Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Yaris vs. Fit thread (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/yaris-vs-fit-thread-4410.html)

thisisntjared 04-28-2007 09:42 AM

Yaris vs. Fit thread

most of you know where i stand, and if you don't all you have to do is look at my garage to see what my preferences, interests and uses for the cars are.

also understand that when i take my opinion as absolute truth, i am joking.

i picked the fit for a couple reasons. namely, utility, aesthetic appeal, and honda is better than toyota.

Matt Timion 04-28-2007 09:56 AM

Toyota is cheaper and gets better gas mileage.

thisisntjared 04-28-2007 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion (Post 49467)
Toyota is cheaper

exactly. its not just less expensive. :P

i will admit, i wish honda could squeeze some more efficiency out of the fit engine. 33-38mpg seems a little weak

how come you are getting trash mpg with yours? how many miles do you have now?

Matt Timion 04-28-2007 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisntjared (Post 49469)
how come you are getting trash mpg with yours? how many miles do you have now?

I get horrible MPG because I bought it in October and have been on winter gasoline until just last week.

Also, most of my driving is short trips to pick up the kid from school, so you can see how the combination of those two would kick my car's butt.

Hockey4mnhs 04-28-2007 12:56 PM

yeah the fit has 5star safety the yaris has 4 star idk if that matters to some people. i wold get the yaris

GasSavers_roadrunner 04-28-2007 01:23 PM

I now have 7000 miles, after 7 months, on my Yaris 5 speed hatchback. Not a problem in 7 months, and an excellent 44.3mpg (90 day average). I drive less than 5% highway. I will be averaging 46 in the near future. I think it is an excellent car for me, now that my children are grown, and living on their own. Love my Scanguage II, great product.
If Honda offered a car just like this, I would have bought the Honda! I have owned a Honda Civic hatchback, and a Honda CRX, both great cars.

trebuchet03 04-28-2007 01:30 PM

I don't know the actual cD numbers... but just from inspection, the yaris appears to have a bit of an advantage... I don't have anything against either mfr. but, from a marketing standpoint, the Yaris is more of my demographic. That really shouldn't matter - but I'm just saying it :D

Matt Timion 04-28-2007 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebuchet03 (Post 49498)
I don't know the actual cD numbers... but just from inspection, the yaris appears to have a bit of an advantage... I don't have anything against either mfr. but, from a marketing standpoint, the Yaris is more of my demographic. That really shouldn't matter - but I'm just saying it :D

I agree. I bought the Fit for a few reasons:

1) It's a four door. Try getting a 4 year old in the back seat of a two door.

2) Honda - I love my hondas

3) I was under the impression that the difference was minimal between the Yaris and the Fit. My impression was incorrect.

The Fit ended up costing me more than I wanted to spend, and the MPG is much worse than I expected. If I could do it over I'd buy a used Prius, Civic Hybrid, or just a slightly used Civic for a lot less.

Lickitung 04-28-2007 05:59 PM

When I was car shopping it was a tough choice between the Fit and Yaris. I slightly prefered the Fit because it had 4 doors and I liked the 60/40 seats that came standard, however the price kept me from buying it. I was able to get invoice price on the Yaris and I just couldn't bring myself to spend the extra money on the Fit when I felt that they were both great small cars. After almost 2 months I'm happy with my choice, I love my Yaris.

trebuchet03 04-28-2007 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion (Post 49516)
The Fit ended up costing me more than I wanted to spend, and the MPG is much worse than I expected. If I could do it over I'd buy a used Prius, Civic Hybrid, or just a slightly used Civic for a lot less.

This seems to be the general consensus I'm seeing on other forums (I just did a little google searching). The fit delivers exactly what Honda said it would -- but the buyers that wanted higher FE aren't as happy because they wanted more [FE] for their money. Don't get me wrong, I found plenty of happy customers too :p

Perhaps it goes back to the advertised demographic? The Fit was advertised "is Go" while the yaris was advertised as "don't break the bank - don't eat lots of gas" - even though in the yaris commercial, it broke the piggy bank :p

If I had to pick (price not being an option) - I'd probably go for the Yaris. Mostly because I have always driven a sedan or wagon... Just to change things up :)