Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Whats too much Psi (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/whats-too-much-psi-3485.html)

Hockey4mnhs 12-14-2006 07:13 PM

Whats too much Psi

My tire Psi limit is 44 i have about 47 in all. What is to much over where it is getting unsafe.

kickflipjr 12-14-2006 07:25 PM

I guess 44 would be considered safe by the MFG. I know people on these boards have had there tires up to 50-60psi without much risk. You could probally get it up to +100 before the tire would blow (DONT DO THAT!!!).

Hockey4mnhs 12-14-2006 07:33 PM

so it says 44 so could i go to lets say 54 and it would fine?

Peakster 12-14-2006 07:37 PM

I think 44psi should be alright. Any more than that and the tires might wear more on the centre of the tread. The general idea is not to have them too low that the tire becomes saggy and hard for the engine to do its work. I'm not sure if you would see much improvement with 54 as opposed to 44 (compared to say 34 and 44).

I just really dislike how Wal-Mart keeps making my psi 32 in each tire whenever I get an oil change. I need to remind myself to let them know to leave them alone.

kickflipjr 12-14-2006 07:51 PM

I would run the tries at 50. My tires are rated at 45 and i run 50. I think there there is a slightly harher ride, but nothing major.

Hockey4mnhs 12-14-2006 07:53 PM

50 sounds like a nice round # to go for

SVOboy 12-14-2006 08:13 PM

I run 50, I think dan has run 60, and I've pymped a tire up past 120 before, but not driven on it, so yeah, 50 is good.

JanGeo 12-14-2006 08:34 PM

The are paving the last bumpy section of my test loop on Ocean Drive and when they finallly finish it I will run a few passes at normal and elevated pressures and see what the difference is. I can get pretty consistant results and should be able to see a difference right away, Be funny if it didn't make a difference . . . or better yet gets me even higher that I get already running 38psi.

Peakster 12-14-2006 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanGeo
The are paving the last bumpy section of my test loop on Ocean Drive and when they finallly finish it I will run a few passes at normal and elevated pressures and see what the difference is... Be funny if it didn't make a difference

I was really surprised that there is virtually no difference between the fuel efficiency of my Metro whether driven on smooth paved roads or grid/gravel roads. Perhaps the ground is nice and solid now that the temperatures are well below freezing.

Ocean Drive. Why does that sound familiar? Is that the street the infamous "Amittyville Horror" house is on?

kickflipjr 12-14-2006 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
I run 50, I think dan has run 60, and I've pymped a tire up past 120 before, but not driven on it, so yeah, 50 is good.

That is very dangerous(120psi). You do not want to be standing near a tire when it decides to explode.

red91sit 12-14-2006 09:18 PM

My sidewalls say 37, but I run 50-57 psi (refill every once in a while cuz they're old) I actually raised my tire pressure not for ecomony, but for handling. At under 55 psi in the front tires, they would roll onto their sidewalls and give me less cornering grip than than low psi. To anyone concerned about hi pressure tires giving worse handling go to an Auto Cross event, almost everyone is running atleast 10% more pressure than their tires are rated at.

DRW 12-14-2006 09:37 PM

"You do not want to be standing near a tire when it decides to explode."

HA! Tell me about it. I work in a bicycle shop and every once in a while someone will blow out a road bike tire at 100 psi. It's like a gun going off. Everyone stops and looks like they're in shock. I had a few blow out while I was pumping them up and it hurts!

I have a feeling the car tire manufacturers try to build a safety margin into their tires so people can do all sorts of abusive things to their tires and they'll still hold up. With that said, I'd recomend checking your tires carefully for anything that might weaken them just to make sure it's OK. Look for things like sidewall wear from rubbing against curbs when you park, cuts from road debris, uneven lumps or bulges in the sidewall or tread, and anything that looks unusual. Just make sure the tires are in good shape before you raise the pressure.

kickflipjr 12-15-2006 07:06 AM

My friends dad is a trucker. He had a truck tire blow on him once when he was filling it. He said it was the most scared he has ever been.

