Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Its getting hot (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/its-getting-hot-4057.html)

Peakster 03-13-2007 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zpiloto (Post 43765)
Need to check your state laws. In Texas 30% darkness for non reflective is the darkest you can use.

In Saskatchewan, I can have tint as dark as I want as long as it's not on the windshield or the foremost door windows (unless it's factory tinting). When I was in Dominican Republic a few weeks back, some cars had 100% darkness all the way around! I guess you gotta keep cool in the country any way possible.

VetteOwner 03-13-2007 08:27 PM

haha ive had one of those beaded seatcovers blow apart on me onetime...once one bead breaks all hell breaks loose..

brucepick 03-14-2007 11:29 AM

Tint - if you're in FL, absolutely.

When I was in FL a few years ago nearly all cars were heavily tinted. Saves mucho heat buildup.

Definitely check the current state laws.

And when you buy the tint try verify that it reflects the heat out as much as possible. As oppossed to converting it to heat energy that stays inside the car. The tint sheet is INSIDE the car so if it doesn't reflect the heat out the only improvement you get is whatever is picked up by the air outside the window. Dig? Because the plastic film would be warming up, and passing the heat to the glass. Better to reflect it back out.

Gary Palmer 03-14-2007 02:32 PM

Hockey4mnhs: Nebraska + Summertime, if you have A/C, I'd pay the toll and take the cool, dryer air. Lived in Nebraska, in the summer, pay the toll, if you can, it's worth it.

Peakster 03-14-2007 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Palmer (Post 43863)
...if you have A/C... pay the toll, if you can, it's worth it.

But that top-10-list is so desireable! When you're sweating like crazy this summer, just think of how great your MPG is going to be.

cfg83 03-14-2007 03:36 PM

Peakster -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakster (Post 43867)
But that top-10-list is so desireable! When you're sweating like crazy this summer, just think of how great your MPG is going to be.

And the sweat should evaporate and lower the weight of the car too, right :D ?

I just bit my own bullet and ordered these for $5 a piece:

Personal Evaporative Coolers - COOLER BARS
https://www.coolerbars.com/

https://www.coolerbars.com/images/redwhtblue02a.jpg
Quote:

HOW MANY TIMES CAN I RECHARGE A COOLER BAR?

With each COOLER BAR you can expect up 25 or more full charges (a charge is when the COOLER BAR has absorbed water up to it's max capacity) after that your cooler bar will still charge up with water but may not completely fill the necktie. You can get another 15 or so charges in this state also. SO this means your COOLER BAR will last for many months of highly functional use.
Your COOLER BAR will stay charged in a usable state for approximately 3 days without the need to recharge it.

I will be testing them this summer on the way to work, which is my own little Dante's inferno without AC. Assuming a recharge of twice a week, one bar should last me ... (25+15)/2 => 20 weeks.

Quote:

Do Not Charge or swim with or in salt water or in the ocean, The polymer crystals can dissolve in pure saltwater. Meant for use on the beach, on the water as in a boat or jet ski.
Hmmmm, I don't want to take a jet ski to work, though ...

CarloSW2

cfg83 03-14-2007 04:01 PM

theclencher -

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 43875)
My solution for hot weather motoring is to jump on the motorcycle!

Your absolutely right, a motorcycle is the best AC on a hot summer day. NO WIND CHILL FACTOR!!!!!!

(start world's smallest violin music)
But in the past I found out (for me) that any commute on a motorcycle just wears me out physically. I am already being worn out by my 35 mile commute in my car, so a 2 wheeler wasn't in the front of my carapace on this one.
(stop world's smallest violin music)

CarloSW2

zpiloto 03-14-2007 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 43876)
theclencher -

Your absolutely right, a motorcycle is the best AC on a hot summer day. NO WIND CHILL FACTOR!!!!!!

(start world's smallest violin music)
But in the past I found out (for me) that any commute on a motorcycle just wears me out physically. I am already being worn out by my 35 mile commute in my car, so a 2 wheeler wasn't in the front of my carapace on this one.
(stop world's smallest violin music)

CarloSW2

You're right. There is nothing that can beat it. Until I moved and had to drive in and through a city with a population of 750k or more and had to lay my bike over for the 3rd time I decided that I was to young to be an organ donor:) YMMV

kickflipjr 03-14-2007 07:30 PM

Open the front driver window and the rear passenger side window (if you have a four door). This is best way to roll down the windows. It has less drag on the car (I think).

Peakster 03-14-2007 08:25 PM

Here's some awesome tips of how to keep yourself cool without air conditioning.

Quote:

Don't forget that the human race lived for many, many years without air conditioning.