Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Ditching the A/C compressor in 100-105 degree heat and 100% humidity?? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/ditching-the-a-c-compressor-in-100-105-degree-heat-and-100-humidity-4416.html)

jj94auto 04-28-2007 06:03 PM

Ditching the A/C compressor in 100-105 degree heat and 100% humidity??

I was thinking of getting rid of my AC compressor altogether from my 92 Protege since it is broken, but it is TOOOOOO hot in the DC summers.

Sorry, but cracking the windows 1 inch all the way around just won't cut it.

I can't stand the heat!

I was thinking of running some tubes into the interior to get some air into the interior, but not sure if it is doable and practical.

FYI - Turning the HVAC control to fan is nowhere near acceptable either.

I have had a thermometer in the AC vent during the summer and it has read 180-185 degrees.

Leaving the windows open doesn't cool things down to a comfortable level either.

I am forced to drive with my windows down all the way on the highway and i am confident that it is sucking more gas.

I am thinking about just getting a junkyard compressor in there and recharging the ac myself, but I don't want to go through the money on this beater.

Any thoughts?

By the way, I am forced to wear business casual to work. I could go to work with a tee shirt and shorts then change, but it is still too hot here!

Thanks

zpiloto 04-28-2007 07:26 PM

You could try these.

Peakster 04-28-2007 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj94auto (Post 49526)
I am forced to drive with my windows down all the way on the highway and i am confident that it is sucking more gas.

I only saw a 1.8% FE decrease with both windows rolled down in my car on the highway @ 50mph. 1.8% decrease really isn't much at all. Also, do you have your rear windows tinted? It does wonders for lowing cabin temperature.

caprice 04-29-2007 12:59 AM

It matters where you live but Some states alow you to have tint on the front door windows. Some allow darker than others. Here in Arizona the police don't bother you about the front tint usally. I put 5% tint on my cars, door windows, even a 6 inch strip at the top of the windshield! :cool: the more the better. As long as the car moving it is fine. stoplights suck though.

I try to always bring Icewater with me, and that makes a big differnce. Also as long as you aren't thinking about the heat, it's not bad at all :D

omgwtfbyobbq 04-29-2007 01:52 AM

100% humidity? Get A/C! I'm o.k. w/ up to ~110-120, but that's with next to no humidity....

Bill in Houston 04-29-2007 03:52 AM

There's gotta be a way to make a seat cover that has those blue ice packs all over it... make it cover the whole bottom and about halfway up the back. You could put it in the freezer at work during the day... Just thinking out loud... OR, make a vest with ice packs in it.

Also, drinking freezing cold water will help some.

rh77 04-29-2007 04:23 AM

Cold Vest

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill in Houston (Post 49565)
There's gotta be a way to make a seat cover that has those blue ice packs all over it... make it cover the whole bottom and about halfway up the back. You could put it in the freezer at work during the day... Just thinking out loud... OR, make a vest with ice packs in it.

Also, drinking freezing cold water will help some.

The vest is a great idea...:thumbup:

For medical patients with temperature sensative diseases (i.e. Muscular Dystrophy) a vest is available that pumps cool or warm water through the vest. They're rather expensive, but I suppose you could rig-up something similar with a small pump, some tubes, and a reservoir.

RH77

lovemysan 04-29-2007 05:55 AM

You could make a cooler based air conditioner. Basically its a cooler full of ice with a fan on top. Windows down is generally always cheaper than a/c on.

How about an 800watt inverter connected to a high effeciency 5000btu a/c in the trunk. Some of them draws as little as 5amps 110v.

VetteOwner 04-29-2007 07:04 AM

oh its not that bad i live in IL, same temps same humidity. both my cars were made without ac, you dont relaly need it. and roll the windows all the way down! ac vs windows down, ac is always going to kill your mpg...

set the fan on high blasting thru the vents right at your face(wait a few aseconds so the hot air that was in the vents can escape) and have the windows all the waty down. get one of thsoe silver accordian style sun shades and always put it in your windshield makes a world of difference! also window tint helps ALOT! ive had to do this for several summers and its not bad. yes stuck in traffic does suck but ac is for wimps! :D

Hockey4mnhs 04-29-2007 07:35 AM

i want to invest in some tint also because it seems to help a ton in my friends cars