Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   I can dream can't I? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/i-can-dream-cant-i-4638.html)

MnFocus 05-26-2007 03:06 PM

I can dream can't I?

Grill block thoughts - this idea would take some money obviously - as far as asthetics (not my p-shop & ms paint skillz LOL ) and cost to follow through ?
Grill ?
https://www.fuelly.com/attachments/fo...40165cf26c.jpg

Or No Grill ?
https://www.fuelly.com/attachments/fo...e35e24911e.jpg

Bill in Houston 05-26-2007 04:19 PM

Hold on, is the second picture real? Or is it photoshop? :-)

MnFocus 05-26-2007 04:37 PM

Not p-shop it's a ms-paint pic . Just wondering if it appears to be do-able or if I'm missing the point completely ? I've kind of decided to extend the hood line down to the bumper and fill at least part of the lower grill as well as foglamp deletion/flush cover . I am capable of doing the body work as well as the painting , not so sure if I have the bravery to chop a car with less than
2k on it though .

UfoTofU 05-26-2007 05:09 PM

I did a near complete grill block on my CRX :

https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....ht=GRILL+BLOCK

I did have to cut a little space out just to allow a little air flow though.

minic6 05-26-2007 05:18 PM

Everything that you have thought is great. How about after market sheetmetal and save the original parts.

MnFocus 05-26-2007 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UfoTofU (Post 52916)
I did a near complete grill block on my CRX :

https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....ht=GRILL+BLOCK

I did have to cut a little space out just to allow a little air flow though.

I've buzzed through that thread a few (more than a few ) times ! Lots of inspiration here . I've noticed with the SGII that my water temps run between 200-204* , so Some airflow is going to be a given . The 01 Cougar I had before the Focus had a dual stage fan one for *Hot* the second for *Hotter* (iirc 212* and 216* !!! )

MnFocus 05-26-2007 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minic6 (Post 52917)
Everything that you have thought is great. How about after market sheetmetal and save the original parts.

Upon rethink - a full mock grill cover plate utilizing another oem grill as the form would be cheap-n-easy as well as easily replaceable. I can also get a second bumper cover to mod to my hearts desire . Easy to change out too .

GasSavers_TomO 05-26-2007 06:47 PM

That grill should be removable...What I would do is remove the grill, go to Hobby Town USA (or similar hobby shop) and buy the plastikote (not sure if that is the actual name) material that is used to cover the wings of model R/C airplanes. Basically you'll just wrap it around the grill and heat-shrink it to a super nice tight fit, then just bolt the grill back on. Best part is that material comes in many, many colors and you could find some that matches your car's exterior closely. This should work for the fog lights as well. Heck, I could even come help you if you want, and if you live pretty close to Champlin.

MnFocus 05-26-2007 07:08 PM

Now that wing stuff sounds too cool ! I need to investigate that further . Yes the grill is very removable - 4 bolts and 3 or 4 plastic push rivets and its outta there . I'm thinking the fogs I can use the kitcar method of plexi bending to form covers (and it would give it a racey look too )
"close to Champlin" is relative to what close is LOL If I can walk it I'll do it .Only problem with that is I'm actually about 15 minutes from Iowa . If I'm not working in Owatonna ,I'm in Albert Lea and I drive very little other than for work . Today , me -n- furbaby walked 24 miles just for fun !

Well Derrrr! I see you you were talking coming here ! Either way its a bit of a drive from Champlin .(I'll be in Eden Prairie on the 2nd for my daughters Graduation open house though . Dang I'm gettin old ...)

GasSavers_TomO 05-26-2007 07:33 PM

Congrats on your daughter's graduation! My daughter won't be graduating for about 17 years, lol. Albert Lea is a bit to drive, but we could almost turn it into a GasSaver meet for MN since there are three or four of us in MN now.

I'm interested in the "kitcar" method of bending plexi..any links?

MnFocus 05-26-2007 07:40 PM

Better start saving now 17 years is 'barely' enough time !
The kitcar method is right here about 10 threads down , either '1st big test' thread or 'my videos' . He did a pretty good demo using a propane torch and a workmate .
A g2g might be a pretty neat deal .

