Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   New Yaris Member (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/new-yaris-member-4167.html)

MorningGaser 03-31-2007 03:46 PM

New Yaris Member

Hi All,

I stumbled onto this site a few days ago, and found it to be very helpful in HyperMiling.

I drive a 2007 Toyota Yaris Lift-Back, and the sticker price shows EPA City/Highway of 34/39, but after 1,200 miles of using some of the pointers found on this site, I average 44.5 MPG in mixed driving...I never thought I could get better then the EPA estimates...I was astounded, and this with an auto-tranny!

I use a ScanGaugeII, and keep my tires at 55psi.

I purchased the Yaris new for $13,195 and it is not a striped down model either. I'm exceedingly happy with this car....my last car was a pile of excriment: 2006 Ford Mustang...a VERY undependable car, very low MPG car, and it lacked the refinement and attention to quality that my current bottom-of-the-line Toyota provides.

Glad to have found this site!

omgwtfbyobbq 03-31-2007 03:55 PM

Welcome to the site! Which Orange County are you in? Getting near 50mpg is great our of an automatic... If you can stand going 55mph on the 5/405/etc (if I'm guessing correctly), you should break 50-60mpg easily. Toyota's automatic transmissions tend to be geared significantly lower than their manuals imle, so as long as the cruise control is set at a steady speed, you'll almost always see better highway mileage compared to driving a stick.

MorningGaser 03-31-2007 04:23 PM

Thanks....yes, OC California. I'm a very early riser, so I hit the freeways before traffic, so getting high MPG is not a challange. For a bottom of the line car, the Yaris is surprisingly well built, refined and once cruising speed is hit, it is quiet too.

Hockey4mnhs 03-31-2007 09:36 PM

i wish i had enough money but my budget wont allow 13k on new car. welcome to the site!

zpiloto 04-01-2007 05:29 AM

Welcome. There are a bunch or Yarii on the site. They have a friendly FE competition going. Add your car to the Garage. It's a good way to keep track of mileage as you work out your FE improvements.

psyshack 04-01-2007 07:40 AM

Welcome.

Now wheres that competition? LOLOLOLOLOL

diamondlarry 04-01-2007 08:22 AM

Welcome to GasSavers! Nice work on the 44.5 avg.! I'm betting that we hear of 50+ tanks soon.

GasSavers_roadrunner 04-01-2007 09:10 AM

Welcome to a great website. It looks like I now have someone to compete against in 2007. I too have been very happy with my Yaris Hatchback. My mileage keeps getting better and better.
Roadrunner

cfg83 04-01-2007 10:04 AM

MorningGaser -

Welcome to GasSavers. You'll be really happy with all the Yari (plural for Yaris?) that are here. Lots of knowlegia to absorb.

It's funny how you say the Yaris is refined. It get's dogged in the press for being to "plastic-ee" but I think it is fine. I *love* all it's compartments. They are making use of every drop of dashboard volume by doing that.

I'm also a believer in the center console. It gives the car lower international UMC (Unit Manufactuing Cost), and leaves space in front of the steering wheel to mount the ScanGauge. It's like they designed it FOR the ScanGauge!

CarloSW2

Peakster 04-01-2007 10:54 AM

Welcome MorningGaser. 45+ mpg is fantastic for an automatic! Aerodynamics must be good on your car because my car would be lucky to see that @ 55 mph in 5th gear. What speeds do you drive on the highway?

Be sure to enter your vehicle in the garage and start entering your gaslog.