Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   exxon / mobils 100mpg carb (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/exxon-mobils-100mpg-carb-4501.html)

GasSavers_Brock 05-09-2007 11:24 AM

I did hear, probably not true, but that mysterious patent was for fuel inection vs carb's. If that was true, everyone is using fuel injection vs carbs that I know of. Does anyopne still use carbs?

Bill in Houston 05-09-2007 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 50752)
I did hear, probably not true, but that mysterious patent was for fuel inection vs carb's. If that was true, everyone is using fuel injection vs carbs that I know of. Does anyone still use carbs?

No, Exxon owns all the good patents. ;-)

Pretty sure that no new cars in the first world have carbs...

SVOboy 05-09-2007 11:50 AM

Some scooters still use carbs, :p

I only know about honda, but they are going to be phasing PGMFI into all of their powersports by 2010.

Mike T 05-09-2007 09:11 PM

I have one of those carbs on my bicycle. Seriously.

LOL

GasSavers_Ryland 05-10-2007 04:36 AM

I love that about patents, that anyone can do a search by patent number, or name, or patent type even I think, alowing anyone who would like to make one for them self to read thru it, look at all the sumited drawings, and even make one for them self, you just can't make a profit off it

kwtorbe 05-11-2007 11:17 PM

I bet it is a single barrell 20cfm that will let your motor have a whole 9hp and go 35mph after 2 hours of accelerating.

We could all get 100mpg if we strangled our motors and drove 35mph everywhere.....

Besides that 40's engines were primarily flatheads that had horrible quench, compression ratio, spark, timing, and everything else for that matter. Generators took alot more power than the common alternator too...

Ford Man 07-08-2008 07:31 AM

[QUOTE We could all get 100mpg if we strangled our motors and drove 35mph everywhere.....

I would be willing to do a lot of my driving at 35 mph if I could get 100mpg vs 45mpg driving 50-55.

GasSavers_ALS 07-08-2008 08:07 AM

Shush it's not the evil oil companies it was the U.S. government that destroyed the original carb and put the patent in the CIA's vault for safe keeping. The possibility of a 100 mpg carburetor out there the government would lose billions in fuel taxes. :p

dkjones96 07-08-2008 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALS (Post 110033)
Shush it's not the evil oil companies it was the U.S. government that destroyed the original carb and put the patent in the CIA's vault for safe keeping. The possibility of a 100 mpg carburetor out there the government would lose billions in fuel taxes. :p

If they did have something like that, the party that made it public by saying a government sponsored scientist hired by the president would probably be able to use it to get back into the election chair(the party anyways) for a long time.

An electronic carb CAN get better mileage than fuel injection. Carburetors are emulsifiers while EFI just 'injects' the fuel. The late 80s Corollas had electronic carbs and they did fairly decent. Just about as hard to control mixture as TBI so you would really need 4 small ones to even match EFI today.

Sludgy 07-08-2008 11:23 AM

I think you're talking about the Pogue carburetor. It was supposed to pre-vaporize the fuel: https://www.rexresearch.com/pogue/1pogue.htm

This idea has some merit: By vaporizing the fuel, the engine could run extremely lean, increasing the completeness of combustion while simultaneously reducing pumping losses. This is similar in concept to Smokey Yunick's turbocharger system, and to recent HCCI engine designs.

Still, it's hard to belived that a Pogue carburetor could move any vehicle 100 miles on a gallon of gas with the low compression engines of the day, unless top speed was restricted to say, 25 mph.