Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Annoying trying to top off tank (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/annoying-trying-to-top-off-tank-3201.html)

lovemysan 10-24-2006 09:17 AM

Annoying trying to top off tank

Okay, when I fill up I normally don't top off. I go 3 clicks on the same pump facing same direction everytime. So the past few tanks I was out of town and filled up at 2 different places. So over the last three fill ups I slightly overfilled from the previous fill(to make sure my gaslog was honest). So I decide I'll top it off this last time because I'll be driving the fuel out of the filler neck.
Why you ask, do I do this. Because I can get all the bubbles out by rocking and bumping the car but it never seems to stop draining out. It will slowly drain the gas cap hole repeatedly. So I've done that in the past, fill till it does this 2 times. But I want better accuracy. Where is this fuel going? To the fuel vapor cannister? It is very slow to drain about 10-12 seconds to drain down to the flapper. I don't like filling this far unless I'll be driving it out because I don't know where its going. And I don't like wasting my money.

I think I may see if there is someway to install a shut off valve.

onegammyleg 10-24-2006 09:34 AM

This is a similar inacuracy that I noted on a previous post.

GasSavers_Brock 10-24-2006 10:20 AM

Ahh yes, you think it's bad with gasoline try doing that with diesel. It tends to foam, just like beer so it takes forever to let it settle down. But in our van I can get 3.2 gallons in after the filler will auto shutoff on the lowest setting. I also have rocked the van back and forth to get more fuel in there. I wish I could draw it but most newer fuel tanks have the filler neck leading to a hole about 9/10th of the way up the tank so there is a small trapped air space at the top of the tank. This also usually leads to a "vent" back up by the filler neck with a one way valve.

In any case I would suggest just filling up the same way each time. Also unless you see the fuel leak out it is just going in to the tank, likely working its way in to that air space.

onegammyleg 10-25-2006 02:47 AM

When I had my Diesel I had to slow down the flow from the pump for the last 1/4 of a tank so it wouldnt froth up and blow out all over my pants and shoes.,, and then ide fill the 2nd tank. GRR

lovemysan 10-25-2006 05:26 AM

I've driven diesel pickups for years. My last was a 91 dodge. It was easier to top off than this. I actually enjoyed topping it off. I would go to the same pump everytime, point the large end of the tank down hill, and then use this really slow filling pump.

I dream I install a 3-5 gallon fuel cell to eliminate the guessing. I'm going to look around my area for a gas pump mounted on a steep parking surface.

JanGeo 10-25-2006 05:35 AM

What is probably happening is the air pocket on the top of the tank is venting to the canister and allowing the fuel to drain down into the tank. Hey the alternative is worse . . . on one occaision I filled the tank and gas started expanding and running out of my tank - inserting the gas cap spilled even more out. My last topping the pump didn't shut off AGAIN and splash - all over my black shiny Armoralled tire. They even have warning signs on the pumps now to NOT TOP OFF! May be time to pump a little into a gas can and fill to the brim under more controlled conditions or get a filling spout like the race cars that seal into the 10 gallon can and vent back into it. I get about 1 more gallon into my tank after the first click so without doing that my range drops 10% . . . darn small gas tanks!!

lovemysan 10-25-2006 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanGeo
What is probably happening is the air pocket on the top of the tank is venting to the canister and allowing the fuel to drain down into the tank. Hey the alternative is worse . . . on one occaision I filled the tank and gas started expanding and running out of my tank - inserting the gas cap spilled even more out. My last topping the pump didn't shut off AGAIN and splash - all over my black shiny Armoralled tire. They even have warning signs on the pumps now to NOT TOP OFF! May be time to pump a little into a gas can and fill to the brim under more controlled conditions or get a filling spout like the race cars that seal into the 10 gallon can and vent back into it. I get about 1 more gallon into my tank after the first click so without doing that my range drops 10% . . . darn small gas tanks!!

I always stand far away from the splash circle with a paper towel wrapped around the pump handle. The gas cap door protects against splash out on your clothes. I learned all this by pumping diesel in my church clothes.

psyshack 10-25-2006 10:29 AM

WOW,,, didnt know folks have so much trouble topping off a tank. Both our Hondas and the Ranger are easy to top off. I dont set there and shake the car and burp it and so one. Thats what you do to babys,,, not cars.

Both the Hondas will take right at two more gallons after a pump click. Ranger is about the same. This is a gental fill right up to the top of the neck.

I stoped topping off this summer. In this area we are trying to stay off the EPA dirty air list with ozone alert days. So we dont have to get the messed up fuel blend or have vapor recovery systems on our pumps. Thus lowering our quality of life.

Now that we are firmly into fall I can start again with full top off.

Good luck

LincolnW 10-25-2006 01:11 PM

Here in Oregon we can't even pump our own gas.

It sucks because depending on who pumps your gas, some people top it off without you asking, and some don't. Because of this, I have been telling them to not top it off at all, just leave it be after the first click.

But I often fill up at different gas stations, so I'm sure my readings are off a bit anyways.

At least you guys can pump your own gas. lol

JanGeo 10-25-2006 03:31 PM

Usually I go an extra gallon from the first click but when filling slow it only took half a gallon and I was expecting at least 10 gallons to fill it. Well as it turns out I may not have filled it enough because it is down to 3/4 tank at 90 miles when it usually gets 130 miles if really full. The filler hose drops about 6 inches and then goes horizontal for 3 feet into the tank and it is a side vertical filler nozzle - would be nice if it was straight down - can't see the gas coming up as it is or even hear it on the noisy road at the last station I filled at. I only get out of town off the island on weekend to get the cheeper gas so every three weeks I try to get some and a half gallon to a gallon means that much more driving I can do before filling up. Time to make an overflow catch bottle I think. Usually I can run the pump really slow and stop it quickly - guess I need to stop spilling gas and rounding up to the next quarter dollar.