Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Fuelly Web Support and Community News (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Launch day issues and a quick FAQ (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/launch-day-issues-and-a-quick-faq-34.html)

mathowie 08-08-2008 01:05 AM

Launch day issues and a quick FAQ

We've launched! And we have bugs! And we have to get on a plane so it'll be a day or two! Full details and Frequently Asked Questions inside.

- We've been featured on a lot of blogs today (thanks Lifehacker!) and we just crested our first thousand users, so welcome!

- Metric!: We will shortly (hopefully by the end of the day) allow you to set km as distances instead of miles and liters instead of gallons (and we'll add imperial gallons and L/100km type calculations as well).

- Motorcycles/scooters!: By early next week we should have a way to enter in your year, make, and model of two-wheeled vehicle, and we'll use submitted data to build up a database of all known bikes being ridden out there.

- My car/model/engine isn't listed: By next week we should have ways to enter in data that is outside the bounds of what we list (we started with a somewhat complete list of cars available in the US).

- Locations of fuel-ups? Highway vs. City estimates? Prices in something other than US dollars? Email/SMS input? Upload API?: Yep, we've gotten a ton of great ideas that we'd like to also add in the next week or two and these will be some of them. We have a complete running list of major features we're still working on in a previous post.

If you have any other questions or suggestions for data you'd like to see (especially in non-US countries -- how does your country typically report fuel economy?) drop them in here.

neuro 08-08-2008 02:38 AM

Don't forget UK: fuel sales in litres, consumption in miles per UK gallon :)

silente 08-08-2008 03:07 AM

Wish we could post more than ONE post per WEEK to what is supposed to be a FORUM. What's up with that. It's a forum. There won't be much discourse if you restrict to one entry per week. Just a friendly suggestion. Happy launch day!

(e)

silente 08-08-2008 03:23 AM

PS - The iPhone interface is a little messed up as well. The input fields are HAH-YUGE and go off the screen to the left when in portrait mode. In landscape mode the fields fit but the header is shrunken. FYI from one webdeveloper to another. :)

(e)

silente 08-08-2008 03:28 AM

Okay. Sorry. Last one and I'm done for today. :) Clicking my car in the iPhone entry page gave me a 404. BTW - LOVE the 404 page. everyone should see it, just once.

(e)

BlueSubaru 08-08-2008 03:43 AM

Need a way to import my 8 year fuel history. No way I'm going to retype it all....

ebrandeis 08-08-2008 04:01 AM

I noticed a user with the same type of car as mine with wildly varying statistics (e.g. impossible >1000 miles / tank fill ups, etc.). Will there be a way to flag users who enter impossible data to keep the numbers more accurate? The statistics here could start influencing purchase decisions eventually and bad data would be a terrible thing in that case.

duganj 08-08-2008 04:17 AM

I noticed that when I entered a fill-up on the date of 1/1/2008 it was not counted as being part of my 2008 total $ spent. Changed to 1/2/2008 and it was. Might be a slight bug.

Thanks.

cjkline83 08-08-2008 04:44 AM

Not sure if this has been posted before or not, but can you include support for TWITTER? I'm used to twittering status updates and a simple twitter input interface say: @fuelly 104.1 3.759 7.465 would represent how many miles I travelled, the price I paid for the gas, and how many gallons were purchased (MPG).

Dianoga 08-08-2008 05:18 AM

I like the twitter plan, but would prefer a direct message (so D fuelly 10473 3.79 9.887) in the MPG format (makes the order easy to remember).

bwc28 08-08-2008 06:44 AM

Problems adding vehicles in Firefox 3. The make drop down works but the other drop downs do not populate and activate.

The drop downs work fine in IE7.

kasei 08-08-2008 07:06 AM

Perhaps I've missed something, but I'm not seeing any way to enter my data using a combination of miles travelled and mpg. On a Prius (with a fuel bladder that can vary in capacity from day to day), calculating fuel efficiency based on the gallons filled can be very inaccurate. I could calculate the gallons used with a calculator and the odometer and mpg numbers, but that's enough of a barrier to entry that I suspect I won't bother. Any chance a third input type could be added?

kory 08-08-2008 07:30 AM

I second the twitter suggestion. I need a way to do it at the gas station or else I'm simply not going to keep track.

mathowie 08-08-2008 08:00 AM

Very soon, you'll be able to do something like "d fuelly 321.5 4.029 16.134" and have that show up as 321.5 miles traveled by 16.134 gallons purchased at 4.029 on your primary car.

We're working on a ton of stuff right now, but early next week this will probably be in place.

silente 08-08-2008 02:21 PM

@ebrandeis I have one of those HUGE tanks. 966 miles actually. It's because I don't have the data for the fuel up before that one. So it's calculating based on two tanks. Thus the discrepancy. I've already had a +1 vote for a checkbox indicating that there's a missing tank before the one you're entering. Should help with the problem.

