil when stopped or slow moving.

today i went to the mall and got into some stop and go traffic and temp was nearly 220! that was a lil much so I turned heater on to get it down and found once moving about 30-35 mph was ok. the trip was about 10-15 miles.

I noticed that the instant mileage reading was showing a bit higher with the hotter temps and even the ait was showing higher too. temps here today are right around 70. air inlet temp was right around 90

those 5 mile work trips aren't getting the engine temp up, but not much else i can do. maybe block of the rad but then what about when i take longer trips??

zpiloto 10-25-2006 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LxMike
Most of my driving is a short 5 mile trip to and from work. car temp would be mid to low 180's and would climb a lil when stopped or slow moving.

today i went to the mall and got into some stop and go traffic and temp was nearly 220! that was a lil much so I turned heater on to get it down and found once moving about 30-35 mph was ok. the trip was about 10-15 miles.

I noticed that the instant mileage reading was showing a bit higher with the hotter temps and even the ait was showing higher too. temps here today are right around 70. air inlet temp was right around 90

those 5 mile work trips aren't getting the engine temp up, but not much else i can do. maybe block of the rad but then what about when i take longer trips??

You can get a block heater.:thumbup:

LincolnW 10-25-2006 01:17 PM

Check out the grill block that I just picked up! :D

https://www.fuelly.com/attachments/fo...56b499fa74.jpg

LxMike 10-25-2006 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zpiloto
You can get a block heater.:thumbup:

forgot about that! :o

i'm gonna have to climb under neath and see if i can find the core plugs or a place to put on against the block

90CivicStandard: how much you boosting??