Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Fuelly Web Support and Community News (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Fuel-up via SMS (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/fuel-up-via-sms-405.html)

pb 03-08-2010 12:07 AM

No plans to expand to Australia right now. We're using a US company to handle messaging, and they don't have any international numbers. It might be worth checking with your carrier to see how much a text message to the US costs. If it's not too expensive you might be able to use our current number.

heypete 03-09-2010 01:24 PM

Outstanding. I usually write things on the gas receipt, then enter it into my records when I get home. Alas, I often lose the receipt if I don't enter it in right away.

Being able to submit via SMS reduces the paper I need, as well as keeping me from losing information. So far, so good!

The only think that might make the service better would be using an SMS short code, such as "383559" ("fuelly"), though I would imagine this would be expensive. Nix that, then.

heypete 03-09-2010 01:26 PM

A tip for SMS users: oftentimes, your phone will display the name of the recipient above the box where you compose your text message. At least it's done that on the last few phones I've had, including an LG enV3.

To avoid forgetting the required format, just change the contact name for Fuelly from whatever it currently is to "Fuelly Miles Price Gallons" or "Fuelly MPG", so you can easily remember it when you're filling up.

Gray06TDI 03-10-2010 07:33 PM

The new SMS feature works great! I like this a lot. It's quicker than waiting for my phone browser to load, etc. Thanks!

Charger2 03-10-2010 10:07 PM

I tried this last night for the first time and it didn't work. I received the "confirmation" message but was never posted. I manually added it later.

heypete 03-11-2010 02:13 PM

Oh, just a quick clarification: the "price" is the "price per gallon", not "total price paid". That kinda confused me a bit when I was submitting a new entry tonight.

Nevyn 03-15-2010 04:32 AM

When I submitted via SMS, it went to my retired car. I didn't have a place on my profile to select active vehicle. It looks like if you have one car, and retire it, and then start a 2nd car, your retired vehicle becomes your permanent primary - unless you delete it altogether.

zencyl 03-16-2010 01:02 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for adding this feature.

axx 08-26-2013 08:21 AM

testing fuelly profile pic as avatar.

STDog 01-04-2014 02:24 PM

Sharing and SMS updates don't work together.

The person the vehicle is shared with has no way to know way to identify the vehicle.

Example, I have 2 vehicles a and b, with my number and my wife's.

I share one with my son who has a separate account for his vehicle.

There's no way for him to send an SMS to add a fill up for the share vehicle.