Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   ZX2 Front Fender Skirts Completed and Results. 3/15/07 (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/zx2-front-fender-skirts-completed-and-results-3-15-07-a-3315.html)

BeeUU 03-16-2007 06:45 AM

Looks nice. Glad to hear you have noticable results.

Matt Timion 03-16-2007 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO ZX2 (Post 44054)
Matt. I have spent considerable time on this project because I believed in it. It has proved to me to be a worthwhile investment of that time. I will be happy to provide more details.

However, I would like to modify the name of the thread (Colorado ZX2) to:
ZX2 Front Fender Skirts Completed and Results. 3/15/07

This new name would give a more accurate description of the content. I probably shouldn't have integrated this project into my Introduction in the first place, not exactly the best place for a tech project.

This thread has been around so long, I wonder if there are those who think they have seen it too many times already. Therefore, they don't bother to look at additions or updates.

Can you assist me with this change? I am not a computer whiz and all I have been able to change is the title within the thread. Thanks CO ZX2

Unsure who helped with the title change, but in the future it would be best to start a NEW thread instead of modifying and old one.

This thread was your introduction. Now it is a project thread. Also, when thread titles are changed it affects google's ability to properly index the page.

CO ZX2 03-16-2007 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion (Post 44070)
Unsure who helped with the title change, but in the future it would be best to start a NEW thread instead of modifying and old one.

This thread was your introduction. Now it is a project thread. Also, when thread titles are changed it affects google's ability to properly index the page.

Sorry, Matt. But I did address the reply to you.

Mighty Mira 11-07-2007 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO ZX2 (Post 44054)
I will be happy to provide more details.

Hi, I like how you've implemented the front wheel skirts. Could you give some details on the construction?

I'm thinking about using thin rubber material, perhaps inner tube, and perhaps thin aluminium for the frame. Maybe the whole thing could be rubber? I'd attach the rubber to the aluminium with sheet metal screws.

CO ZX2 11-08-2007 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mighty Mira (Post 80806)
Hi, I like how you've implemented the front wheel skirts. Could you give some details on the construction?

I'm thinking about using thin rubber material, perhaps inner tube, and perhaps thin aluminium for the frame. Maybe the whole thing could be rubber? I'd attach the rubber to the aluminium with sheet metal screws.

I did use inner tube rubber for my first version, sewed to the plastic. A lot of work and hard to get a flat piece of rubber from the inner tube.

Current version uses 1/16 flat sheet neoprene bought off ebay for the inserts. Also was able to simplify construction dispensing with the sewing operation, using Super Glue to bond the rubber to the plastic. Made the job much easier and better looking.

All-rubber covering would be too flimsy and would move inward onto the wheel and tire at speed. One of my first experiments showed that. Even the 1/16 plastic frame is not extremely rigid, good because it has some flex when the rubber moves and also easily returns flat. I use a small 1/2 inch plastic ball screwed to the skirt to contact the center of the hub cap to prevent inward deflection and take some of the load off the rubber insert when steering.

To attach skirt to fender I used hard thickwall plastic tubing metal screwed inside the fender lip. This tubing was intended for in-floor heating systems. Strong, thick, stiff and non-corrosive. Spaced the tubing outward some at the bottom to clear the tire better. Metal screws into the tubing attach the skirt. Only one screw into the fender surface at the front and one at the rear. Skirt removes easily in 30 seconds with just a screwdriver.

Current version has proven to be very durable and reliable in all weather and driving conditions (gravel roads, mud, snow, ice, -0* F temps). Current skirts have been on the car since the middle of last winter.

More pics and info:

https://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=4200

https://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=4379

https://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=4428

Spent a lot of time thinking and fiddling with this project.

Hope some of this helps someone.

Mighty Mira 02-02-2008 08:28 PM

Sorry for taking so long to reply, CO ZX2. I only just saw the reply now.

Thanks for the info, I will digest it slowly. I tried just plain rubber (actually pond sheet, but very similar to inner tube although flat), and it does ripple a bit but does not appear to get sucked in much towards the tyre, at least at speeds below about 80km/h.

I am not yet convinced that it is an improvement, although I am seeing my best fuel economy figures ever as a result of my mods+ driving. (i.e. 3.5l/100km).

sy27295 04-17-2008 07:50 PM

We did get our HighwayGlider's
 
Just one pair. They look OK, very shiny, very transparent. Will put them on this weekend if the weather allows; and will post how it goes. But in general, I think you just cannot go wrong with the idea of making your car more aerodynamic, especially at this price of literally a few bucks. Will post the pictures, too.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.