Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Something interesting about my car. (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/something-interesting-about-my-car-4469.html)

Compaq888 05-06-2007 02:55 AM

Something interesting about my car.

When I bought my car I noticed the engine bay was super clean. The underbody was super clean too. The clutch was hard as hell(really hard to push in), pulled like crazy in high speeds.

Well something happened to my clutch system and it wouldn't want to go in gears, especially reverse. I had it towed to a dealer and got everything replaced. Clutch, clutch master cylender and slave cylender. After I got the new clutch I let it break in and now it feels so weak. It's not weak, but I think before I had a really good clutch. I would shift into 4th at 100mph and it would pull like crazy all the way to the speed governor(120). With the new clutch going in to 4th at a 100 feels like accelaration in 5th.

I guess whoever had the car before me really made the car for go. The IM is brand new so I'm thinking the engine had a Y8 IM and got converted to stock when the person was selling it. With the old clutch I used to rev it to 3k or more and go and it wouldn't hook up unless I shifted gears. Now if I try the same it would sit at 20mph for a 2 seconds and hook up and go.

So my main question is at 98,000 miles on what clutch is the car suppose to be on and in how many miles can I expect to get another clutch replacement???

And do you think my old cluch was messed up or just going to stock I went with a weaker clutch?

diamondlarry 05-06-2007 07:05 AM

It's all got to do with how it's driven. I was given my great-grandfather's car and, at only 52K, the clutch was slipping. The really bad thing is that the clutch had already been replaced in the car and the replacement was shot as well.:eek: He was hard of hearing and revved the engine up until he could hear it then he let the clutch out rrrreeeeaaaallll slow. There would sometimes be clouds of clutch smoke when he took off. Anyway, I replaced the clutch and drove it over 40K after that and never even had to adjust it. My retired Saturn had over 130K on it's clutch and was working fine, my '87 Horizon had 139K+ and was still working, and my son's '97 Saturn has just shy of 170K and still works great. So iwould say that the more you stay away from 3K hole shots and other harsh(non-FE) tactics the longer it will last. In fact, it could possibly outlast the car with proper technique.

SVOboy 05-06-2007 07:51 AM

There are many types of clutches, each with different grabs and things. If you want more grab, get a harder clutch, but you'll be more apt to kill it and have drivability issues (especially with such a weak engine).

And I do not think your car has a governor, honda didn't put them on the US models of the EK civics (to the best of my knowledge).

In any case, don't come here whining when you die in some unnecessary, foolish car wreck. Learn to drive sensibly before you hurt someone who doesn't deserve it.

Compaq888 05-06-2007 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 50270)
There are many types of clutches, each with different grabs and things. If you want more grab, get a harder clutch, but you'll be more apt to kill it and have drivability issues (especially with such a weak engine).

And I do not think your car has a governor, honda didn't put them on the US models of the EK civics (to the best of my knowledge).

In any case, don't come here whining when you die in some unnecessary, foolish car wreck. Learn to drive sensibly before you hurt someone who doesn't deserve it.

Your post contradicts itself. If I die, how will I be able to post???

Trust me I have a governor with the fuel cut. Whenever it hits 120 on my speedo and 114mph on the SG2 it cuts fuel.

thisisntjared 05-06-2007 02:50 PM

...nevermind.