Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Comparing Old and New EPA MPG Estimates (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/comparing-old-and-new-epa-mpg-estimates-3937.html)

cfg83 02-25-2007 07:43 PM

skewbe -

Quote:

Originally Posted by skewbe (Post 41934)
Folks, there sure is a lot of focus on the mpg rating for a given vehicle, any thoughts on OTHER ways to quantify the saved gas? i.e. a number of passengers multiplier? Or a way to quantify efforts to reduce the amount of unnecessary driving that someone does?

Is the point to save gas? or just to get a car to get good mpg regardless of how much extra driving is wasted at that mpg rating?

Yes, please. I think the current MPG target is the same as the "0-60" rating of a car's performance. It's a very limiting number.

I think the "total gallons saved" over EPA is a good one. If Matt adds up all the gallons saved of all the GasSavers (including the gallons lost for below EPA!!!), then he could have a "running meter" similar to the Toyota Prius billboards I have seen in LA. This way, *all* of our contributions would have value.

CarloSW2

skewbe 02-25-2007 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by white90crxhf (Post 41945)
if you ride your bike/walk to work you should get to add that distance to your distance number.

I like it :) My 4 and 6 year old daughters and I walked downtown to lunch last weekend, like 3 miles roundtrip * 3 people. That should be good for at least 9 miles of petrol karma.

cfg83 02-25-2007 08:13 PM

skewbe -

Quote:

Originally Posted by skewbe (Post 41955)
I like it :) My 4 and 6 year old daughters and I walked downtown to lunch last weekend, like 3 miles roundtrip * 3 people. That should be good for at least 9 miles of petrol karma.

Sounds like we need walk-logs, bus-logs, and lincoln-logs too ;) .

CarloSW2

red91sit 02-25-2007 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 41960)
skewbe -

Sounds like we need walk-logs, bus-logs, and lincoln-logs too ;) .

CarloSW2

I got the Lincoln Log!

But I dunno about adding your walking in there. I was thinking about doing a total for everthing i do but not adding it to the lincolns. More like an Isaac gas log, with everthing from bike, to motorcycle in it.

Also, gotta keep the new epa numbers, I'm almost beating my epa!

Matt Timion 02-25-2007 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skewbe (Post 41934)
Folks, there sure is a lot of focus on the mpg rating for a given vehicle, any thoughts on OTHER ways to quantify the saved gas? i.e. a number of passengers multiplier? Or a way to quantify efforts to reduce the amount of unnecessary driving that someone does?

Is the point to save gas? or just to get a car to get good mpg regardless of how much extra driving is wasted at that mpg rating?

The Point of GasSavers is to save gas. We modify vehicles to save gas.

There is NO way that we are going to record every possible gas saving action and somehow quantify them so that they can be measurable.

Some people here work at home in order to save gas. Others ride bikes or carpool.

And of course this has nothing to do with the EPA estimates.