Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   New kid on the blizzock (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/new-kid-on-the-blizzock-4737.html)

Gay-o 06-01-2007 07:03 AM

New kid on the blizzock

Adding one more Geo to the fleet! I've been lurking and studying since the MSN 50mpg article and had to jump in.

I have an '01 Saturn SL that gets 41mpg without driving it special at all. Love that car, but my wife has a farther commute and gets the Satty.

I have a '97 Volvo 850R Turbo wagon that gets ~28 hwy, but average mpg is only 21.5 according to the computer. So it only gets driven on long trips. Although there is something VERY cool about a station wagon that will hang with the Mustang GTs and do 155mph!

My daily driver and the reason I'm here is a '93 Geo Prizm Lsi I bought a year ago for $600. It should get way better mileage than it does. I've always coasted where I can, and my last tank averaged 31.4mpg. I'm shooting for 50.

I guess the rest of these details can be put in my car profile, I'll spare your eyes. Thanks for a great site with lots of info!

SVOboy 06-01-2007 07:05 AM

Sounds like you've got a good start! How mechanically adept are you? The lsi would take nicely to some xfi guts, :)

Welcome to the site!

Gay-o 06-01-2007 07:10 AM

I've turned a few wrenches. The problem I always run into is finding the time to do it. That's why there's 3 cars at my house and 2 drivers. Gotta have a back up when you're fixing something. As for engine swaps, I don't have a hoist or a wife that sees the need yet, so my goal with the gay-o is to max out my mpg with what I've got:
  • 1.8L (the bigger prizm motor)
  • 195/70 tires, when 175/65 are what's supposed to be there
  • auto trans
  • busted right corner of front clip

SVOboy 06-01-2007 07:13 AM

Ah, it's a prizm and an auto, there's the problem. Any luck trading it to someone for a stick?

Gay-o 06-01-2007 07:24 AM

I'm always on the lookout and there's an older Saturn 5spd near me I wouldn't mind having. If I get something else though, it needs to be newer so I can use my ScanGauge. I love coasting the Saturn with the SG and seeing 210mpg! My goal is to take info from this site and use it to at least match the Saturn's mpg with the auto Geo.

This current tank of gas I have the tires to 45psi (35 is max recommended, doh), I'm parking so I can pull forward, I'm setting the cruise at 65mpg, and I'm coasting out of my driveway before I start the car. We'll see how far that gets me, then it's time for MODS!!!!

SVOboy 06-01-2007 07:25 AM

You can get a supermid for the other cars, :)

Slowing down to 55 will help alot too, :)

Gay-o 06-01-2007 08:29 AM

I shall search for the supermid. Do we get a discount anywhere for being members of gassavers?

SVOboy 06-01-2007 09:01 AM

Talk to matt about getting a gs buy together and mehbe it will happen, :p

GasSavers_Ryland 06-01-2007 05:58 PM

I was going to say that you should be getting at least 40mpg with the geo, as the one that my mom used to have that got driven 3 miles per trip avered about 41mpg, and the guy who ended up buying it got closer to 43mpg on longer trips, and driving FAST all the time, of course the 155/80-13 tires helped alot, I say trade it in for a manual befor everyone else catches on.

lovemysan 06-02-2007 07:35 PM

That 3 speed auto is killing your mileage. I've driven a 95 corolla(basically same drivetrain)

Slow down, get the convertor locked up and keep it locked up.