Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Bumper sticker ethics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/bumper-sticker-ethics-4581.html)

lovemysan 05-19-2007 07:08 PM

Bumper sticker ethics

I'd like to make some stickers for my sideskirts since they get so much attention

I was thinking along this lines, but would like suggestions

Got 50mpg?

TDI killer

Hybrid eater

50mpg, really!

100hp+plastic car=50mpg

100hp+driver mod=50mpg

Ethics gets involved when I say "TDI killer". Could I conclude from the add below that mileage is equal/superior to the average TDI?

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/car/334320004.html

Snax 05-19-2007 07:15 PM

How about a picture of a gas pump with the text "I pass more gas".

Hockey4mnhs 05-19-2007 09:31 PM

i wouldent say anything about tdi because not to many people even know what that is. i like the got 50 mpg one tho

cfg83 05-19-2007 10:36 PM

lovemysan -

You could go for the "I want to help you" version :

I Get 50 MPG!
Ask Me How!

CarloSW2

LxMike 05-20-2007 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 51943)
lovemysan -

I Get 50 MPG!
Ask Me How!

CarloSW2

I like this one. especialy with gas prices the way they are.

MnFocus 05-20-2007 04:12 AM

I like the "Got 50 mpg?" also . An abbreviated "Driver mod = 50 mpg" would be good .

Maillemann 05-20-2007 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovemysan (Post 51935)
TDI killer

I think anything involving the word "killer" is best avoided for numerous reasons, and when plastered on a vehicle particularly. While I'm not generally of the "politically correct" leaning I must say that I find subtle, smart bumper stickers far more appealing than the brutish, over-the-head variety.

I do like these - simple and to the point: MPG Stick!

Besides, from looking at your numbers I'm gonna have to say you're not "killing" even the average TDI.

zpiloto 05-20-2007 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maillemann (Post 51949)
I think anything involving the word "killer" is best avoided for numerous reasons, and when plastered on a vehicle particularly. While I'm not generally of the "politically correct" leaning I must say that I find subtle, smart bumper stickers far more appealing than the brutish, over-the-head variety.

I do like these - simple and to the point: MPG Stick!

Besides, from looking at your numbers I'm gonna have to say you're not "killing" even the average TDI.

I agree why be confrontational. Your doing ok with the Saturn just keep it positive. You might be close to some TDI or hybrids but maybe try to spread a message that get everyone thinking on better mileage instead of rubbing it in that your getting better MPG than a very few. YMMV

Snax 05-20-2007 06:13 AM

https://www.kipanderson.net/media/Pass gas.JPG
* Warning, the image of the pump was pilferred from another site.

Hockey4mnhs 05-20-2007 08:06 AM

wait dont we pass les gas?

Snax 05-20-2007 08:12 AM

In a strictly literal sense, 'we' (well at least most of us) don't pass less gas in this context, our vehicles do.

Perhaps 'Passing the Pump' would be less ambiguous though.

ELF 05-20-2007 01:06 PM

We pass more gas? LOL, my grandpa has that one on his wheel chair, and it doesn't have anything to do with gasoline..... to much prune juice, maybe ? = methane gas? :D

MnFocus 05-20-2007 01:18 PM

:D Definitely some hot air here ...;)

Lug_Nut 05-20-2007 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovemysan (Post 51935)
Could I conclude from the add below that mileage is equal/superior to the average TDI?

No. This is a PD (pumpe-duse, or pump-injector) engine which is not (yet) average. The majority of the TDI in the states are still the VE or rotary distributor pump type used since the Rabbit diesel of the early 80's (although not TDI until 1996). The PD has some advantages, namely that it avoided some patent and licensing issues, but now even VW are going to the common rail type of injection system on the 2008 models. The PD is not known in TDI circles as being economical with fuel. A VE pump TDI with chip tuning will have equal power and still superior fuel mileage. The result is that the PD won't be 'average' to the US TDI before the number of CR systems overtake the attrition of the VE pumps.
BTW, The PD system is extremely sensitive to fuel viscosity. B100 biodiesel use in these is still being debated as to whether or not the thicker fuel will accelerate wear on the nearly intolerably high fuel system pressures.
The debate on the biodiesel and the VE pumps is settled: No problems.

lovemysan 05-20-2007 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lug_Nut (Post 52037)
No. This is a PD (pumpe-duse, or pump-injector) engine which is not (yet) average. The majority of the TDI in the states are still the VE or rotary distributor pump type used since the Rabbit diesel of the early 80's (although not TDI until 1996). The PD has some advantages, namely that it avoided some patent and licensing issues, but now even VW are going to the common rail type of injection system on the 2008 models. The PD is not known in TDI circles as being economical with fuel. A VE pump TDI with chip tuning will have equal power and still superior fuel mileage. The result is that the PD won't be 'average' to the US TDI before the number of CR systems overtake the attrition of the VE pumps.
BTW, The PD system is extremely sensitive to fuel viscosity. B100 biodiesel use in these is still being debated as to whether or not the thicker fuel will accelerate wear on the nearly intolerably high fuel system pressures.
The debate on the biodiesel and the VE pumps is settled: No problems.

So your saying that I the sticker could say "TDIish mileage"

No I don't feel confrontational stickers are helpful. I plan to have gassavers on the car also

GasSavers_James 05-21-2007 03:02 AM

I was thinking of a simple homemade bumper sticker:

52 MPG, Not A Hybrid

Someday maybe I can say 60 MPG, Not a hybrid.

OdieTurbo 05-21-2007 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 51943)
lovemysan -

I Get 50 MPG!
Ask Me How!

CarloSW2

Yeppers! I like this one too! About to put the skirts on my Saturn too! (Well, lawn edging anyways)

JanGeo 05-26-2007 08:43 PM

I think keeping it simple like in my case:

GasSavers.org . . . up to 50MPG . . . GasSavers.org

minic6 05-27-2007 05:11 PM

Why not (My brain is the Hybrid)

Telco 05-28-2007 05:07 AM

TDI killer would more be interpreted as you can beat one on the dragstrip, a dubious honor at best. If you want something along those lines,

1. maximum mileage
2. twice your range, half your gas
3. saving the planet one drop of gas at a time

Or, just a simple www.gassavers.org

IF you must put stickers on.