Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Acetone additive : big dissappointment (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/acetone-additive-big-dissappointment-4412.html)

GasSavers_Antoine 04-28-2007 12:31 PM

Acetone additive : big dissappointment

Well as I said in another thread, I saw an improvement in FC by adding acetone to fuel (around 8% improvement). That was on regular driving. But today I made a better controlled test on a 19,5 km runway that gave no improvement of acetone additive over regular fuel.

Here are the facts of the test conducted on rural roads mostly flat with 3 stops and 2 low gear cornering. Round trip starting at a standstill. Wind NE 20 kmh. I did the runway 5 times, 2 without acetone , 2 with acetone 1:1000 ( 1 part for 1000 parts fuel), these four at low economy speed, and a fifth one at regular speed just for sake of comparison on FE.

Car: Smart diesel 800cc turbo 40HP.
Pavement: dry even under little drizzle
Temperature : 5?C covered.
Speed: Slow economy speed around 60-65 kmh.
Load: avg around 40 tail wind and around 50 head wind.
Acceleration: Load around 60 (or 70 going uphill).
Measuring tool : Scangage 2

Here are the results:

Without acetone additive:

1st run: 2,3 li/100 avg speed 57 kmh.
2nd run: 2,2 li/100 avg speed 55 kmh.

With acetone (1:1000):

3rd run: 2,3 li/100 avg speed 55 kmh.
4th run: 2,2 li/100 avg speed 55 kmh.

With acetone regular speed (no comparaison here):

5th run : 3,2 li/100 avg speed 70 kmh.

Hockey4mnhs 04-28-2007 12:53 PM

it might be because its a diesel anyone else think so?

Matt Timion 04-28-2007 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey4mnhs (Post 49488)

Nah, I think it's because acetone doesn't improve your gas mileage.

SVOboy 04-28-2007 01:17 PM

Quote:

I think so! And I also think the reason I didn't see any improvement was because I have a gas engine, if you get my drift.

trebuchet03 04-28-2007 01:24 PM

Quote:

Not really... one of the claimed benefits is better vaporization of fuel.... Gasoline, diesel, kerosene, etc. etc. all need to be in vapor form to combust...

GasSavers_Antoine 04-28-2007 02:37 PM

Quote:

I don't think so ! Acetone is said to be better with diesel engine !

Well we'll see later with another test ( the last one) when my tank will be clean of acetone. Next one will be done on a longer run, and at higher speed.

A few doubts persist : The first one, last time I didn't see improvement on the scanguage but 8% improvement at the end of the tank with pen & paper calc.
Second doubt, maybe the acetone used today was too old, I mean pre-mix last fall with diesel. I will try to find out later.....

Gary Palmer 04-30-2007 09:28 AM

I don't know what the gig with Acetone is. I don't know if it's because it's diesel or not. What I do know is I tried it with a Honda civic and I didn't see any measurable or noticible improvement.

One problem I have encountered is that with out better tools than my gas tank and filling, it is pretty tough to get a real good measurement over a short period of time. Their is enough variations from one fill to another, to see improvements and then some of them, like acetone, seem to not be repeatable over a longer period of time.

Bill in Houston 04-30-2007 09:34 AM

Ya, my individual tanks bounce around a lot. Even a three-point moving average of the FE numbers bounces around a lot. Gotta get a SGII.

Matt Timion 04-30-2007 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Palmer (Post 49701)
I don't know what the gig with Acetone is. I don't know if it's because it's diesel or not. What I do know is I tried it with a Honda civic and I didn't see any measurable or noticible improvement.

One problem I have encountered is that with out better tools than my gas tank and filling, it is pretty tough to get a real good measurement over a short period of time. Their is enough variations from one fill to another, to see improvements and then some of them, like acetone, seem to not be repeatable over a longer period of time.

Well Gary, it's quite obvious to me that you're a spy for the oil company and you're only here to put out disinformation to prevent other people from knowing the truth about acetone.

hound_13 07-25-2008 11:10 AM

Diesel was the culprit

Ya, I also think it was the diesel fuel. Acetone only works with gasoline operated engines. Also, the combustion process is totally different when gasoline and diesel are compared.