Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Support Our Troops Ribbon on a Huge SUV (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/support-our-troops-ribbon-on-a-huge-suv-3240.html)

GasSavers_roadrunner 10-30-2006 01:37 PM

Support Our Troops Ribbon on a Huge SUV

Does anyone else have an issue with seeing a SUPPORT OUR TROOPS ribbon on a huge SUV? IMO you cannot drive a huge SUV and really support the troops overseas. Aren't they over there so we can have an endless supply of oil in the USA? If you really support our troops, drive something more fuel efficient!

GasSavers_Jack 10-30-2006 02:43 PM

Now that you state it that way you kind of have a point there. But still there may be a reason that they are driving that thing (It is unlikely I know but possible)

Silveredwings 10-30-2006 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher
98% of the time they drive SUVs because they are pretentious asses.

C'mon, quit beatin' around the bush and tell us what you really think. ;)

It's either that or Americans are so brainwashed that they believe driving a bloated moron-mobile upholds some kind of national heritage.

After all the news today about impending global climate change, and hearing the BigOil counter FUD ("there's no definitive scientific proof, blah, blah..."), anyone can recognize they're using the same kind of denial tactics the tobacco industry successfully used for decades to deny there was any bad health effects from their products.

Silveredwings 10-30-2006 03:27 PM

Better yet, I want a ribbon that says

"Support ribbon magnet makers in China" :D

GasSavers_roadrunner 10-30-2006 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack
But still there may be a reason that they are driving that thing (It is unlikely I know but possible)

The woman who owns this Huge SUV, lives with her one daughter. She has no good reason, except she likes a huge vehicle to drive. Just like I live alone and like a small vehicle, my Yaris.:rolleyes:

Silveredwings 10-30-2006 03:43 PM

I guess to some people, size matters. ;)

CoyoteX 10-30-2006 04:29 PM

https://www.supportourribbons.com/e/39533.jpg
hehe

nonnef 10-30-2006 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silveredwings
Better yet, I want a ribbon that says

"Support ribbon magnet makers in China" :D

I'd buy one. Hell, maybe two. ;)

CoyoteX 10-30-2006 04:32 PM

https://images.cafepress.com/product/...x240_Front.jpg

that one is even better :)

Matt Timion 10-30-2006 05:45 PM

ROFL!

Compaq888 10-30-2006 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadrunner
The woman who owns this Huge SUV, lives with her one daughter. She has no good reason, except she likes a huge vehicle to drive. Just like I live alone and like a small vehicle, my Yaris.:rolleyes:

Is the woman good looking, is her daughter 18??
Maybe the woman bought the SUV for future use, maybe she wants a lot of children.

ROFL, I'm just blabbering.

GasSavers_Ryland 10-30-2006 08:02 PM

someone did a study a few years back as to peoples political veiws, and the type of vehicles that they drive, after hearing the person speek who did the study, it makes sence that people who drive SUV's would also suport a nations pollicy bullying and violence twards other.

The Toecutter 10-30-2006 09:11 PM

Quote:

I guess to some people, size matters.
Sounds like a classic case of penis envy.

onegammyleg 10-30-2006 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Sounds like a classic case of penis envy.

And women have that a lot. !

Compaq888 10-30-2006 09:35 PM

I've always said it doesn't matter how big it is. You just got to know how to use it right. This applies to a lot of things.

Matt Timion 10-30-2006 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
I've always said it doesn't matter how big it is. You just got to know how to use it right. This applies to a lot of things.

*hits head*

onegammyleg 10-30-2006 09:50 PM

These guys drive SUV's

https://files.myopera.com/fammcdon/al...e%20street.gif

cfg83 10-31-2006 08:26 AM

roadrunner -

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadrunner
Does anyone else have an issue with seeing a SUPPORT OUR TROOPS ribbon on a huge SUV? IMO you cannot drive a huge SUV and really support the troops overseas. Aren't they over there so we can have an endless supply of oil in the USA? If you really support our troops, drive something more fuel efficient!

Cognitive Dissonance is an amazing thing. Wikipedia time :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

Cognitive dissonance is the perception of incompatibility between two cognitions, which can be defined as any element of knowledge, including attitude, emotion, belief, or behavior; in laymen's terms, it is the uncomfortable tension that comes from holding two conflicting thoughts at the same time. The theory of cognitive dissonance states that contradicting cognitions serve as a driving force that compels the mind to acquire or invent new thoughts or beliefs, or to modify existing beliefs, so as to reduce the amount of dissonance (conflict) between cognitions. Experiments have attempted to quantify this hypothetical drive.