(e)

conorb 08-08-2008 09:44 PM

Metric would be great and the possibility of common models outside the US - I drive a BMW 320D here in Ireland that gets about 60 mpg according to the digital display (but that is an imperial gallon).

However, I would love to track this and see how many L/100km I am getting and how this compares with outer models.

sean 08-09-2008 01:37 AM

Congrats on getting your first thousand users. Is there a way for us early adopters (and others) to know what user ID and/ or sign up we were in the initial sign ups?

roague 08-09-2008 02:14 AM

German model Ford Mondeo missing... would love to compare stats. Any ideas if the Mondeo was marketed under other names worldwide? This is a great idea, I have been waiting for something like this for a long time

chrisjtaylor 08-09-2008 02:37 AM

Waiting patiently to be able to enter metric data. Canadian drivers would love this site if we didn't have all that math to do. ;)

mingo3369 08-09-2008 02:58 AM

I would suggest an integration with jott. This would make uploading a fill up a breeze. www.jott.com

Bevan 08-09-2008 01:08 PM

I'd love to be able to share my car with my partner (another fuelly user) so that we can both add fuel-ups, since she uses it at least as much as me, and fuels up more often.

mathowie 08-09-2008 02:30 PM

Yeah, we had a very basic car sharing bit of code in place and ready to go, but it opened up a bunch of potential problems down the road (what to do if you sell the car/break off the relationship, etc) that we didn't release it on day one.

I'm wanting the feature as well, since I'm currently tracking my wife's car and she has to tell me her details to enter, so I suspect we'll hammer out the problems we couldn't solve before launch and add it in the next week or so.

pjdoland 08-09-2008 11:15 PM

I second the call for car sharing. Lot's of cars have multiple drivers who fill up the tank. It would be nice if I could share the ability to add a fuel record for a car without sharing a login.

nkelly 08-10-2008 05:09 PM

I really like the site so far! A lot more features than Fuelfrog! Though it would be nice to have Twitter integration - the mobile entry is a little cumbersome. Using Fuelfrog, I loved being able to tweet my fill ups. Thanks for a great concept.

jackholt 08-10-2008 05:15 PM

You've got the VW Golf, but not the GTI. So, doesn't seem to be the right options available for transmission. I.e. doesn't list the 5-spd automatic with available "Tiptronic" manual shifting.

Cool site, though. I'll be checking back soon.

pixelwiz 08-10-2008 11:23 PM

I think you guys should track where the gas was purchased and at what price. So that if someone finds a cheap gas station in our area we'd get notified. Like grab a zip code or city name where we live, and enter the zip of the gas station if known, then tell people, hey someone just got gas for $3.89 near you at a BP station on Blue Heron Blvd in Riviera Beach, FL, that's 10 cents less per galon then your last fill up. It'd be too cool if you could somehow incorporate Google Maps Mobile Current Location feature to help us enter the location details too.

mrgoofy 08-11-2008 01:42 AM

How about octane type?

Monty 08-11-2008 05:43 AM

What I would like is a meter for my car (on a mobile phone or gps) that shows me how much I've spent on gas so far this trip. Doesn't have to be too accurate, I just want to see I spent $8 running around doing errands this morning.

ebrandeis 08-11-2008 05:44 AM

Is there a correct way to compensate for a missing tank other than to throw out the data? You could try to guess the total gallons used, but that would still be fairly suspect. Unless there is a reasonable way to correct for this, I think the best way to handle it is to encourage users not to enter data when part of it is missing or incorrect and add the ability to flag obviously incorrect data (i.e. missing tanks leading to 70+ mpg on a 25 mpg car).

michaeljamorgan 08-12-2008 03:09 AM

We Irish like our British neighbours do this: fuel sales in litres, consumption in miles per UK gallon!

explosivo2k2 08-13-2008 10:23 AM

I'm really enjoying the site so far. Just wanted to suggest a feature..

When entering a fill-up, I'd like the stats to be able to be emailed to myself or other email addresses.

The wife handles the banking, works at the credit union, and has like 27 account for everything. She wants me to frigging call her very time I fill up. So I figure if I use Fuelly every time anyway, maybe I can send a copy of the fill-up to her.

Thanks.

popkinson 08-21-2008 06:12 PM

nthing more flexibility in units.

Ideally I think many of us (particularly us awkward UK types) would like the ability to select fuel units (US gall, UK gall, litre), distance units (km, mile) and consumption units (mpg, km/l) separately.

mathowie 08-22-2008 03:25 AM

yep, popkinson, we're almost done with the custom fuel-up options so you can track miles and load up in L.

wearlaz 09-04-2008 01:21 AM

I just joined and love the site. In addition to already requested octane, city/highway fields, I also have been tracking AC % used, AVG MPH, MTBE % and the OBC MPG calc'd by my MINI (helps to see how accurate the OBC really is)