Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   newbie@100mpg??!!!!!!!!!!!! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/newbie-100mpg-4847.html)

virago250 06-06-2007 08:16 AM

newbie@100mpg??!!!!!!!!!!!!

alright I ran across this site awhile back and decided to join. Last year my gas guzzling 4x4 chevy was hurting th wallet. So I went to the local motorcyle dealer and got a yamaha virago 250 the next day. I got around 65 to 72 mpg all last year. At the start of this year I was only getting 60 to 65 mpg. Well I had moved into the country and was commuting by freeway. After running across this site I decided to try drastically changing my driving habits. I now do not drive faster than 45mph instead of 75mph and take back country roads along with killing the ignition at red lights. My first tank rinding like this got 112miles and used 1.17 gallons Thats a cool 95mpg. Just changing how I dive did all this. I am now on my second tank and am going for the 100 mark. If I cut the ignition when coming to stopsigns and keep my speed below 40 I think its possible. I would love some more ideas on how to keep improving and comments on my progress. Also I cannot find the epa rating of the virago and would appreciate help in finding it. Thanks for letting me join the site it rocks!!!

omgwtfbyobbq 06-06-2007 08:20 AM

Shoot man, a smaller rear sprocket and some creative fairings should get you past 100mpg np. :thumbup:

MetroMPG 06-06-2007 08:22 AM

Welcome!

I don't think motorcycle manufacturers are required to do fuel consumption testing, so there generally aren't published ratings available. Best bet is owner forums - but I doubt you'll find very many other virago owners getting 95 mpg ;)

Congrats on your newfound ability to take control of your fuel consumption with your right foot ... er, hand.

virago250 06-06-2007 08:26 AM

Yeah I plan on changing to a smaller rear sproket when I get new tires probly in the fall and maybe have time to build the fairings over winter. thanks for the input and I love the quote from Formula Two

GasSavers_StanleyD 06-06-2007 09:06 AM

You may have heard this a million times already, but aside from keeping your bike well-tuned have you tried putting just a little more air in your tires? Also, do you ride with your head low to cut down on drag? Have you thought about cutting drag from your wheels by installing "disc covers" (not sure what they are called) on your rims. Wind deflector??? I dont know how much of a difference these aero mods would make though at only 40mph

SVOboy 06-06-2007 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyD (Post 55442)
You may have heard this a million times already, but aside from keeping your bike well-tuned have you tried putting just a little more air in your tires? Also, do you ride with your head low to cut down on drag? Have you thought about cutting drag from your wheels by installing "disc covers" (not sure what they are called) on your rims. Wind deflector??? I dont know how much of a difference these aero mods would make though at only 40mph

I think on a bike any aero mod will mean a lot.

Welcome to the site! I am looking forward to buying a bike myself!

virago250 06-06-2007 09:41 AM

The bike is well tuned, but you gave me the idea of looking for some synthetic oil. And After this tank I will have to try a tank with my head tucked to see the affets and I hope to completly cover the wheels and rims this winter when i do the areo mods. You guys are awsome thanks for all teh help maybe this time next year I can get to 120 or even 130mpg with all the new Ideas.

hawkgt647 06-06-2007 09:56 AM

100 Mpg +

Don't wear loose flapping clothing. Try tucking in your legs, hug the tank and frame.
It'll look goofy, but lean forward and tuck down as much as possible.
Use the red kill switch and pull in the clutch, coast whenever it's safe to do it. Just remember to flip the kill switch back to restart.
Don't use the choke any longer than needed, it's really an enrichment circuit. Short shift it without lugging the engine. Don't load it down with saddle bags. A tank bag sometimes help to lean forward into.

virago250 06-06-2007 10:09 AM

I'll deffinitly start wearing tighter jeans and leaning forward behind the windsheild like you suggest on my next tank of fuel it should provide some big improvement since I am 6' 2" and 198lbs. Right now its warm enough I dont even use the choke to start. And I have be coasting and using the kill switch much more on this tank of fuel compared to my last one. thanks hawkqt647

virago250 06-06-2007 02:22 PM

thanks clencher I would realll feel the raw metal on my behind. Mabey next I'll take off the brakes to save weight????