Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Hummer H2 - How Can I Get Better MPG & Reduce Emissions? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/hummer-h2-how-can-i-get-better-mpg-and-reduce-emissions-4764.html)

HummerH2 06-02-2007 11:39 AM

Hummer H2 - How Can I Get Better MPG & Reduce Emissions?

Hi!

I Have a Hummer H2. I know, the most unfriendly vehicle as far as gas milage is concerned.

I would like to know what suggestions any of you may have so I can improve my gas milage (Besides selling the car or destroying it).

I read the Goverment newsletter on how to improve gas milage and it is very basic. Drive at 55mph, do not make hard stops, use gasoline that is the cheapest, etc...

I have heard of gas improvement gadgets like the Vortex Valve, the Tornado, Fuel Saver, Fuel Optimiser, and other gadgets that either work with the intake valve or magnetically on the fuel line.

Do any of you know if these work and if not, is there somenthing out there that will improve gas milage and reduce emissions?

Thanks!

zpiloto 06-02-2007 11:46 AM

Here's a place to start. Driving techniques will definately give you the best return on MPG's and they're free. Welcome to the site. Poke around lots of info to look over.

SVOboy 06-02-2007 11:47 AM

Mosty gadgets are junk, perhaps not all, but most. Check out www.fuelsaving.info for some good gadget debunking.

Welcome to the site.

omgwtfbyobbq 06-02-2007 11:49 AM

Most of those are definitely scammish. Is your H2 M/T or auto? I'm assuming you have the 6L V8... Assuming this isn't a troll, you're probably going to have to go after aggressive gearing/rolling resistance/aerodynamic mods to reach the 20mpg range, but I'm sure you can approach 13-15mpg by limiting the amount of city driving you do and only going ~55-60mph with the cruise control on during highway stints.

Matt Timion 06-02-2007 11:51 AM

I agree with SVOboy. Most of the gadgets are just gadgets...

think of it like this.

You paid what, $30k for your H2? If it only cost the Hummer people an extra $50 for some magnets, a tornado, or a fuel vaporizor to turn your 10MPG vehicle into a 20MPG vehicle, why wouldn't they install it themselves?

Imagine the advertising potential for a 20MPG Hummer.

That alone should make anyone realize that the gadgets, while interesting (That you should investigate---I'm sure they're advertised on this site), probably won't work.

HummerH2 06-02-2007 12:13 PM

Thanks! Yes, my H2 is a 6L V8 4 speed Automatic.

Matt Timion 06-02-2007 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HummerH2 (Post 54483)
Thanks! Yes, my H2 is a 6L V8 4 speed Automatic.

just curious... what is your current MPG?

omgwtfbyobbq 06-02-2007 12:25 PM

I spent a couple grand on video games in college, everyone does weird shiz.

HummerH2 06-02-2007 12:29 PM

Unfortunately, no scientific or intelligent rationale. Just bought it because they gave me a great deal and my wife and kid loved the car not to mention myself.

This is one of those things you then have buyers remorse...

My current mpg is 10 - 13 depending on either city or highway.

Hockey4mnhs 06-02-2007 12:41 PM

start a gaslog and try to get some good % over epa maybe that will kill some of the hostility. does your wife have a car that gets better mileage? if so just try to drive that more to of set the insane amount of gas used by the H2