Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Save $$$ on Wood Carving you didn't buy. (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/save-on-wood-carving-you-didnt-buy-4653.html)

CO ZX2 05-28-2007 09:10 AM

Save $$$ on Wood Carving you didn't buy.

We live in a rural area of the Colorado Rockies called Indian Mountain. A lot of Native American heritage history here.

I have had this concrete Indian bust for many years. Bought it at a flea market for $5. Considered painting it but decided it probably looked better as gray concrete. I like it so much since I stained it thought I would share it.

I had cut off a standing dead aspen tree and made a pedestal for the Indian.

A couple years ago I was staining the logs on the house and wondered if the transparent oil stain would take on the concrete and how it would look. I tried it underneath the base and it took a on nice variegated woodtone appearance. So I did the rest of it and the pedestal as you see in the photo.

We have had many who saw it and thought it was a wood carving. A wood carving with this detail could easily bring hundreds of dollars. "Aren't you afraid someone will take it?" I just smile and tell them it is concrete.

It has been outdoors summer and winter for over two years and looks as this photo I took this morning. Would work for anything as a lawn decoration desired to have a natural wood appearance.

I had to wash it before the pic. Birds have no respect for an old Indian.

Matt Timion 05-28-2007 09:22 AM

that looks really nice... and the stain does make it look like wood.

CO ZX2 05-28-2007 09:58 AM

Thanx Matt. and all for $5.

P.S. Since this is in an energy saving forum, we do use scrap tree firewood for about 80% of our heating. Used less than 200 gallons of propane in the last calendar year using for hot water and occasional forced air furnace heat.

BumblingB 06-02-2007 07:17 PM

That looks great!!!

I made my "whompin" stick out of an old tree that got knocked down in Hurricane Ivan. It is my threat stick for students. Over time co-workers added things to it when I wasn't in the office. It has had a custom grip added, spikes etc. Looks great and I just threw an old piece of wood from the tree on my lathe. How's that for recycling?

I have a standing dead pine tree and am going to use the stump as a pedistal for a picnic table in the backyard. I recently had to cut down a pine and quickly found out the tap root goes down about 8ft for a tree this size. Figure it's better to just utilize the stump instead. All around the property I plan on putting a bench & table here and there, mostly on my nature trails.

CO ZX2 06-03-2007 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wazabi Owner (Post 54582)
That looks great!!!

I made my "whompin" stick out of an old tree that got knocked down in Hurricane Ivan. It is my threat stick for students. Over time co-workers added things to it when I wasn't in the office. It has had a custom grip added, spikes etc. Looks great and I just threw an old piece of wood from the tree on my lathe. How's that for recycling?

I have a standing dead pine tree and am going to use the stump as a pedistal for a picnic table in the backyard. I recently had to cut down a pine and quickly found out the tap root goes down about 8ft for a tree this size. Figure it's better to just utilize the stump instead. All around the property I plan on putting a bench & table here and there, mostly on my nature trails.

Wazabi. Do you carry your stick when hypermiling??

BumblingB 06-03-2007 11:56 AM

No, I keep full attention on driving and BOTH hands on the wheels. :D Oh geez....did I say full attention? I meant I focus on driving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO ZX2 (Post 54773)
Wazabi. Do you carry your stick when hypermiling??