MetroMPG 12-15-2006 07:27 AM

DRW: I have a similar story:

I went mountain biking with a bunch of people. Afterwards we were sitting around having beers and snacks. The bikes were all parked nearby when my rear tire exploded. While parked! It was incredibly loud (even though mtb tires aren't high pressure - I was running maybe 30-35 lbs). Everybody jumped. And then we had a good laugh.

Turned out the tire sidewall had been weakened from being chafed during the ride, and the tube balooned it and burst through. It just took a while to work its way through the sidewall damage.

SVOboy 12-15-2006 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickflipjr
That is very dangerous(120psi). You do not want to be standing near a tire when it decides to explode.

I was at the shop trying to repair a leak and I couldn't find it so the other guy came over and was like, here, let me fill it up at bit, so he filled it up to 120 and was like, there's the leak. *shrug* I was scared but he seemed to know what he was doing. Kids these days, pssh.

red91sit 12-15-2006 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG
DRW: I have a similar story:

I went mountain biking with a bunch of people. Afterwards we were sitting around having beers and snacks. The bikes were all parked nearby when my rear tire exploded. While parked! It was incredibly loud (even though mtb tires aren't high pressure - I was running maybe 30-35 lbs). Everybody jumped. And then we had a good laugh.

Turned out the tire sidewall had been weakened from being chafed during the ride, and the tube balooned it and burst through. It just took a while to work its way through the sidewall damage.

I also had one of these blow out on me, it was on an old bicycle where the tire was so worn down the tube actually stuck out, so it wasn't really a surprise when it popped.

MetroMPG 12-15-2006 08:09 AM

And then there was the classic one I did when I was a little kid: my neighbour's bike had the best tire compound. I didn't know this was the reason at the time, all I knew was when you locked up the rear brakes, the tire just howled when it skidded. So cool.

So I rode up and down the sidewalk as fast as I could, doing long, screeching skids on his bike. Until I eventually wore through the tread. And the casing. And the tube. screeeeeee-BANG! :o

Gary Palmer 12-15-2006 08:14 AM

My tire's sidewall limit's are 35 lbs. I have been running 55 lbs, for about six month's. I haven't had any issue's, except the little rougher ride. I've left them at 55, because I was very amazed at how much farther the car would roll, with no power, compared to when the tire's were at 35. Try them for a little while and see if you think it makes any difference, on your car.

zpiloto 12-15-2006 08:28 AM

This subject comes up all the time. Has anyone every had a tubless tire(in good condition) explode because of over inflation on a car? The paranoia of tires exploding seems to be a hold over from the tubless days. I don't think the FE benifits are that great once you hit a certain point it just a matter of finding it and what kind of ride qualities you are willing to put up with to get it. Keep in mind anytime you do something that is not recomended by the manufactor that you open yourself up for all kinds of liabilities.

JanGeo 12-15-2006 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakster
I was really surprised that there is virtually no difference between the fuel efficiency of my Metro whether driven on smooth paved roads or grid/gravel roads. Perhaps the ground is nice and solid now that the temperatures are well below freezing.

Ocean Drive. Why does that sound familiar? Is that the street the infamous "Amittyville Horror" house is on?

https://www.amityvillemurders.com/
"On November 13, 1974, police discovered six members of the DeFeo family -- father, mother and four of their five children -- shot and killed execution style at 112 Ocean Avenue in Amityville, New York"

More like the Jim Carey movie where he plays a RI State Trooper (Me MySelf and Ireen)- that was filmed on Ocean Drive and a few other places that I didn't recognize. The Amittyville Horror may be some where here too I will check on that but I think that may have been on Block Island.

The pavement is soo bumpy that it shakes my car like crazy with the high pressure in the tires - its like 1/4 mile of cold patches all over the road. They are installing new water pipes and have it dug up down to the dirt so it should be really nice afterwards as long as the put in proper drainage for the marsh next to it.

diamondlarry 12-15-2006 04:09 PM

I know of someone who has some connections in the tire industry and had some interesting things to share on max pressures. For obvious reasons, he wouldn't tell me the manufaturer or the exact pressure, but did say that a tire was inflated to "well over the 200 psi level" and didn't burst.:eek: He has driven on tires that were pumped to 120 for a short time. I think krousdb knows who I'm talking about.;)
I am currently running 60 psi in my Goodyear Assurance Comfortread's. The max pressure on the sidewall is 44 and I have seen no odd tread wear patterns after nearly 5,000 miles. The same tires on my son's car(formerly "my temporary ride") have nearly 10,000 miles and no wear problems. He has let his tires drop to just over 50 psi.

