Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   We won! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/we-won-4876.html)

bbgobie 06-08-2007 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landspeed (Post 55967)

P.S. I'm sorry if I am a bit mischievous putting 'nuclear' into the list above - but if we had had nukes from the start, then we would have a fair amount of waste to deal with now, but this could be stored safely enough (I also hate the idea of leaving it for future generations), but it is better than flooding most of our land with sea level rises and turning most of the world into desert (even making the air temperature go to 70 degrees C if the methane hydrates all get released at once)...

What storage method is garaunteed safe for the next 100,000 years or so? Everything we've buried in the ground has come back to bite us. Landfills leak, buried gas tanks leak, oil lines leak... Maybe it'll mix with some of the worlds oil supplies and we'll have nuked oil. Imagine the awesome FE gains that would make!

landspeed 06-08-2007 11:54 AM

The US (and China, Russia) will REFUSE to lower emissions!
Europe will lower them a little bit.

If we stopped putting out CO2 now, it may already be too late.

Nuclear just buys us time until we can get the renewable energy online (which will take some time - although global warming will no doubt help with solar panels and wind turbines)

If the government needs to replace a power station, or build a new one, I support nuclear all the way (while also gradually building up a renewable infrastructure). Note that renewable energy takes ages - e.g. wind turbines always take years due to local protesters at the damage to the skyline.

Myself, I will continue to reduce my CO2 footprint, both in my car, and by reducing my energy usage at home.

landspeed 06-08-2007 11:56 AM

https://www.world-nuclear-news.org/ar...cross_demo.jpg

I watched this - it was one half of Britain's Plutonium production plants.

Although this one power station did supply power to South West Scotland, and a lot of the North of england, in its time.

repete86 06-08-2007 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landspeed (Post 55967)
Scotland does pretty, but most of England goes underwater!

Being Scottish, do you really mind all that much?

SVOboy 06-08-2007 04:09 PM

What would the world do without sexy british accents?

cfg83 06-09-2007 12:11 AM

bbgobie -

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbgobie (Post 55989)
What storage method is garaunteed safe for the next 100,000 years or so? Everything we've buried in the ground has come back to bite us. Landfills leak, buried gas tanks leak, oil lines leak... Maybe it'll mix with some of the worlds oil supplies and we'll have nuked oil. Imagine the awesome FE gains that would make!

Nothing like radioactive water tables to ruin your DNA.

CarloSW2

repete86 06-10-2007 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 56136)
bbgobie -

Nothing like radioactive water tables to ruin your DNA.

CarloSW2

Speaking of which, the DOD claims that depleted uranium is so safe, that you can eat it for breakfast and feel fine. If the Department of Defense says that radioactivity is good for you, it must be, right?

cfg83 06-11-2007 12:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
repete86 -

Quote:

Originally Posted by repete86 (Post 56419)
Speaking of which, the DOD claims that depleted uranium is so safe, that you can eat it for breakfast and feel fine. If the Department of Defense says that radioactivity is good for you, it must be, right?

Especially when they skip those pesky (required by law) blood tests before sending GIs on tours of duty (no baseline to compare to when they come back home).

https://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stat...2/series1.html
Attachment 562

Hrrrmmm, I wonder. Maybe it's a trick statement. A solid DU object that "passes through" your body may well be "safe" in the sense that the exposure is temporary. It's the DU dust particles (from explosive impacts) that get lodged in your lungs that cause a lifetime of grief.

CarloSW2

Bubba Bob 06-14-2007 06:57 PM

Radioactivity being SOO damn dangerous has been pounded in our head over the years... good greif...

Wind power? Last time i saw a wind farm, over half the turbines were down for maintence. The unit of power vs. $$ to keep it running just doesnt make sence!

Global Warming? LOL! Sorry.... hehehhe **rolls eyes**

Nuclear is the ONLY way to go.

However, Can someone educate me about Fussion? I thought fusion was nearly impossible to create on Earth. Then a few days ago I watched a show on the Discovery channel where they actually created a fusion reaction... Why did i watch this on the Discovery channel and not Fox News or CNN?!?! Shouldnt this be a major thing? Im confused....

SVOboy 06-14-2007 06:59 PM

When fusion reactions become sustainable and usable, we'll hear about it...Unfortunately there's a lot of money between now and then, :p