Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   civic vx (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/civic-vx-4673.html)

boofighter 05-29-2007 01:18 PM

civic vx

see lots of people talking about the civic vx. what is so good about it and why do people want it so bad?

Gary Palmer 05-29-2007 01:26 PM

Because it has a motor, ecu, transmission combination that give you a car with a reasonable amount of power, four reasonable seats and 50+ miles per gallon of gasoline. It has a Vtec motor, with a wide band oxygen sensor, 49 state version, which goes into a lean burn mode, which is what gives it the mileage/performance it has.

c3474i 05-29-2007 02:15 PM

It actually has a vtec-e. It only runs one intake valve until 3k rpm and then switches over to using both intake valves. The increased air velocity along with "lean burn mode" allows for better mixing of the air and fuel allowing a ratio of up to 22, most hondas are tuned to 14.7, any less it too rich and any more will cause pre-detonation, causing a lot of damage to the motor. The vtec-e, when engaged in the vx, allows for the 92 hp rating, while still allowing for excelent fuel economy under 3k rpm.

The new EPA rating is 39 mpg city and 49 mpg freeway giving the vx close to hybrid gas milage. If you read some toyota prius gas logs you will find that some owners only get 35-40 mpg. The vx, in some cases, surpasses the milage of hybrids while not having the $5000 battery replacement cost of hybrids. Also, if you read the "dust to dust" report you will find that when manufacturing and maintenance costs are factored over the life of the vehicle, the prius is 30% the energy cost of a Hummer. Since most of the U.S. is powered by coal (used to manufacture the car), the OVERALL pertrolium cost of a prius is 4 to 5 times more than a vx (and 30% higher than a hummer!!). After all this is considered, I'm assuming the vx is probably the most environmental friendly car in the U.S. period.

boofighter 05-29-2007 02:18 PM

that is interesting. it seems like all i ever hear about is the hot rodded civics like the si and other type r's. interesting that they made a car like this.
what years were they available? or are they still making them? did they sell them in canada?

SVOboy 05-29-2007 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boofighter (Post 53256)
that is interesting. it seems like all i ever hear about is the hot rodded civics like the si and other type r's. interesting that they made a car like this.
what years were they available? or are they still making them? did they sell them in canada?

1992-1995, dunno about canada because of emissions, but california had another model without lean-burn.

I would also say that the rationale assigning a hummer less environmental impact has dubious origins...

c3474i 05-29-2007 02:28 PM

92-95 in hatch only. And yes, in canada (mine is stamped made in canada).
The hx (96-00 2 door coupe) also has a vtec-e motor but becuase of the extra weight only get about 35-42 mpg (don't know about canada on those..).

c3474i 05-29-2007 02:35 PM

I was hesitant about the hummer thing, too, but think about all the mining, refining, and manufacturing to make all the extra parts a prius needs. All those proceses use petroleum... not only that but think about what happens when a prius is wrecked vs. a hummer. Its far more likely that the hummer will be repaired and back on the road, not "totaled out". So, as far as life time (milage) expectancy you probably need to make two priuses to match that of one hummer... I thought about this way too much! :)

SVOboy 05-29-2007 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3474i (Post 53262)
I thought about this way too much! :)

It's not the amount, it's the quality...but I don't have time to argue about it so hopefully some one else will say something.

GasSavers_Ryland 05-29-2007 08:29 PM

all vx's sold in the us were made in canada, and I'm pretty sure they were sold there to, but I can't say for sure.
the main reason that most people don't talk much about the civic vx, or hx is that most people don't care, when gas was $1.20 a gallon that there was a car that got 50mpg, would you have cared? why do you care now?
it's not a fancy car, and auto magazines like to write about fancy cars, hybrids get notice because of the tecnolegy that goes in to them, they are neat, and specail, and hi tec, a bicycle is a great from or transpertation, but it has been pushed to the catigory of that thing you ride on a sunday after noon on a trail.
I've had a number of people ask me why I don't want to get a "real car" or a faster one, my brother is the kind of person who if he had my car he would do an engine swap so it would go faster, all in all my opinion of amaricans is pretty low, but they haven't done much to give me reason to change my mind.

GasSavers_McGee 05-30-2007 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boofighter (Post 53256)
did they sell them in canada?

I've seen a couple online in the toronto area:
https://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...QAdIdZ14675625
:)