JanGeo 12-15-2006 09:21 PM

I have yet to hear my tires squeel but I did a fast turn onto a side street today then had to brake for a dump truck pulling out of a gas station and the ABS kicked in on the right rear I think - thumping noise as I stopped. Interesting effect on higher tire pressure - less squeeling when cornering and braking. Think about this - when you corner hard and brake hard there is more load on the tire and less pressure would cause the tire to flatten and wear on the outer tread.

Ok next believe it or not I have noticed that my xB was pulling a little to the left for the past week or so . . . left front 36psi right front 37.8psi . . . if that little difference can affect the handling then it IS sensitive to pressure and should mean that some higher pressure would reduce rolling friction even further. I think 5psi higher and then 5 lower and 10 lower test runs are in order. Meaning 28 33 38 43 psi test runs.

Ted Hart 12-22-2006 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zpiloto
This subject comes up all the time. Has anyone every had a tubless tire(in good condition) explode because of over inflation on a car? The paranoia of tires exploding seems to be a hold over from the tubless days. I don't think the FE benifits are that great once you hit a certain point it just a matter of finding it and what kind of ride qualities you are willing to put up with to get it. Keep in mind anytime you do something that is not recomended by the manufactor that you open yourself up for all kinds of liabilities.

Ah! Lawyers rule! Does anyone here remember the initial days of IMSA road racing (Street Sedan class)? Street tires only! Most teams would shave the tread to 1/2 depth...to reduce the centrifugal forces in the tread rubber... and jack the pressures to 50-60 psi at each corner.These were B.F. Goodrich tires (was this why the series was called the "BF Goodrich series"?). Hmmm....
I knew the owner / 1 (of 2) drivers of this team; AMC knew them, too (main sponsor)!

bobc455 12-22-2006 09:50 AM

When you run at elevated pressure, does anyone notice a rougher ride?

-Bob C.

krousdb 12-22-2006 09:54 AM

Yes,
The ride is much rougher at 60 PSI than at 32. CHoose what you are most comfortable with. I have run 50-60PSI for years with no issues. Tire wear has been normal.

All that being said, I "officially" recommend not going over the max sidewall pressure listed on your tire.

JanGeo 12-23-2006 06:36 AM

Ok running 40psi seemed like a nice round number and it seems to work well on yesterdays and today's trip only the SG2 didn't shut down last night so it is still averaging from yesterdays driving GRRRRR! But considering light rain and winds and several stop lights I got 42.2 on todays 20 mile trip with most of my down hill coasting stretches were into the wind slowing me down too much and last night was night time and today had marker lights on.

onegammyleg 12-23-2006 08:48 AM

If it looks like this , back it off a few PSI.

https://www.nomeri.com/newyorkwatch/a...04/11/tire.jpg

red91sit 12-24-2006 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onegammyleg
If it looks like this , back it off a few PSI.

https://www.nomeri.com/newyorkwatch/a...04/11/tire.jpg

Hmm, that example looks like it's got very low tire pressure to me :eek:

GasSavers_Ryland 12-24-2006 05:20 PM

Quality retred with to low of presure

bobc455 12-25-2006 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krousdb
The ride is much rougher at 60 PSI than at 32. CHoose what you are most comfortable with. I have run 50-60PSI for years with no issues. Tire wear has been normal.

Well it seems like if you feel a rougher ride, so do your shocks/struts, rubber bushings, tie rods, rack & pinion, and so on. I suppose this is okay if you run on flat roads, but when you hit bumps it probably wears out suspension & steering components much faster. Yes?

-Bob C.

GasSavers_roadrunner 02-10-2007 12:28 PM

"higher pressure =better MPG, but more$$$ in tires, because they wear out faster" this is from a Yaris forum webpage.
I run my tires at 44, that is the number shown on the sidewall. Do you believe my tires will wearout faster? :)

diamondlarry 02-10-2007 12:31 PM

I have heard of cheapie 30K tires going well into the 40's & 50's with increased pressures.

cfg83 02-10-2007 07:18 PM

diamondlarry -

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondlarry (Post 40368)
I have heard of cheapie 30K tires going well into the 40's & 50's with increased pressures.

