Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Buying a CHEAP truck. Anything out there have MPG hope? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/buying-a-cheap-truck-anything-out-there-have-mpg-hope-4383.html)

bambbrose 04-25-2007 06:47 PM

Buying a CHEAP truck. Anything out there have MPG hope?

Hi guys,

I'm going to be purchasing an old used pickup here in the next month after finals. Its going to be used to haul things around, and go off-roading here in Utah. It will rarely go on long trips but I might have a few here and there. Mostly town driving though.

Here are my requirements:

4x4
cheap (<$1500)
and hopefully ok mileage
chevy/gmc, toyota, nissan preferred.

Honestly I've thought about getting the regular old 1/2ton chevy, but wondering if you can even get ok mileage out of them.

Any suggestions for what to look for?
I'd love to find an old toyota but they are in demand like no other here and a very rare find in my price range.

Hockey4mnhs 04-25-2007 07:04 PM

i would just go with a f150 because there usally cheap and easy to work on. there a great truck for the $ also. mileage isnt that great but u want 4x4 you have to pay the price.

trebuchet03 04-25-2007 07:13 PM

Try to find a standard shift ;) It will be difficult, but they're out there (somewhere :p)

Hockey4mnhs 04-25-2007 07:34 PM

agree that is one of my absolute gotta haves is a manual

kwtorbe 04-25-2007 07:36 PM

My buddy back in high school had these little toyota 4-cylinder trucks that got like 30mpg. They were standards but I don't know about 4 wheel drive though....

I'd go for a V6 dakota. You should be able to find one in your price range but 4x4 v6 might be tough....,

An International Scout II Truck type with a nissan deisel and a 4 speed with 4x4 would be very nice but I think they are getting hard to find. My dad had one when I was young. The diesel gets better FE than a V8.....

GasSavers_Red 04-25-2007 07:40 PM

To bad about the the demand, 4 cyl 4x4 'yota would be perfect. Those things won't die off road and are descent in the hauling category. Not sure of the year range you are looking for, but a late 80s, with a solid front axle would be a boon.

91-95 Wranglers(YJ) makes for good off road beaters as well. You'd need a trailer to haul stuff though.

GasSavers_Ryland 04-25-2007 08:20 PM

everyone else and their grandmother wants a truck like that as well, and they have more money then you, so you are either going to need alot of luck, or to compromise, if you are going to abuse it go with an amarican made truck, they are going to get worse mileage, and be harder to work on, but they are going to be cheaper because people who don't want to abuse, but insted need or want a useful truck that will last a long time and get good mileage are going to be willing to spend more on a Toyota or Nissan.

UfoTofU 04-25-2007 08:38 PM

Can't speak for the 4x4s but I had a nice little "beater" 94 Mazda B2300 for a long while. It was a good little commuter truck for me and I think that I regularly got mid to high 20s in it.

Maybe check out Ford Rangers as well?

GasSavers_Ryland 04-25-2007 08:53 PM

how about renting a truck? $1,500 will rent alot of truck

Peakster 04-25-2007 10:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
How about a little Chevrolet S10 with 4.3L V6 4x4 with a 5-speed? I'm sure it could hypermile well with CODFISH'ing and reduced highway speed (17/22 mpg).
Attachment 410

Another option is to get the 4 cylinder 4x4 stick version of the Ford Ranger (20/25 mpg).
Attachment 409

I'd recommend 1996+ for SG compatibility. Check out used government vehicles too. They're usually bare bones and priced well.