JanGeo 05-26-2007 08:40 PM

Make a plug that you can insert into the grill area and remove if necessary or even louvers because that one time you need extra cooling will cause the engine to overheat and cause permanent damage will make it all NOT worth while. Higher temps is NOT good for a lot of engines these days - don't know why but my brother who works on a lot of engines from high end sports cars to motor cycles and turbines in jet aircraft said so and also Miro from Synlube.

holypaulie 05-27-2007 08:28 AM

This is my grill block.

2 Attachment(s)
I used thin aluminum sheet for my grill block. I only wonder if its enough air flow.

Attachment 500

minic6 05-27-2007 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holypaulie (Post 52978)
I used thin aluminum sheet for my grill block. I only wonder if its enough air flow.

Attachment 500

Only time and a heatwave will tell. Do you have a temp. gauge or idiot light? If a light put in a gauge, great job looks good you are all great for insperation.

As to the mention of aircraft monokote, have you used it or is it just a great idea?

MnFocus 05-27-2007 12:46 PM

Quote:

I only wonder if its enough air flow.

I see you also have the corner/fog lamps blocked . Is the lower grill open ? Is there one ? If the lower is still open ,there should be ample airflow .

JanGeo 05-27-2007 02:00 PM

That should be good for winter but the summer will require some more cooling.

Monocoat is available with a thin layer of thermal glue on one side that allows you to iron it onto a surface and have it stick and then heat it the rest that is loose and have it shrink as tight as a drum. The stuff is really strong too.

holypaulie 05-27-2007 02:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The orginal front looks just like the picture shows
https://www.gassavers.org/attachment....1&d=1180304994

I've blocked about I'd say 70%.

MnFocus 05-27-2007 03:34 PM

If you've also blocked 70% of the lower grill , I'd really stress a temperature gauge at the bare minimum .

GasSavers_TomO 05-27-2007 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minic6 (Post 52985)
As to the mention of aircraft monokote, have you used it or is it just a great idea?

I have not personally used it but I do have a friend that put together an R/C Airplane and crashed it on its maiden flight... the wood skeleton of the wing failed from impact but the monokote held up and didn't tear. It's cool stuff.

GasSavers_Ryland 05-27-2007 09:21 PM

I've gone to auto parts stores a number of times to get spray paint, and a custum mixed can of metal flake paint stuffed in to a spray can was around $12, and after giving a base coat of white it matches almost perfectly, finish it with a quick spray of clear coat and no one will be able to tell that the part wasn't factory.

kitcar 05-28-2007 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MnFocus (Post 52942)
Better start saving now 17 years is 'barely' enough time !
The kitcar method is right here about 10 threads down , either '1st big test' thread or 'my videos' . He did a pretty good demo using a propane torch and a workmate .
A g2g might be a pretty neat deal .

Darn easy to do. Just be careful with the heat. You don't need the apex of the flame tip but the outer light part of the flame. It's a gradual heating process. Too much heat will make it brittle. You can do a grill blocker without a workbench. Attach one side (top or bottom) to where it's going to be and gradually heat the stuff applying pressure to form it to the shape. Finish attaching and you're good to go!

Another thought (GM actually came up with this) is that you don't really need to totally block the grill off. A lot of Dodge Dakota guys use (honest to God) metal gutter guard as a grill guard. Rocks can't get through those little holes. This also blocks air. That's why GM SUVs and trucks have those metal inserts in them now. They did a test in 2000 on a Silverado with cardboard taped on it including blocking between the body and frame.

VXer 05-16-2008 10:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
What do you think has the least effect on temp - blocking the upper or lower grill? (Like the ones on this Focus)

Nerds laugh at me 05-18-2008 08:30 PM

Quote:

Attachment 500

Very professional looking. And cool looking too !
It looks like something that you would see done at a speed shop.
Nice touch having the aluminum which matches the car.

Have you noticed any MPG gains ( lazy. didn't read entire thread )

holypaulie 05-19-2008 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerds laugh at me (Post 100681)
Very professional looking. And cool looking too !
It looks like something that you would see done at a speed shop.
Nice touch having the aluminum which matches the car.

Have you noticed any MPG gains ( lazy. didn't read entire thread )

Thanks. I've change my lower grill block a little bit. Now the lower grill is covered 50% for better cooling. I have noticed 3 more MPG on highway with that modification. I'm planinng to make rear wheel skirt pretty soon and see what kind of gains I will get