Wow, and I was thinking of getting 30K tires to keep from being "locked in" to a set of tires that might give me bad FE. And your saying they might give me 40K+ anyway! Now I want to look for 30K tires rated at 51 PSI.

... I read that if you want to be on the safe side, there is a tire website (I forget the URL!!!) that abides by the "10% rule". Whatever the maximum PSI rating is, subtract 10%. Soooo, 44 PSI => 40 Max. If you get tires rated at 51 PSI, you can go to 45 PSI.

Most people seem to be running at or beyond the rated PSI, though, so it's your call.

For my car I was at 39 PSI (rated 44 PSI), and it was definitely a rough ride. I am at 37 PSI right now on the "car voodoo belief" that it will increase my traction in the rain (not that we didn't get any :mad: ).

CarloSW2

red91sit 02-12-2007 04:45 PM

I would definetly say that the higher pressure would give less tread wear. Less work by the engine means less resistive force from the tires. So they must be doing less work :-)

I've seen the formula somewhere like the one you mentioned, but it took the difference between weight on the tire, and gross weight for the tire. Then there was some forumla to figure out what percent more psi you could run.

95_corolla 02-12-2007 08:45 PM

watch the movie

please watch the movie

Wal-mart the high cost of low prices ..... and you will stop going to wal-mart I won't say anymore just see for yourself

rh77 02-13-2007 09:42 AM

I did, and I did

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 40617)
And what movie would that be?

I watched it and quit shopping at that place.

RH77

cfg83 02-13-2007 10:29 AM

rh77 -

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77 (Post 40624)
I watched it and quit shopping at that place.

RH77

They were never near me before I figured out that they were just another mega-corporation eating the USA alive. Remember the 60 Minutes on how Wal-Mart was bullying distributors? There was this pickle company that was dependent on Wal-Mart for like 20% of it's sales. Wal-Mart demands that they provide 1 gallon jugs of pickles for like a dollar or something. Company complies and eventually goes out of business from the losses.

Meanwhile, people never eat that many pickles. They go bad and people throw out the one gallon jugs. It was just a marketing ploy to have something "big and cheap" at the entrance to the store so people would have that "i got a bargain" feel from shopping at Wal-Mart.

:(, but it's hard not to buy anything these days without hitting the "Made In China" label. A new acronym, MIC!

... As in MICkey mouse?!?!?!

CarloSW2

JanGeo 02-13-2007 11:14 AM

OK not exactly on topic but tire and wear and pressure related at least and not a Walmart slam - buy your oil there for les and beat the oil companies a little . . . anyway...

I have been using some Armorall tire foam on my tires to keep them nice and clean and shiny but none of the other cleaners as it seems to attack and fade Toyota black plastics and materials. So the tires get washed off in the rain and turn brown and powdery looking so I was wondering if a silicone oil or silicone brake fluid on the side walls would be better for the tires. The silicone oil is recommended for door seals so I figure maybe it would be ok and non-reactive with the sidewall rubber. ANY THOUGHTS?

zpiloto 02-13-2007 11:24 AM

How did a movie about Wal mart get into a tire PSI thread?:confused: What did I miss?

diamondlarry 02-13-2007 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zpiloto (Post 40639)
How did a movie about Wal mart get into a tire PSI thread?:confused: What did I miss?

Even wierder is the fact that there is no link for said movie.:p

Quote:

theclencher- Sure, it'll give less tread wear- on the outside edges! The middle might disagree...
I have been running 60 psi in my tires(44 max rating) since September without any abnormal wear patterns; middle or otherwise. The tires on my son's car(diamondlarry's temporary ride) have been running the same tires as my car since July with the same pressure with no abnormal wear. The tires on my son's car were on my old Saturn for 6 months+ before they went on his car. I think that the old bias-ply tires were more susceptible to wear in the middle than today's radial tires; unless maybe you pumped them up to 150+ psi.