The theory of cognitive dissonance was first proposed by the psychologist Leon Festinger in 1956 after observing the counterintuitive belief persistence of members of a UFO doomsday cult and their increased proselytization after the leader's prophecy failed. The failed message of earth's destruction, sent by aliens to a suburban housewife in 1956, became a disconfirmed expectancy that increased dissonance between cognitions, thereby causing most members of the impromptu cult to lessen the dissonance by accepting a new prophecy; that the aliens had instead spared the planet for their sake.

They know not what they do, or choose not to.

I think anyone who really supports the troops should donate their heavy steel monstrosites to some kind of Iraq recycling fund. The troops can drive 'em or use them for barricades/scrap metal/cut 'em up for armor plating. There could be commercials that sound like the "donate your car" commercials.

CarloSW2

Silveredwings 10-31-2006 12:00 PM

I like it

GasSavers_roadrunner 10-31-2006 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83

I think anyone who really supports the troops should donate their heavy steel monstrosites to some kind of Iraq recycling fund. The troops can drive 'em or use them for barricades/scrap metal/cut 'em up for armor plating. There could be commercials that sound like the "donate your car" commercials.

CarloSW2

I too like it.........excellent! :cool:

Spule 4 10-31-2006 09:28 PM

Does a Merc ML55 AMG take the cake on this? Saw it right before Katrina last year. It had the "how many bodies for a barrel sticker".

Similar to a pro communist bumpersticker I saw on an S Class once years ago?

Spule 4 10-31-2006 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher
98% of those displaying those stupid yellow ribbons are brainless ideologues who refuse to acknowledge the facts. The other 2% probably have family that was in the service prior to the Iraq invasion but for some reason feel compelled to tell the public to simply ignore the facts so that they can feel better about it.

You are not implying jingosim are you? I thought that was un-American right now <wink>.

The real value of these is the magnet versions will do a real number to your paint jobs apparently.

The Toecutter 10-31-2006 11:53 PM

Quote:

Yup, that's pretty much it except I don't know how it can be in our national interests to be energy and resource pigs.
It's certainly in the interests of our overbloated government and our corporations, both hell-bent on maximizing consumer spending, taxes, economic growth, control over the individual, and profit, at all costs, even if it entails oil wars, loss of civil liberties, or outright ecocide.

Silveredwings 11-01-2006 02:40 AM

Quote:

It's certainly in the interests of our overbloated government and our corporations, both hell-bent on maximizing consumer spending, taxes, economic growth, control over the individual, and profit, at all costs, even if it entails oil wars, loss of civil liberties, or outright ecocide.

Except it's economic growth only for the chosen industries. :thumbdown: :mad:

LincolnW 11-01-2006 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland
someone did a study a few years back as to peoples political veiws, and the type of vehicles that they drive, after hearing the person speek who did the study, it makes sence that people who drive SUV's would also suport a nations pollicy bullying and violence twards other.

Really?

That's interesting.

Silveredwings 11-01-2006 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90CivicStandard
Really?

That's interesting.

That's certainly consistent with what I've seen over the years in threads where SUV fans debate the validity of SUV waste against people who think otherwise. Unless the SUV owner legitimized their use, for example as occasional off-road where no other vehicle would fill the bill, they invariably ended up losing their own arguments and resorted to threats, saying something like "Well y'all better stay outta my way or ah'll jes drive my 4-BY-4 over yer effing little rice boxes." It seemed they almost universally showed off their true colors as wannabe bullys.

Ted Hart 11-08-2006 06:17 AM

Quote:

Yes, yes, yes! But the underlying ( I love the "lying" part...) reason for all this madness is the consumer! (S)he swallows all this garbage as gospel...and spends that "disposable" cash for trash & tripe! To buy, to want, to keep up with....
Then..."Did you vote?" Me? I vote "No" every time! LOL!

red91sit 11-16-2006 01:08 PM

Gotta buy big domestic SUV's, i mean after all their domestics right? If you told people you bought your Honda, Toyota, Nissan, to support the U.S. no one would believe you (except car maker CEO's) Just like no one believes their Big 3 car is made in Mexico or Canada, when all it takes is reading the production sticker a bit closer.

I dream of a day all americans can read, AND comprehend! Or atleast more than half, heck I"d be happy with 20%.

Ted Hart 11-22-2006 01:11 PM

Ah! It's all THEIR fault!

I have this wonderful idea.... To Hedouble hockey sticks with 'em! Life's too short to fight / worry about all the morons in this world! The supply is endless!
Life is so short (especially when you've seen so much of it!)....:cool: